Dying over here...

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
All,

My Busa has been sitting since Nov.1 and right before it sat, I went ahead and changed the oil in it (full synthetic) I beleive it has 3/4 tank of gas...

I really want to ride the bike, but with some of the recent posts on gas problems and such, I am scared to start it up because it has been siting for 3 months.

I am in Denver (low humidit)

Can I start the bike up and ride it or should I absolutely change the oil again and drain the gas, etc..?

If I do decide to kick it on and the gas is bad, will it hurt the engine or just run like crap until I change gas?

If the oil looks the same color as when I changed it, will that be fine?

Cloud

I have to store my bikes for five to six months out of each year. upon bringing them back to life I take it for a warm up ride then change the oil to get any crap and condensation out of there. after that I ride that old gas out of the bike(generally it is a lackluster performance) I have had no problems so far. I have however not owned a fuel injected bike until now. If anyone disagrees please reply before cloud9 and I make some catastrophic error in the resurection of our bikes.
rock.gif

Should have used some fuel stabilizer and filled the tank to prevent corrosion.
To be safe dump the fuel.

Agreed, dump the fuel.

Gas changes with age (Kinda like women). Losses octane and gets kinda gummy. Three months should be not much of a problem, but I'd be on the safe side. Besides, it should only cost $50 or $60 to fill up the tank again!
wink.gif

AND NEXT TIME US SOME STABIL.. WHEN U STORE UR BIKE THEN JUST START AND GO ...RUN OLD OUT AND AD NEW GAS

Thanks guys... I didn't intend to have it packed away so long, but I had to cover it so I could finish my other toy... big stereo for the Jeep.

Cloud

personally , I dont believe in storage . Just run yer bike from time to time ,work the suspension, etc. Sitting, kills it . Hard on everything . Seals dry out , things clog up , tires can get flat spots ,....yadda yadda yadda .

Will flashing it up hurt it at this point....nah .

Should you run it with the oil thats in it....I'd hafta say NO.
One of the by-products of the internal cumbustion engine is acid . These acids will sit in yer oil . They can even score up yer tranny gears etc etc . Change oil at bedtime to prevent that . Change oil upon re-awakening to rid yerself of any condensation etc .

gas starts to de-STABIL ize within a couple weeks . I dont care whats in the tank....old gas sucks....lose it .

Engines seize up if you leave them sit ....right?

Why let them sit then.....?

just Rubbah's too sense.....

"Full refund if not absolutely delighted"

Back