Electrical Just Went Out... Help

Skywalker

Donating Member
Registered
I put a new batteries Plus battery in my bike two weeks ago and bought a battery tender jr for the 1st time ever. Been green all this time and I have not even turned the key until just 15 minutes ago. I realized the clock was off because of previous dead battery. So, I put the key in and everything lit up and I set the clock and cleared both trips to zero. Turned key to off and back on to see if the clock held and it did. Then I hit the start button and evernthing went dead! Nothing! Battery Tender is now steady red which means charging but it had to be fully charged as it was on now for at least two weeks and is brand new. Before I go looking everywhere somone tell me what I did and how to fix it! And, should I have unpluged the tender prior to turning the key to on? I never started it as that is when she died when I pushed the start button! ???

Hey Mike, just thought of something. Disconnect the ground from the battery for a moment and see if it resets everything. Battery Tender unplugged of course. lol
Dale

Make sure all connections are tight, check your main fuse. Also make sure your tender is hooked up correct.

on the clutch side side under the panel directly left of the gauges.....push pin and one screw takes it off if a gen 1?

Don't have one but need one and Checkers is just down the road! or borrow my neighbors! I have pulled the ground and put her back and nothing. While disconnected the battery tender was flashing red which is correct so I don't think the BT is bad at all. Need to check voltage and then that fuse next! Working! Let me go get my neighbors meter to make this quick! BRB

Do a voltage check on your batt. what's your voltage reading?

Ditto on checking the voltage and fuse. It's strange that the battery was fully charged and now all the Battery Tender shows is charging. Mine will do that after disconnecting it but in only a couple of minutes the light goes green. I'm wondering if the battery is toast.

OK, went to checkers auto since they are just minutes away and there big fancy meter said it was pulling 7 volts. I go home and get the receipt from batteries plus bought on 17 Mar 2010 and to it over there. They checked it and got four different readings from 7's - 12 but while under load was always in the 7's. They gave me a new battery and I put it in! Everything still dead. However, get this... I noticed with both batteries that the GI PRO was flickering even without a key in the bike! I have the GI Pro run to the hot side of the battery alone with the battery connector of course. I was cramp in the garage and left side of bike is on the wall and truck on my backside, so I'm fixing a PC tonight and will pull that panel tomorrow and check the main fuse and hope it's obvious which one it is under the panel. The last thing I just did when I put in the new battery was plug the battery tender in and without any lights or key the gauges moved for a second and then rested! Seems I have more then I can handle here as I'm not good with electrical! I also run a Top Speed Indicator with the GI PRO and have blue gauges. I figure if I have a main fuse blown I would not be seeing this kind of stuff with GI PRO flickering and gages slightly moving and such..... wires all all run neat and wire tied and bike is show room clean with no corrosion or such anywhere. Isn't this fun! Not

OK, someone above said to remove the panel just to the left of the gages? I have not yet but will do so tomorrow! So I just need to remove the side panel and I should see it if I'm looking at the starter solenoid or do I need to remove a cover under the main side panel? as well, I just unpluged all my accessories such as the GIPRO and Battery Tender and get nothing so that eliminates a problem with those on this brand new battery. Must be main fuse!
The main fuse is on the starter solenoid !

The main fuse panel is under the left inner!

The starter solenoid is under the tail section, to the left of the battery, follow the positive cable to the left, and down!

I have no power at all so wouldn't that be the inner and the one on the solenoid be just for starter?
The main fuse panel is under the left inner!

The starter solenoid is under the tail section, to the left of the battery, follow the positive cable to the left, and down!

I have no power at all so wouldn't that be the inner and the one on the solenoid be just for starter?
No the main fuse is part of the solenoid!
The main feed's the the fusebox under the inner!

It's a 30 amp fuse!

Here's a silly question. Are you sure the battery leads are on the correct terminals? + > +, - > -.

Also, hooking the battery tender up backwards will show as charging, but would actual slowly discharge the battery.

Back