Dust Seals~?~

To seal, or not to seal~?~

• Run them no matter what

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Should not do this under normal circumstances, and the lack of drag is worth the risk

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
$400 ceramic bearings now turn 1/4 inch and lock up. Granted these were run at Bonneville a couple weeks ago, but the way I see it is the salt just accelerates what water is going to do anyway.

We changed these wheels after Kevin made the 3 day trip back to the East coast and I looked in the next day and saw this. I attempted to clean them out a bit but I reckon 4 days plus the week down there was too long.

Anyway, I understand a lot of aftermarket wheels don't run dust seals and I've always had the question...under normal racing circumstances minus the salt should you or shouldn't you run your dust seals~?~

100_2226.jpg

The Marchesini wheels I have came with no dust seals and there is no way to put any in them either .
I've got around 7,000 miles on wheels now .

No dust seals on my Marvics with ceramic bearings. Right at 3 years old now. I took a very good look at them before heading to the track day this weekend and the are still as smooth as glass. They have never been to the salt though. ;)

trying not to sound stupid here, but can you explain what ya'll are talking about?

On the front wheel, the stock wheels have a dust cover over the bearings as shown in the above pic. This is, as the name implies, to keep out dust from the bearings.

Outlawbusa was asking whether he should run them without the dust covers or with.

aftermarket wheels do not have such a cover (from the other posters).

It appears the salt really ate into the wheel bearings :/

It's all personal preference....for me I always run them. :thumbsup:

Even then when racing on the salt it doesn't matter what you do. That stuff EATS up everything. Even when you clean it right away it will still do damage...

I'd really like to get out there but I don't want to take my current bike on the salt... :(

On the front wheel, the stock wheels have a dust cover over the bearings as shown in the above pic. This is, as the name implies, to keep out dust from the bearings.

Outlawbusa was asking whether he should run them without the dust covers or with.

aftermarket wheels do not have such a cover (from the other posters).

It appears the salt really ate into the wheel bearings :/

thanks for the explanation... just didn't know if it was a race or track thing or if there was less resistance:beerchug:

Back