How much does that engine weight?

dolbydigital

Registered
Hi all,

New to this board, but been riding for almost 30 years. Started on the dirt but graduated to street with a CB125, then onto a Nighthawk S, 600 hurricane, ZX-11D, ZX-9, and most recently a RC-51. I also got into aviation a few years ago, got my private license and owned a Vari-Eze(google it) experimental aircraft until recently.

I just returned from Oshkosh Airventure air show, the Mecca of experimental aircraft, and saw something that got me thinking.
rock.gif
There was aircraft there with one of the new Harley Evo motors powering it, check it at hog-air.com. Not long after the Hayabusa was released I thought about converting the engine to aviation use but that’s about where it ended, but now my interest has been peaked again. What a great way to combine my hobbies.

Who out there knows how much the engine weights out of the bike? Preferably the weight with no fluids and only the throttlebody attached. I have been told about 150lbs, but would prefer a more accurate number.

Thanks

Welcome to the board. Hopefully someone will be able to give you an accurate answer.

How about the weight of a TURBO-charged Busa engine?
laugh.gif

One step at a time, but a turbo motor would be very interesting primarily for altitude compensation not so much for the added HP.
biggrin.gif

Shipping weight of a Bare Busa engine is 190 lbs. Add a throttle body, mounting hardware. It's around 200 lbs. Airbox is heavy sucker add another 15 pounds for it.

Back