engine update

busastalker05

Registered
Well I tested the battery it appears to still be working quite well. Next step
remove the tank. I siphoned all the gas out for the most part. I then removed the pump, well to NO one's surprise the pump was covered in rust sludge, and I then lit a match to see inside it..........:lol: No i used a flashlight and saw what looked like red clay water mixed in with what was left with the gasoline. I siphoned that out and taped a rag to a dowel rod and soaked up the rest. I will be re-sealing the tank( any product suggestions, i was referred to KREEM).
I have also scrubbed the pump and lightly sanded on some of the metal to remove rust and corrosion.

Also has anyone ever ran SEAFOAM thru their bike? My valves are also nice and sludgy. I am trying to avoid shop time, but I do have the feeling it is unavoidable.

Also on a stock Gen 1 fuel system is there an external fuel filter? and does anyone have a pic?

Last edited:
Busastalker..looks like you will be chasing your tail from one issue to another...may I ask how this disaster fell upon you? Good luck with your repairs...2hip

An other alternative to the Kreem sealer, is at all Yamaha shops, the have a solution that work better, and is easier to work with!

What is the issue that has caused you to do all this work? Good luck on getting everything sorted out and getting back to riding. :beerchug:

Busastalker..looks like you will be chasing your tail from one issue to another...may I ask how this disaster fell upon you? Good luck with your repairs...2hip

I had a wreck 2 days before last years busa bash. it has been quite the struggle being broke and trying to rebuild. The painter i used is a friend of mine who helped me out and let the tank get water in it and and he also dumped a bottle of rubbing alcohol in it

WE dont talk anymore and would rather fix it all and not have him pay for anything

thanks for asking

Take your tank off - two bolts in the front, 4 in the rear. Turn it upside down and remove the 6 screws that hold the fuel pump in, you'll get it much cleaner this way then the method you're doing. Just be careful while pulling the pump out as the fuel gauge float and sending unit is attached and you could rip it off if you get go Hercules on it. Remove the 6 screws then slowly lift. You'll see the wire that the float connects to and can easily maneuver it out of the tank. Then take the entire pump unit and give it a good flushing. The oem filter isn't much, but the screen is likely clogged and you're not likely to get it clean going at it the way you are. It's only an hour job tops to take the tank off and do it right. Good luck!

i have removed the tank and pump. just very cautious of pulling pump apart to remove filter. hopefully will get it done today and im going to try and re line the tank today...

has anyone ever heard of this method of removing rust

1 rinse tank with water

2 fill with water add tablespoon or so of baking soda, take a battery and run a ground wire to tank, then run a positive wire with a steel rod and put it inside the tank without touching rod to tank, let sit for 24 hrs

4 empty tank and rinse with asatone

5 then line the tank with Caswell

this is the method a friend of ours said, he restores triumphs and older bikes. He said it was the only way to completely remove the rust. He did say there is a chance of damaging the paint, which having a fresh paint job i dont want to ruin it

KBC Coatings for the tank. I've used it several times with EXCELLENT results. It's a urethane coating, impervious to alcohol fuels, and is basically the same stuff used on airplanes. The big downside is that the process is involved and it will take about a week from start to finish. The upside is that it works, period.

Use this one if the tank has never been resealed before:
http://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-Large-Cycle-Tank-Sealer-Kit_p_32.html

Use this one if you're fixing a problem someone else created using Kreem or similar product.
Large Motorcycle Tank Sealer PLUS Kit - With Tank Stripper - KBS Coatings

Last edited:
Back