Ethanol has come to town

Rayabusa0818

Never Forgotten
The store where I usually by gas has a new sticker on the pumps this morning that says the gas contains up to 10% Ethanol. Has anyone regularly used this type of gas? Any issues or suggestions?

Thanks.

If you are not going to use whatever you put it in in a timely fashion, add Sta-bil or some type of preservative.
Also, if you have older type rubber fuel lines it has a tendency to break them down and deposit the remains in idle jets/filters/etc.
Otherwise no real difference that I can tell.
dunno.gif

I haven't noticed any problems, been seeing this at my regular filling station for past 5 or 6 months.

Richmond has this gas, I live outside city limits, where I fill up without ethanol. Ethanol supposedly is a little worse gas miledge. (My K8 manual says ethanol is OK).

I am in the petroleum business and we have converted 80 stations of one of our customers down here to ethanol within the past week. We are going to be converting another 140 stations for another 2 major oil companies here within the next month. There are no real issues with the addition of ethanol fuels. As PDBusa stated if you have older fuel lines on the bike it can break it down and possibly deposit small particles of the hose into injectors and filters. For the most part we have had very little to no problems down here in South Florida within the past week since the conversion. The major concern with ethanol blended fuels is phase seperation (this happens when water is introduced into the fuel allowing the alcohol, fuel and water to seperate), this can potentially cause you to introduce alcohol directly to the fuel system and this can cause problems.
Be prepared to see this happening alot more everywhere. All of the major oil companies are going to be converting to ethanol blended fuels.

Gas milege is not affected that much by the 10% ethanol blend. Gas milege is affected greatly using the E85 ethanol fuel.

i've been using it for over a year without any issues
beerchug.gif

I've been running 10% ethanol for 41,000 miles, no problems. The ethanol has the benefit of absorbing small quanitities of water and move it through the system without any problems. 10% isn't enough to raise the corrosiveness of gasoline. E85 is not recommended for the Busa.

wow talk about delayed deployment! The west coast has had these fuels for 20 years
laugh.gif
along with MTBE (bad)

Here (Indiana) we have E85 at a good number of stations (Indiana is poised to be a BIG methanol supplier)

In AZ, the only issues we had was the ethanol tends to be a fuel system "cleaner" had a good number of plugged fuel filters and on really old stuff, leaks in rusted fuel tanks.. Carburated cars tended to have problems until "nitrile" pumps and power valves were put in..

Dear Friends

Well, which is better for the 'Busa--plain ol' unleaded or unleaded with ten-percent ethanol? I live in a very busy suburb of Atlanta and haven't noticed ethanol at our pumps. I see a lot of newer vehicles (Atlanta is a rolling new car lot) with the "Flexfuel" badge on the back, but I haven't noticed the word ethanol at any of the pumps I use.

I have 13K on 10% ethanol fuels.. never had any issues at all..

Dear Friends

Well, which is better for the 'Busa--plain ol' unleaded or unleaded with ten-percent ethanol? I live in a very busy suburb of Atlanta and haven't noticed ethanol at our pumps. I see a lot of newer vehicles (Atlanta is a rolling new car lot) with the "Flexfuel" badge on the back, but I haven't noticed the word ethanol at any of the pumps I use.
The Flex Fuel badge is for E85. 10% ethanol, or E10 does not need anything special. Note Mr. Bogus' info for older vehicles if you are just switching over.

Back