ebc brake pad noise

roadripper

Registered
Hi guys I wonder if anyone is having brake pad noise. I just changed to ebc pads in the fall and never got to ride much. Now that I have got to ride enough to realize the noise is not going away, I find them extremely annoying. You can hear them scraping even when the brakes are not applied, although the wheel spins freely when off the ground. Have heard that they do quiet down over time. If they don't I am going back to the stock pads. Anyone else have this experience?

I don't really notice it on any others bikes of mine except for the Super Moto which has EBC rotor & pads and that thing sounds like a car does when there is no pad left and it's metal to metal??? . But it'll stand it on the front wheel with one finger... :laugh:Just must be female pads, gotta make noise to remind you their there!!

I don't really notice it on any others bikes of mine except for the Super Moto which has EBC rotor & pads and that thing sounds like a car does when there is no pad left and it's metal to metal??? . But it'll stand it on the front wheel with one finger... :laugh:Just must be female pads, gotta make noise to remind you their there!!

:rofl: I've rode them on other bikes and sometimes they make a little noise, it's just that type of pad materiel.

in my experience it will be better in 5-600 miles - those pads just take forever to properly bed in. and they will always make noise if they get wet.

This doesn't sound good... I just got a set of these front and rear, haven't installed yet. Is everyone having this problem, or how about those who have them bedded in, does it go away?

Does it sound like a "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" sound? Mine did that and it wasnt really bothersome. Just the type of pad. Great for 1 or 2 finger aggressive stops. I love those pad.

I had a Honda CBR900RR with cast iron discs on front. The pads were specifically for those discs. Make that "Zzzzzzzzz..." sound when you grabbed the brakes. Never bothered me.

I put the EBC HH pads on my wife's Suzuki GS500 recently. Never noticed any sounds at all from them. I guess I figured these HH's on the Hayabusa are the same pad material....

Mine make the "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" sound too. If that's it, you'll stop noticing it after a while. The extra stopping power is worth a little extra noise to me.

It's SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS not ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ and it's not a problem, it's a normal noise.

Just took a first ride with the new EBC HH pads. Oh boy, the stopping power is much improved. Nice. Got maybe 6 miles on them so far.

But, now I can hear the pads "shhhhh" against the front rotor when the brakes off, once per rotation, like the rotor is slightly warped. Each time the "shhhh" sound is followed by a faint "clink" as the pads shift in the calipers. I pulled the calipers, and rechecked all the pads installation, everything is correct. Nothing, no sound, with the stock pads that came off.

Do these new pads just need a bit of time and application to bed into the rotors? Kinda worries me...

Welcome to the world of performance brake pads. They do make noise. Much like high speed zippers when you heat them up.

Check and clean your caliper pistons. You shouldn't hear the light rubbing and the clank shouldn't be that loud riding down the road. Alittle anti-sieze between the caliper piston and back of the brake pad should get rid of the loose clanking sound.

Just took a first ride with the new EBC HH pads. Oh boy, the stopping power is much improved. Nice. Got maybe 6 miles on them so far.

But, now I can hear the pads "shhhhh" against the front rotor when the brakes off, once per rotation, like the rotor is slightly warped. Each time the "shhhh" sound is followed by a faint "clink" as the pads shift in the calipers. I pulled the calipers, and rechecked all the pads installation, everything is correct. Nothing, no sound, with the stock pads that came off.

Do these new pads just need a bit of time and application to bed into the rotors? Kinda worries me...

I've rode them on other bikes(and have a set for the Busa coming now) The sound has improved some after the pads have bedded from what I've seen, but it won't go away completely. It's the nature of the beast. A little racket for greatly improved stopping, worth it? I think so. Pretty soon you'll forget all about it.
Just remember, being able to stop just a few feet sooner can make all the difference, it might even save your life.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll pull the pads once more and check/clean everything, but until I installed these no reason to think anything is wrong. And, the rotors are not warped, at least to any significant level, as there is NO pulsing at the lever at all.

I ran EBCs on my cruiser once and the cricket noise from the brakes drove me insane. I pulled them after about 500 miles and went back to OE pads.

I'd say something may be up with your calipers. If you've got binding pistons, they move differently as you squeeze and release the brake lever. As a result, one part of the pad is pressed more while the other part of the pad is pressed less. Such condition causes the pad to stay slightly uneven in relation to the surface of the rotor, and in certain conditions it produces a high frequency chatter which makes that sound. I recognize that other pads may not produce such sound, but this only means they are less sensitive in this respect.

Pull the pads and check for uneven wear which would support my suspicions. A quality picture of your rotors and pads in good non-direct light (like in a shade on a bright day) would be helpful. Just don't use flash - it would be hard to see details.

If you've gotten some miles on the bike, and it has seen rain, and if you've never cleaned the pistons/rebuilt your calipers, I'd say it's very likely the pistons don't operate as they were when the bike was new.

Oh, if you want to quickly break in new rotors and/or new pads, here is a great way of doing it:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/50885-how-properly-bed-new-brakes.html#3

The only thing I did differently (since the post is for the car), I was goind around 60-70mph. Do this 2 -3 times, pull the pads and you will see they are broken in.

Thanks for the thoughts IG. Could be the pistons are a bit sticky, I'm going to pull the calipers and clean thoroughly. Maybe put some copper anti seize lubricant on the backs of the pads, very very thin layer. I'll report back in a few days... :beerchug:

Back