Engine Ice....do I Need It

Ok so I am curious. I have an 04 high mileage busa. 60k+ miles on the odom. I don't race of anything like that, but I do live in Tx where it gets downright HOT. Would I benefit from engine ice or should I just stick to tried an true antifreeze. Any feedback pos or neg would be appreciated.

I have used in dirt bikes. I felt it did not make a noticeable difference and it is very expensive. I see people add a second fan for the gen 1s. But if your running big bore might take every advantage you can get.

No, I am not doing anything engine wise....for now. I just got the bike as a project for my 14 year old son an I. Looking at what I can do to keep her on the road long as possible.

Run Engine Ice and gut the thermostat. If needed, you can run the extra fan, it doesn't hurt. You can also run an RCC fan temp switch
relocator like we do on all the turbo bikes. This puts that switch on the right side where the coolant is hotter, causing the fan to come on
earlier and stay on longer. We have these in stock if you need one.

I did a series of cooling mods to my Gen1 Busa all @ once so I can't say that Engine Ice is the greatest thing since sliced bread.... I will say that after running it in my Busa along with the other cooling mods there was a definite noticeable difference. Bike ran a helluva lot cooler and fans kicked on less often.

I did a series of cooling mods to my Gen1 Busa all @ once so I can't say that Engine Ice is the greatest thing since sliced bread.... I will say that after running it in my Busa along with the other cooling mods there was a definite noticeable difference. Bike ran a helluva lot cooler and fans kicked on less often.

What all mods did you do?

If you are not tracking your bike, where ethylene glycol-based fluids are banned, regular good-quality anti-freeze will give you the best protection vs. Engine Ice (Propylene Glycol).

If you are not tracking your bike, where ethylene glycol-based fluids are banned, regular good-quality anti-freeze will give you the best protection vs. Engine Ice (Propylene Glycol).

Skydiver is 100% correct. I used to run it in all my bikes and have slowly gotten rid of all them. I am down to 7 bikes and not one of them are running engine ice. Good antifreeze has a higher boiling point and keeps the bikes just as cool.

Skydiver is 100% correct. I used to run it in all my bikes and have slowly gotten rid of all them. I am down to 7 bikes and not one of them are running engine ice. Good antifreeze has a higher boiling point and keeps the bikes just as cool.

Ethylene glycol mixed 50-50 with water will put you right around 230 degrees boiling point, Engine Ice (propylene) will put you around 265 degrees, last I checked. You could even go to Evans waterless coolant and see boiling temps well above 300 degrees. We could debate this all day, but one thing to keep in mind is that it is the water, not the antifreeze itself that cools. Also keep in mind that tap water is what is destructive and leaves mineral deposits over time that will reduce your cooling systems' efficiency. Engine Ice uses deinonized water, which does not leave harmful deposits. Ethylene glycol is also lethal - one tablespoon can kill a small animal, a quantity of this chemical can lead to coma and/or death. Not so with propylene gycol. Because we deal with a number of different customers with different opinions, we carry both. However, POWERHOUSE will always use deionized water when mixing up our own 50-50 green antifreeze. Whatever you choose, remember that it is the type of water mixed with your choice that can be harmful over time to your cooling system. And always remember to dispose of regular antifreeze properly - we are required to keep a separate 55 gallon drum for waste antifreeze, which is disposed of through a chemical waste company - our paperwork for this has to be filed and kept on hand. Check your local laws - many gas stations and auto parts stores are mandated to take waste antifreeze.

If you do have an issue, modified thermostats, different or relocated fan temp switches and more than one fan can help. You can also just get a regular toggle switch and run it to the fan temp sensor and flip it on when needed. . .

Thanks for the information Powerhouse. I do always use distilled water when mixing antifreeze. Sorry if I misinformed anyone I was just going off the labels on the back of the jugs of each.

Ethylene glycol mixed 50-50 with water will put you right around 230 degrees boiling point, Engine Ice (propylene) will put you around 265 degrees, last I checked. You could even go to Evans waterless coolant and see boiling temps well above 300 degrees. We could debate this all day, but one thing to keep in mind is that it is the water, not the antifreeze itself that cools. Also keep in mind that tap water is what is destructive and leaves mineral deposits over time that will reduce your cooling systems' efficiency. Engine Ice uses deinonized water, which does not leave harmful deposits. Ethylene glycol is also lethal - one tablespoon can kill a small animal, a quantity of this chemical can lead to coma and/or death. Not so with propylene gycol. Because we deal with a number of different customers with different opinions, we carry both. However, POWERHOUSE will always use deionized water when mixing up our own 50-50 green antifreeze. Whatever you choose, remember that it is the type of water mixed with your choice that can be harmful over time to your cooling system. And always remember to dispose of regular antifreeze properly - we are required to keep a separate 55 gallon drum for waste antifreeze, which is disposed of through a chemical waste company - our paperwork for this has to be filed and kept on hand. Check your local laws - many gas stations and auto parts stores are mandated to take waste antifreeze.

If you do have an issue, modified thermostats, different or relocated fan temp switches and more than one fan can help. You can also just get a regular toggle switch and run it to the fan temp sensor and flip it on when needed. . .

Interesting information and thanks for the correction. It is all about the water. However, in this case, I think we may be polevaulting over mouseturds as I'm not sure there are many situations that a stock streetbike is going to have an issue in these conditions.

So....can you name a chain that may take old antifreeze? I have two 5-gallon buckets full from flushing that I need to dispose of...

Back