Ever done the math?

BowDown

Registered
Hmm... Kinda scary.

I go through 2 rear tires in the time it takes for one front..

So lets do the math..

Rear Tire = $195 w/tax + $45 install = $240
Front Tire = $120 w/tax + 45 install = $165

I get about 4500 from the rear tire, 9000 from the front. So total tire investment for 9000 miles is $645.

645 / 9000 = $0.072/mile

Hell my fuel is only... 9000 / 35 = 257 * 2.25 = 578 /9000 = $0.064/mile

So every time I fill up (@150 miles) I should be putting away $10.80 for tires along with the $9.64 for gas.

:banghead:

Glad I love to ride. Just sucks I need a new rear tire already, and don't really have an extra $240 laying around. :drinka:

$195 for the rear tire? Jeez, what kinda of rear tires you using 190/55 17?
If you ride the streets all the time Id go on ebay and buy the 180/55 17. They only $85 and last you 9k miles. Again, thats street ridding. I took the 180/55 17 to the track and they only lasted me 3k miles lol. Other then that, your math is equal to my math.

Last edited:
Was going to try something different this time around.. Changing out the BT56 for the BT16?

Even the BT56 was $160 or so...

Don't forget to add the monthly payment (if you have one), insurance cost and your average actually goes up. Also add Riding gear, oil changes, filters, maintanance costs. Then Divide the time you spend on it and that should give you the average of how much you pay per second you are sitting on it. Interesting to see how much every second costs?
:rulez:

I feel your pain... tire costs are as much if not more than fuel... is why I tow to the long distance MnG's now... cheaper to drive the car :)

Don't forget to add the monthly payment (if you have one), insurance cost and your average actually goes up. Also add Riding gear, oil changes, filters, maintanance costs. Then Divide the time you spend on it and that should give you the average of how much you pay per second you are sitting on it. Interesting to see how much every second costs?

Haha.. Do I dare? Really oil changes are just part of owning any motor vehicle for me. I mean I'm comfortable shelling about $30 for oil and a filter, and spending an hour changing it. Kinda fun. But when it comes to tires it's something I'm used to replacing once throughout the ownership of the vehicle. I have put 3 tires on this thing already and it's been about 1.5 season... Cost of ownership is alot higher.

But guess if you want to play, you gotta pay.

Well the $45 charge for mounting and balance is CRAZY!!!! I am very lucky that my boss has a tire changer at his house. It costs me a 12 pack of diet MT. Dew for mounting and balancing. He spent $500 two years ago for a complete set up. It is something to think about if you go through tires that often.

My tire dealer offers free mount and balancing with tire purchases (wheel off) and only $25 with the wheel on. Hard to beat that.:thumbsup:

My tire dealer offers free mount and balancing with tire purchases (wheel off) and only $25 with the wheel on. Hard to beat that.:thumbsup:

Mine offers $20 off bike mounting w/tire purchase. But the tires are priced about $65 more than I can buy it shipped on the net.

Interesting. I always thought it was love and passion that had me spending greenbacks and time on all that.

I might have to apply this type of math to my relationship with the S.O. and see what she's costing me per second. :laugh:

Interesting. I always thought it was love and passion that had me spending greenbacks and time on all that.

I might have to apply this type of math to my relationship with the S.O. and see what she's costing me per second. :laugh:

:rofl:

This is the very reason i'm stuck penny pinching to get a tire for the bike.

pain felt here as well... although I did find an Avon Storm rear (200) for $150 at motoxoutlet... (brings the avg down a little :thumbsup:)

saving $40 or $50 bucks a tire helps :cheerleader:

Sometimes it's just better not to know.

People who own airplanes use a term "aviation monetary units" or AMUs, as in "How many AMUs is this gonna cost?"

The trouble is that sometimes AMUs are valued at $100 and sometimes at $1000.

After 10 years of ownership, I am now relieved when my mechanic tells me it will be less than $1000. A motorcycle feels cheap by comparison!

Like I said, sometimes it's just better not to know.

And it's definitely better if your wife doesn't know! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Anyone tried a Shinko 009 Raven? Looks like a similar pattern to my BT56, and has great reviews? Also $109 shipped.

Back