End of one chapter, The beginning of another.

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
Well I received my medical evaluation board findings today. I will be separated from the Marine Corps probably around February or March. I was rated at 80% disability by the Veteran's Affairs. I did not quite make retirement criteria for the DoD which I plan on appealing to a formal board which I have to go to Washington DC a few days for.

I am happy to be getting out after 4 years and 5 months. I have had my fill of a lot of things I do not agree with in the military, first being how they treat injured people and secondly how poorly they treat people in general. I do not regret it as I feel that I have increased my knowledge of how to treat people, unfortunately but seeing how others are treated negatively. I do not blame the Marine Corps, I blame the people. I do appreciate everything the Marine Corps made available for me that I took advantage of that sadly most people don't such as my specialized electronics training, lasik surgery, and other various things.

I will be moving back to Florida for sure. As to where, that is yet to be determined. I was originally going back to my hometown in southwest florida, but I think Tallahassee will better suit me. I have applied for a few jobs that I more than qualify for. The only issue is I will have to have another surgery on my leg when I get out because of developed complications, so I need to be somewhat close to a VA hospital.

I am very excited for what comes next. I have done nothing but set myself up for success over the last 6 months and will continue to do so.

Congratulations are also in order for sportcustoms71 as he gets out of the Marine Corps in a week!

:thumbsup:
Right on my brother! Take care of yourself and thank you for your service! I'll be seeing you soon!

Dinner is on me...:laugh:

I wish you good luck Russell! Good things happen to good people, and I think you're good people! :beerchug:

Keep us updated on everything, and stop bein' such a stranger around here!

i am sorry to hear about what you have had to go through russel.

Your country thanks you for going thru everything they put you thru. :bowdown:
Sorry to hear about your health problems.

I get 50% disability from the Marine Corps Russell and the VA has really been top notch ever since I have been out. I am constanly amazed at the care I have received.

Best of luck to your bro,
Semper Fi

Keep on top of the VA, some of them can be a pain. my past experiences have been good in some areas and horrible in other areas. Congrats on getting out and the rating. Hopefully they will get the leg surgery done up right and you'll be right as rain.

OOORAAHHH for you fellas.. Good Luck!! :thumbsup:

If you're struggling for work in Tallahassee seek out Remedy Intelligent Staffing. Nice folks that take care of nice folks.

Well, the down side to all the good people getting out, is that sooner or later, someone looks around and asked where all the good people went? Maybe we can meet up in Florida, or head up to the Bash together or something. I hear what you are saying about the way people are treated, but some of us do try to do better:)

Good Luck and start applying to job on usajobs.gov.. I would suggest a professional looking resume and start submitting, there is a lot out there folks won't tell you.. Almost anyone over 30% va disability is a foot in the door thru the veteran affairs depts..The resume needs to be very detailed..

Thank you for your service, and I understand your want/need to separate. I have been on the fence about separation many times myself. Sometimes the military has provided me with some of the best experiences in my life, and has given me so much. Sometimes it has nearly broken my spirit and killed me on several occasions.

I respect your decision to move on to another chapter of your life, but that brings up another problem for those left behind. As MC Mustang said, we are not all bad and a lot of people are trying to make things better, but it is very difficult. Then you have the bigger problem of good people leaving due to being fed up, which only leaves the "bad" people. Sooner or later the good people are going to be severely outnumbered and there will be nothing anyone can do about it.

Another factor in that is huge military budget cuts and force shaping draw downs. They play a part in there as much as people outright leaving.

Congrats again on the new chapter of your life, make the most of it and enjoy each day you have.

Well, the down side to all the good people getting out, is that sooner or later, someone looks around and asked where all the good people went? Maybe we can meet up in Florida, or head up to the Bash together or something. I hear what you are saying about the way people are treated, but some of us do try to do better:)

I have no doubt you are one of the very few good men who truly try to make things better. It is just not a good mans world anymore it seems. It is sometimes hard for me to blame even the people who do treat others bad because in our position, they were treated in such a manner. Is that an excuse? Absolutely not. But I do understand a little bit and I feel it has almost been ingrained in those people to act in such a way. It's a cycle that is near impossible to break.

And absolutely we will meet up! I need someone to help me change my tires when the time comes :rofl:
Are you staying in the Pensacola area when you retire?

Good Luck and start applying to job on usajobs.gov.. I would suggest a professional looking resume and start submitting, there is a lot out there folks won't tell you.. Almost anyone over 30% va disability is a foot in the door thru the veteran affairs depts..The resume needs to be very detailed..

Yes! I just applied to a few places last night. I have been working on my resume and critiquing it for about 6 months now along with taking it to some civilian professionals the marine corps provides that have also looked at it with fresh eyes. It is just about near as perfect as it could be.
I have been using Careeronestop for the time being but I have lists of all the websites along with VA phone numbers that will help with job placement. As of now I am very qualified for a lot of positions in my line of work of electronics engineering. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back