engine ice...did i do something wrong???

willgetbusa

Registered
hi guys,

after hearing alot of positive feedbacks about engine ice coolant, i decided to try it. to say the least, i was disappointed with the product because the temp. gauge is still the same as with my old coolant. after the change, i let the bus idle for 15 minutes to see how engine ice holds up. the gauge went about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way towards the red area from the guage's half-way mark. this is the procedure i used: 1, drain old coolant 2, fill it up with 50/50 white vinegar and distill water, run it for 10 minutes, then drain 3, fill it up with distill water, run it for 10 minutes, then drain and tilt the bus side to side to get the last drops out 4, fill it up with engine ice and top it of. then run the bike at idle and the gauge was a little above the half-way mark at 10 minutes, fan kicked in, decided to let it run a little longer to see if the gauge will drop, nope, at 15 minutes, the gauge was getting close the red area so i just shut it down. i will take it out tomorrow and see how it does on the streets. i want it to keep the bike cool so bad, that's why i paid more for this product but now, i'm disappointed. might have to try heat tape next. so gentlemen, especially the ones that actually used engine ice, DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG with that procedure? or is it something else? any comments, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated!!!

Possible air lock in cooling system. Now that you let it get hot and when it cools off check in radiator and make sure its full. The way you did it sounds ok to me. Not sure about the engine ice I have never used it.

I run engine ice and my temp gauge is always a hair under the middle of the gauge. NEVER goes over. Before it used to creep up all the time to near the red. But now it always stays cool. I hope that helps.

Possible air lock in cooling system. Now that you let it get hot and when it cools off check in radiator and make sure its full. The way you did it sounds ok to me. Not sure about the engine ice I have never used it.
thanks guys. i'll check the radiator tomorrow when the bike is cool and see if the radiator is still full. i top it off when i fill it up so we'll see. if the radiator is full, does it mean no air lock in the system?

Wiil Check for air pockets and if all else fails you can give them a call. ENGINE ICE 877-806-9377 Keep us posted and let us know what happened.

After you warmed it up and then let it cool down open up the cooling system and see if it needs more coolent and add so accordingly. Close the system up and repeat if neccessary.

After the engine heats up and the thermostat cycles a couple of times, any air trapped in the cooling system will be burped out to the coolant reservoir and as the coolant in the engine contracts as it cools, more will be drawn in from the reservoir. Topping off the reservoir will then complete the job.

UNLESS, that is, Hayabusas have bleeders anywhere on the cooling system. That usually is a giveaway that the radiator cap is not the highest point in the cooling system - in those cases, manufacturers place bleeders at the high points so the air can be released.

Ed

Also, gently rock the bike back and forth to burp the system of any trapped air! I also use Engine Ice and have never had a problem! This stuff does as promised......

Some questions about your set-up.
What year Busa?
What made you look to Engine Ice for help? (was it overheating regularly or in the red?)
Are all the components of your cooling system in Good working order?

<!--EDIT|ks-waterbug
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085144775 -->

you have to burp he radiaor a couple of times. let it run, cut it off, run it again, cutit off and it should burp itself. you need almost two bottles of engine ice to fill the radiator. if you put in less you have a lot of air in it

Don't waist your money on that stuff!

It only helps a little and you have to change it out after a while or it looses it's cooling efficiency! This stuff was pretty big in the car scene if you have a supercharged vehicle but I don't see it helping much with the bikes. The fairings keep to much heat inside the motor if you get stuck in traffic.

The best thing you can do is put a aluminum fan on it and maybe a manual fan switch if you are having cooling problems. Otherwise you shouldn't have any problems once the fan kicks on in traffic.

Josh
blues.gif

beside having a higher resistance from metling.
does the aluminum fans are better designed to provide more airflow.
If it does, is the fan motor big enough to handle the extra static pressure?

mine hardly ever gets about the middle and I run normal antifreeze with distilled water.

the only times mine has ever kicked the fan are were sitting in the garage idling for 15-20 minutes for whatever reason..

other than that it stays slightly below halfway. ..

not sure why you want to keep it running overly cool anyway.. you do realize that motors have an optimum temperature that they are designed to run at.. keeping it below that temperature won't be as bad as over the temp.. but it still won't be as good as what the factory wants it at.

if not why even put a thermostat in.. just let the coolant cycle all the time?

BTW mine has whatever they put in from the factory..

I run Prestone Quick Fillâ„¢ 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze/Coolant and a few ounces of Redline Water Wetter. My temp guage never goes above the halfway mark.

Also, gently rock the bike back and forth to burp the system of any trapped air! I also use Engine Ice and have never had a problem! This stuff does as promised......

Some questions about your set-up.
What year Busa?
What made you look to Engine Ice for help? (was it overheating regularly or in the red?)
Are all the components of your cooling system in Good working order?
thanks for the sugg. my bus is a 99 and bonestock. went with the engine ice because gauge needle sometimes goes a little past the halfway mark while waiting for the light to turn green. plus, it was time to replace the coolant so i thought i give it a shot. all the components seems fine i.e., fan comes on when the gauge hits halfway, water circulates, etc. but don't know for sure.

Back