Electrical problem

mikejmarine

Registered
Hey all, I'm helping my buddy out with his 99R1.  Yeah I know it's not a Busa, but still"¦. Any way, check it out"¦ We got back from Iraq and pulled his bike out of storage, changed the oil, fresh gas and threw a new battery in.   The bike was running awesome but then for some reason one morning he went to start it up and the dash wouldn't light up, the starter wouldn't turn and the only thing that was happening, was that the starter solenoid was clicking like it was cool.   So I came over and started to do some trouble shooting with him, and we ended up replacing the battery, voltage regulator and the starter solenoid.  None of that corrected the problem.  So we got this crazy idea to push start the bike to get it started and then hook up the voltage meter."￾ We also tried to jump the solenoid that didn't work either"￾   Well when the bike started the dash came back on and every thing worked on the bike like it was suppose to but only as long as the bike was idling above 3 grand "choke was on"￾ as soon as you killed the choke the bike went down to it's set idle of 1200 but you couldn't rev it or it would die.  We checked the stator and it's good, but everything is pointing to a major drain on the battery.  We started to go though connections and wires although we haven't finished yet, we are well half way though the bike.  At the moment, it's looking like his starter went out, but I wouldn't think that it would cause a major drain on the battery?  Any way if you all could please we need some ideas or suggestions on what could be happening, any way thanks for all the help!!!!!
bowdown.gif

Back