Engine Weight (again)?

bcarpman

Registered
I've found a few old post regarding engine weight, but the answers seem to vary A LOT. I've seen from 170lbs to 230lbs. That's a big disparity. Since these are old posts, has anyone put one on a scale recently? Tossing around ideas for my next custom bike. Was thinking about a v-twin from a VROD, but then I started thinking how much I like the overall power curve on my hayabusa....

I what kind of custom bike are you building? Complete custom tube frame? Maybe pictures of what you want to build would help get and answer :laugh: jk but I’m curious what kind of custom bikes you build.

@Dnyce do you have any idea what a motor weighs?

This is from a thread back in 2008, refferencing a gen1 engine, with no throttlebodies, from @GoldenChild
He sold alot of parts and engines, so he knew the weight from shipping them.
He says 200 lbs.

Screenshot_20230228-083946_Chrome.jpg

Ive handled both , but weighed only the ZRX1200 engines . 185 lb complete for a ZRX . The Busa engine feels a few pounds lighter .
I'm 5' 1" 148 lb

Idk, but it’s damn sure lighter than a gs1100 engine lol I didn’t weigh mine before I put it in. 190-200 seems close enough for govt work based on the posts above and this post I saw

[ATTACH=full]1663438[/ATTACH]

Bronto

Registered
  • Aug 17, 2004Shipping weight of a Bare Busa engine is 190 lbs. Add a throttle body, mounting hardware. It's around 200 lbs. Airbox is heavy sucker add another 15 pounds for it

Back