Before I blow up the garage

2hip

Registered
Guys, before I blow up the garage...I am removing my gas tank to get ready for paint job. Manual says that California bikes have to have gas emptied before disconnecting fuel feed hose. Does that mean I have to siphon gas from top of tank? :banghead: Any clever ways to do this without mouth siphoning...I hate gas breath....not to fond of the tast either:please:tx2hip

The only reason they say that is because they don't want gas emissions leaking into the atmosphere. Take it off however you'd like.

It seems to me that vice grips on the fuel hose while you remove the tank would do the trick. No need to empty it.

Don't leave the vise grips on the fuel line for an extended period, or the line will stay deformed after you remove them. Ask me how I know this.......:whistle:

Usually I just put some towels down and let it catch the fuel. Hemostats work good if you can get your hands on some. If you know a nurse tghe make some to pinch iv hose and won't mess up you line but if left on anything usually will.
Make sure it doesn't become brittle or anything before you reinstall.

Also I take a small sock put over it with a ziploc and band over that.
Posted via Mobile Device

What year? On my '04, just disconnect the line - there is a built-in valve that closes the line when it's disconnected. No need to pinch the lines or plug 'em.

What year? On my '04, just disconnect the line - there is a built-in valve that closes the line when it's disconnected. No need to pinch the lines or plug 'em.
What Omar said, no need to crimp your hose, the pump isn't going to expel fuel out.

or, option two, undo the hose with the tank still on the bike, then cycle the key on and off to empty the tank into a container.

What Omar said, no need to crimp your hose, the pump isn't going to expel fuel out.

X2 but I've had them puke a lil when moving them around is why I plug till I get to a place where I can dump it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks guys...tank off now...the fuel line has a connector close to the tank and when you pinch the 2 plastic clips on it it is like a quick disconnect...just about 1 mililiter came out....no need to clamp...thanks for your help...2hip

Mines an 07.. same thing. Fuel did want to keep dripping slow out it, so I put a rubber cap on it and hose clamped it . Small rags under the connection when you disconnect. No issues here.

Well hip sounds like you got your problem solved. Turn that water heater and furnance off. Or you wont have to worry about paint. :poke:

that is not a composite (rubber/fiber) line.. vice grips can ruin it..

There is a nifty little tool that is made to open the locking connectors (automotive stuff)

Poly line just does not like getting crimped at all..

Just move to Arizona and paint the bike here. There are no real laws pertaining to stuff like this. I have had friends paint whole cars in their garages.

when i remove a tank i put a 22 bullet/brass into the line and re tighten the hose clamp around it. it keeps it from weeping while its sitting around the shop.

Back