Bikes been sitting...

busanewb

Registered
So I'm about to change all my fluids in my 2015 busa. It's been about 15 months since I have changed the oil and the last 5 of those months the bike has been sitting. My question is should I start the bike up to get the oil hot knowing the oil is past its date and its been sitting before I drain it? Bike has been stored in the garage out of the elements minus heat of course so I'm assuming there is some condensation in the motor.

For me it comes down to preference, run only synthetic anyway. I changed oil based on miles, not time. So every 5k miles she was fresh. Others may prefer to change once a year regardless. It should be fine, but running the bike will get rid of any condensation in the motor.

To answer ur first Q, I would not start it. Just let it drain for a while to get as much old oil out. Not that I am much worried about the oil being so bad, just no sense spinning the oil all over the engine again just to drain out. I think u will get more oil out this way.
Troy

So what do y'all think? Start it or don't? I'm kind of worried about the oil that has been sitting in the engine block passages. I'm leaning more towards starting it and letting it drain for several hours

Back