Dynojet quickshifter installed

megawatt

Registered
profile.jpg

gilles.jpg

gillestop.jpg

Here is my write up on my dynojet quickshifter (QS) install. To keep the post short I will not go into detail of what it is or is not or compare it to a CO2 shifter system that does not require your foot to operate. Overall, I like the QS, I can upshift thru the gears once in 2nd without touching the clutch or reducing the throttle.

The QS fits my needs for the following reasons: There is only one thin wire connection from the powercommander to the sensing unit. The mounting bracket is very small at only 2 x 0.5 inches in size. The unit itself is the size of a test tube and weighs about the same as a test tube filled with water. The install is very clean, has a stealthy appearance, was about $240, and once setup I should never have to adjust it again as there is no gas (CO2 tank) to refill or regulator to deal with. I keep all my trunk space since I don’t have to store a gas cylinder. When you purchase the QS it includes all brackets, tap and handle and plenty of nuts and bolts and spacers for various types of installs.

The bad: I had to tap a small hole (approx 4mm in size I am guessing from memory) into the frame to support the bracket that holds one end of the sensing unit. Not really concerned about the hole weakning the frame, it is very small. A .22 cal bullet is wider than the hole I made. Because the QS cuts out fuel flow to unload the driveline for shifting, depending on how nitrous users control nitrous flow, a QS may not be the best use (lean conditions during the cut out). It is not something to use for the 1-2 shift, it probably can be use for the 1-2 but I will continue to use the clutch going to the 2nd gear. This only works with the PCIII USB version.

I have Gilles rearsets so the install took considerably longer for me. Normal time should take no more than two hours. I am never in a hurry doing my mods especially when taping into the frame so it took me twice that time spread over three days. I do not have the luxury of attaching the end of the sensing unit directly to the shifter lever as the Gilles are skeletonized. This forced me to mount the unit behind the rearsets and actually moves everything away and now my foot will never make contact with any part of the QS.

The QS allows the cut out time of the fuel flow (not spark) to be adjusted between 50-255ms. I am currently running a cut out time of 90ms and it works great. 70ms allowed very quick shifting 90% of the time (remember you still have to foot shift so human error took away the 10%). 100ms delay allowed 100% shifting engagement but the nose of the bike did drop during the gear change so I decided to reduce the cut out time so the suspension does not feel the drop. Cut out time will vary on other bikes depending on the angle of your sensing unit install, the reach of the sensing unit and where you set up the kill position.

So far I am happy with a useful low cost mod. It fills up another connection on my powercommander hub justifying the $110 hub cost to me. The QS will attach directly into the PCIII USB if you don’t have a hub. It will never accidently try to shift when the bike is off and damage transmission parts. You can control the minimum RPM setting at which the system can operate.

front.jpg

Do you think it would work with these rear sets?

Webshots.com Links Do Not Work

cheers
ken

Yes it can, you have many more options because your shift lever is solid and can drill a hole thru the arm anywhere you want.

I tried to read it but all that capitalization gave me a headache!

Yea, the larger font (capitalization) does not work well at all. Lets try this again...

Here is my write up on my dynojet quickshifter (QS) install. To keep the post short I will not go into detail of what it is or is not or compare it to a CO2 shifter system that does not require your foot to operate. Overall, I like the QS, I can upshift thru the gears once in 2nd without touching the clutch or reducing the throttle.

The QS fits my needs for the following reasons: There is only one thin wire connection from the powercommander to the sensing unit. The mounting bracket is very small at only 2 x 0.5 inches in size. The unit itself is the size of a test tube and weighs about the same as a test tube filled with water. The install is very clean, has a stealthy appearance, was about $240, and once setup I should never have to adjust it again as there is no gas (CO2 tank) to refill or regulator to deal with. I keep all my trunk space since I don’t have to store a gas cylinder. When you purchase the QS it includes all brackets, tap and handle and plenty of nuts and bolts and spacers for various types of installs.

The bad: I had to tap a small hole (approx 4mm in size I am guessing from memory) into the frame to support the bracket that holds one end of the sensing unit. Not really concerned about the hole weakning the frame, it is very small. A .22 cal bullet is wider than the hole I made. Because the QS cuts out fuel flow to unload the driveline for shifting, depending on how nitrous users control nitrous flow, a QS may not be the best use (lean conditions during the cut out). It is not something to use for the 1-2 shift, it probably can be use for the 1-2 but I will continue to use the clutch going to the 2nd gear. This only works with the PCIII USB version.

I have Gilles rearsets so the install took considerably longer for me. Normal time should take no more than two hours. I am never in a hurry doing my mods especially when taping into the frame so it took me twice that time spread over three days. I do not have the luxury of attaching the end of the sensing unit directly to the shifter lever as the Gilles are skeletonized. This forced me to mount the unit behind the rearsets and actually moves everything away and now my foot will never make contact with any part of the QS.

The QS allows the cut out time of the fuel flow (not spark) to be adjusted between 50-255ms. I am currently running a cut out time of 90ms and it works great. 70ms allowed very quick shifting 90% of the time (remember you still have to foot shift so human error took away the 10%). 100ms delay allowed 100% shifting engagement but the nose of the bike did drop during the gear change so I decided to reduce the cut out time so the suspension does not feel the drop. Cut out time will vary on other bikes depending on the angle of your sensing unit install, the reach of the sensing unit and where you set up the kill position.

So far I am happy with a useful low cost mod. It fills up another connection on my powercommander hub justifying the $110 hub cost to me. The QS will attach directly into the PCIII USB if you don’t have a hub. It will never accidently try to shift when the bike is off and damage transmission parts. You can control the minimum RPM setting at which the system can operate.

Back