Ethanol has come to town

the ethanol around Iowa is MID octane. usually around 89, VS stock Busa drinking 87. I think I noticed a slight power drop with it, but it was probably just mental

SOOOOO... will this rise of 10% eth LOWER our gas prices 5%? Nope. Didn't think so. Good stores like Quick Trip and 7/11 hand out vaseline at the pump
biggrin.gif

Then again, eth gas is like a dime cheaper per gallon so maybe that IS the savings

the ethanol around Iowa is MID octane.  usually around 89, VS stock Busa drinking 87.  I think I noticed a slight power drop with it, but it was probably just mental

SOOOOO...  will this rise of 10% eth LOWER our gas prices 5%?  Nope.  Didn't think so.  Good stores like Quick Trip and 7/11 hand out vaseline at the pump  
biggrin.gif

Then again, eth gas is like a dime cheaper per gallon so maybe that IS the savings
until you feel like eating an ear of corn...

the ethanol around Iowa is MID octane. usually around 89, VS stock Busa drinking 87. I think I noticed a slight power drop with it, but it was probably just mental

SOOOOO... will this rise of 10% eth LOWER our gas prices 5%? Nope. Didn't think so. Good stores like Quick Trip and 7/11 hand out vaseline at the pump
biggrin.gif

Exactly. With ethanol we are converting food to gasoline. With the demand for corn rising, the farmers use more of their land to grow it instead of other crops, which makes those crops be in shorter supply. Also grain is used to feed the animals that we eat. All in all, our food prices will go up because of the use of ethanol.

And the worst part is that it takes as much fossil fuel energy to produce the ethanol as the ethanol contains. In other words, we don't really gain anything, but we are consuming our food supply for no good reason.

I live in the midwest, and it's hard to find a station here that doesn't add ethanol to the gas, but I always try to stay away from the ethanol whenever possible.

ConocoPhilips products, Been using it for years in my cars and bike with no problems. Both cars are carburetor-ed and the oldest is 23yrs,when I do maintenance-all the plugs on all of the machines always come out very clean,happy using this type of fuel.

I don't remember when we didn't have 10% here in Michigan so I guess its ok being as thats what I've been using for years now.

flamethrowingsmiley.gif
AM -->
Mr Bogus @ Apr. 04 2008 said:
1362378[/ATTACH] AM]
here before to much "misinformation" gets going...

Ethanol blended fuel facts...
no time for all that reading. what is the 1 sentence summary?
1.5% loss of economy with 10% blend of ethanol
Ethanol blends are cheaper to run that straight gasoline even with loss of economy (when fuel was $1.60 a gallon, is better now at $4 per gallon) The higher % mixes did even better up to 30% ethanol

Power loss is right at 1.5% (Lower BTU output, although the "real" BTU output difference is 3 to 4%, the power loss does not follow the 1-1 ratio.. likely the oxygenation factor of the ethanol)

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

I filled my car up with it this morning, I didn't notice any difference in it either. It sounds like that if your hoses are in good shape that everything is cool. Thanks for all the responses
beerchug.gif

Ct. has been using this for years now. Zuki owners manual for K8 say no more than 10% and min 91 octane.

Ct. has been using this for years now. Zuki owners manual for K8 say no more than 10% and min 91 octane.
Does anyone know shy Suzuki changed the octane recommendation? My 05 has never had anything except 87 which is what the owners manual recommends. Assuming 44MPG and $.25 difference in price, that has saved me about $165. That isn't a bunch, but it does cover the cost of a tire.

the ethanol around Iowa is MID octane.  usually around 89, VS stock Busa drinking 87.  I think I noticed a slight power drop with it, but it was probably just mental

SOOOOO...  will this rise of 10% eth LOWER our gas prices 5%?  Nope.  Didn't think so.  Good stores like Quick Trip and 7/11 hand out vaseline at the pump  
biggrin.gif

Exactly.  With ethanol we are converting food to gasoline.  With the demand for corn rising, the farmers use more of their land to grow it instead of other crops, which makes those crops be in shorter supply.  Also grain is used to feed the animals that we eat.  All in all, our food prices will go up because of the use of ethanol.

And the worst part is that it takes as much fossil fuel energy to produce the ethanol as the ethanol contains. In other words, we don't really gain anything, but we are consuming our food supply for no good reason.

I live in the midwest, and it's hard to find a station here that doesn't add ethanol to the gas, but I always try to stay away from the ethanol whenever possible.
Corn hits record high price...

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080403/corn_at_6.html?.v=6

10% is ok, it's the E-85 that you need to worry about.
Thats right. I dont recall the last time I even saw a pump around my hood that didn't have 10% in it.
Just dont make the mistake an put E85 in your tank.
E85 is 85% Eth.
85% Eth = dead Busa.
I guess thats what killed the 2 Busa I saw at the shop the other day. The owner knows me and my Yamaha riding friend haul gas and pointed out that the 2 bikes where in because the gaskets on the fuel pumps had degraded and were leaking.

Back