Drain old gas out of tank?

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
Hello all,

My oil finally came in so i am ready to drain the gas and change the oil.

Can someone tell me the easiest way to drain the gas out of the tank? I have the shop manual, but all I can find is to disconnect the fuel hoses from the gas tank. I am not sure this is exactly what I am wanting to do. Is there a lower point in the fuel system to drain from or should I just do the tank only and put more gas in it.

I changed my oil filter a couple days before I parked the bike for the winter. It has been sitting since Nov.1. The manual states to change the filter every 18 months. Should I change anyway since its been sitting or should it be okay? The oil in it is full synthetic.

I am changing the oil as well. Should I start it up to warm up the engine so the oil drains out easy or should I just open and drain since the oil has been sitting for a few months?

Man.... I wish I hadn't of let it sit...

Thanks for the advice.

Cloud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080186326 -->

Did you chane the oil and filter when you put the bike away? If so you wouldnt need to change it again until it is due at what ever miles you use. I change at 2000 to 2500. If you need to drain the fuel I would siphon it out and put in the new. A small amount of the old wont hurt anything. If you use fuel stabilizer then it would be OK to use. Really its probably OK to use anyway. Better safe than sorry though. Hope this helps ya

Will the gas naturally drain if I unplug the fuel hoses from the bottom of the tank or will I still need some form of suction to get the gas out?

When I drained the gas out of my tank I just took the tank off (gas stayed in) and then attached a line to the tank and hooked the fuel pump up to a battery and pumped it out.

Just pop the tank off (2 bolts), remove the lines, pop the pump assembly off (5 or 6 allen bolts) and let it sit until drained and air dry.

It should take you less than 5 minutes to remove the tank and pump (assuming you have a 2001+ model).
wink.gif

Back