Engine Builder/Hayabuse shop on the east coast

Wastintime

Registered
Hey everyone,

First of all, hi, brand new to the forum and this is my first post. I apologize if this post isn't that original, but after searching I only found a lot of posts on west coast builders.

To give a little bit of background, and I'm sure this is sacreligious on this forum, but I'm putting a Hayabusa motor into a race car (I attached a picture of what it will look close to, btw).
I'm actually a pro-driver and I work for a non-profit in DC that works with low-income, minority, youth called KaleidoLINKS. I run an educational program for them which stresses math, physics, chemistry, etc... and our laboratory happens to be race cars and race tracks. Right now we're actually building a Westfield XTR2 kit car from the ground up with the kids. The build is actually almost done, we should, well, we have to have the car done in 3 weeks. You can find out more about it here: KaleidoLINKS - KL Power / KL Racing if you'd like to learn more.

The car will actually be street legal and competing in 2010 in both a National NASA Time Trial Series and the 2010 One Lap of America.

During the course of the build I made a very bad decision, I let someone talk me out of building our motor into a race motor. We found a crashed '06 Busa with 1400 miles on the motor and gearbox for next to nothing. While the bike was unridable, the motor ran fine and you could shift gears, so hopefully everything is working. At the time the thought was, well we have a working motor, why mess with it. But now, we need another motor, another dry sump kit, and that motor built...

We had a very good engine builder who races cars and has his own bike shop which as I understand has built some pretty famous drag racing 1000s, and he was willing to build the motor for us at a large discount, however, as I said, someone convinced me to keep this motor as our "test motor" and build out another motor. Well this backfired on us because if we'd let them just build the motor we would have noticed a part missing from the kit that we're now scrambling to source so that we have a way to oil the motor. Plus the guy who got us in touch with the engine builder just wasn't willing to let anyone talk to him but himself and I've never been able to get him on the phone, and it's just not an ideal situation.

So, now, we're still looking for another motor, and shop to help us out with some things. For instance we're converting to a non-hydraulic cable clutch that will be fitted to our gearshifter, and I'm sure some questions might pop up with that. Or we might need a new cable length, or something that I would imagine most bike shops would find simple to fix. There's also a chance I may even end up building the race motor myself to save money, especially since for the 2nd motor we arent on as big of a time crunch, but it would be really great to have at least a semi-local shop to deal with, ask advice, get parts from, etc... and unfortunately I know next to nothing about motorcycles... lol, they scare me to death.

I'm really looking for a shop somewhere near Washington, DC that has a lot of experience building Busa motors and just working on them in general as I don't have a lot of motorcycle engine experience. If it helps, the build we want to do is probably about 220-240hp but the key is reliability, it must be an absolutely bulletproof motor, which is part of why we're not going for crazy HP numbers. Also, at this point it's looking like we're going to run a 50/50 mix of 93 octane and E85 as a fuel source, which if the busa follows the logic of cars should pretty much just require an 11% increase in fueling across the board. It also gives us a little more flexibility with compression ratios and timing. So a shop that has messed around with E85 would be nice.

So, if anyone knows of a shop that they think it would be beneficial for us to talk to (especially a shop that might be open to working with a non-profit on a tight budget :D remember, it's all tax deductible!), I would really appreciate any suggetsions.

Anyway, sorry for going on, and again, please don't hate us for ripping apart a Busa just for the motor... but yeah, I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone here might have.

Thanks in advance,

Westfield_xtr2.png

:welcome: There are a few guys that post up rails with the busa engine + others...the car looks cool and the one lap event should be fun. Good luck on your project.

Hey everyone,
Thanks for all the welcomes, and I'll definitely look into Carpenter Race Engines.

:welcome: There are a few guys that post up rails with the busa engine + others...the car looks cool and the one lap event should be fun. Good luck on your project.

Oh, 1 lap is going to be horrible. Well, if the car is reliable and doesn't have many issues it should easily be a top 5 car, but it's the transit driving that I'm not looking forward to... 4,000 miles of interstate in an open cockpit car is going to be interesting.

Thanks though, it is a pretty cool car, and the fact that it is street legal is crazy. I'll have to post some pics of what our car looks like when it's done. We've made a lot of aerodynamic modifications to it, so it should look pretty interesting when it's done and painted in it's race livery.

looks like quite a project...

why go cable on the clutch setup? seems that the hydraulic would be a lot easier to setup and maintain (sure a lot less to go wrong) off the shelf sand rail pedal stuff all over the place that works well..

Does sound like you are backed into a corner on the engine builder but I can sort of empathize.. too many guys talking with builder can create problems.. (hope that is the case here)..

You might call Ryan Schnitz here and talk about the cable clutch setup.. (he sells them and is a board sponsor)

looking forward to updates... :)

Sounds like you are having a blast.:bowdown:

Good luck with the fixes and on the races.:thumbsup:

Hey everyone,
I apologize, but I haven't checked this forum in forever. I just saw the recent reply and thought I would post an update. Wow, we've been busy since the last time I posted. Unfortunately we've had a lot of issues with the kit and it's on track performance, I honestly wish we had built the motor it could really use an extra 50hp on track. However, we did not, so the car was running with the stock busa power. I will say the 'Busa motor has been indestructible aside from the starter breaking after a spin... apparently bike motors weren't meant to spin backwards.

Still, it's a race car that high school age kids built, it ran, it drove, it went over 130mph and passed Porsche GT3s so... it's pretty much a success for the non-profit and the program.

I thought I'd attach a neat picture. The car was just featured in the Washington, DC Auto show from January 28th-February 6th. We had a lot of people stop by to look at the car, and received a lot of support for the non-profit.

IMG_0299.jpg

GreenGiz1.jpg

looks like quite a project...

why go cable on the clutch setup? seems that the hydraulic would be a lot easier to setup and maintain (sure a lot less to go wrong) off the shelf sand rail pedal stuff all over the place that works well..

Does sound like you are backed into a corner on the engine builder but I can sort of empathize.. too many guys talking with builder can create problems.. (hope that is the case here)..

You might call Ryan Schnitz here and talk about the cable clutch setup.. (he sells them and is a board sponsor)

looking forward to updates... :)

Well, it had a lot to do with the pedal box size and the fact that the car was designed as RHD with a clutch pedal for the left foot. It simply doesn't fit on a LHD car, plus everyone has said a foot clutch feels incredibly odd when moving a bike clutch.

The cable clutch has worked perfectly and given us no issues at all. It's got a good feel, it is incredibly easy to get the car moving, as well as shift. The clutch is not necessary for upshifts, however, it is necessary for downshifting, and even that is incredibly fast and easy once you get the hang of it... it isn't even hard to heel and toe with it. Just took a couple of laps to get the proceedure down in my head.

I actually just found this on youtube... I apologize for the music, although the Hayabusa is Japanese, you guys might like it... It's kind of a neat look at moving all of the motorsports cars out after the auto show... and driving the XTR2 out... you might want to stop watching at about 3:20

- The 2011 Washington Auto Show Mash-Up Video[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck I want to know where I could get a kit lol. Looks liek something fun to build with the son.

Heck I want to know where I could get a kit lol. Looks liek something fun to build with the son.

Well, unfortunately/fortunately this is the last kit ever sold and built. Westfield finally stopped making the kit. Honestly I think they realized just how poor the performance was and how unhappy everyone was with their kits. I mean they were 30% off on their weight figures, and I'm still not convinced the chassis is safe to crash in.

It does look and sound incredible, and it's street legal too. I give the car that. Although the engineering is horrible. We literally threw out the build manual at some point, we threw out their wiring harness and made a new one. And we've run into issues down to the rear upper shock mounts were placed so close to the rear upper wishbones that the springs cut into them, not just rub them, but cut to the point of causing catastrophic failure.

There are a few neat kits out there that can be very fun to build, nothing else that really looks like the XTR2, but... I have to say it's a big project though. I'm a pro-driver and I've worked as a mechanic in quite a few Porsche race shops, I even owned my own for a while. I was not prepared for how horrible it would be to build a kit car. They're essentially Frankenstein's monster of a car... random parts cobbled together, nothing fits, the "all inclusive kits" never have everything you need, etc... it was a rough build and we managed to get it driving in 4 months. I'm actually pretty proud of the kids.

It looks and sounds cool....what I could hear of it. Would like to see it in action and no music please!

It looks and sounds cool....what I could hear of it. Would like to see it in action and no music please!

lol, fair enough... I'd been avoiding posting this... It's a bit embarrasing for me as a driver... It does sound good though, basically we just have 4 into 1 headers, a very small race muffler and the exhaust pipe, so it's essentially unmuffled.

As I said we have had some real issues with the car's actual performance on track. I've raced sports cars as well as formula cars, and I can honestly say it's the most terrifying car I've ever driven, and not in a good way. We've since tamed it a bit, but the understeer is truly terrifying in that car... lol, we've only crashed 3 times though...

This is the only video I've actually posted of it on track. After we got back we found out we were A. only getting 85% throttle and B. there was a vacuum line hooked up wrong which was causing the motor to run very rich and poorly. I may look and see if I have a video of when we got the engine sorted out. It will sound infinitely better, although, it's not as impressive seeing the on track shots. I recommend skipping the parade laps where I'm learning how to shift in the car. After watching "the incident" at the beginning I'd skip to 5:00

Here's a video of it on they dyno after fixing the vacuum leak and throttle control issue... unfortunately getting 100% throttle also eventually broke the throttle cable and forced us to find a way to reroute it... it now works fine.

That looks like a blast and you did pass some Porche's. Your HP loss is only about 25 from what the motor being in the bike would have produced. Before I went horsepower modifications, I would fix the handling and shifting. I think those modifications alone would help tons.

Back