dual can full exhaust system

flitemedic13

Registered
i was looking at getting a full exhaust system but keeping the dual canisters for looks and balance.....ive been scolded by some that say get rid of the weight, but im sure in the end id shed some pounds reguardless of 1 or 2 cans....here is what i recieved from the Micron people :
"Jonathan:
Nobody in the real performance world would put dual canisters on a full system for an inline 4 motorcycle, this would add weight and complexity, neither of which are good for performance.
We do offer twin slip-ons, but nothing in a full system with two canisters."

which makes me wonder is the weight all they are concerned about..it seems to me that if u had a dual setup that you could get rid of the crappy burned air quicker than if you had single can trying to shove twice as much air through the single can.....kinda makes sense when i say it like that, but im no expert....i was looking at micron or akrapovic but neither i think has the full system dual exhaust. I could go with just bolt ons but i wouldnt get as big a HP jump as with a full system......

HMF makes dual full system there in a high mount style and yes they are correct 4 into 1 makes better power the 4 to 2 and one can flow more then 2 i know that don't sound right but when in staling Culverts in a road i was just gona add another one and the guy showed me i could flow more water with a pipe 2 inches bigger then with 2 pipes of the same size that where smaller i don't rember the measurments for sure or else i'd tell ya

hope that helps some

I was thinking the same thing flitemed, about keeping the duals and actually have ordered Yosh's dual slip-ons. I'm still not sure if it was the right choice. They say the single pipe brings more horses but is that gain worth the $1000 plus dollars you are going to have to spend?

The extra $$$ wasn't worth it for me initially, so I bought D&D slipons (used off ebay for $200). Now I'm looking also at the full exhaust and I'm torn b/t a full 4 in 2 D&D or a 4 in 1 Muzzy. I know I'll get more HP increase with the Muzzy and the sound is sweet. I'm just not sure I want to surrender the prototype dual can look.
wow.gif

ive seen and heard on here that the busa exhaust sucks (or actually blows..lol) because of the midpipe and not really the can or the header of the exhaust...so is there anything out there where u can install a better middle section along with new cans without speding out the wazzoo....? i looked at akrapovic and micron carbon cans...it seems itll be $600-750 for cans alone and then a lil over $1,000 for the full setup...im in the same delimma as the other guy wondering if its worth the extra $ to do it, or if u look at it as well i already spent $$, whats $200 more for the increase in horses?

big dawg...did u see a HP gain with just your slip ons at all? ive heard that in conjunction with an EMS or PC that u will get a HP gain of about 5 HP...is this true for all cans or does it vary?

i have the D&D 4:2 system looks nice sounds raspy and loud i only had the stock exhaust on for 1 day so not sure how the difference in power was
rock.gif

Have had the same dilemma for while now. Can't see getting rid of the dual can look, but want to add some performance. I don't need a whole of performance added because we all know the 'Busa is fast enough and I'm not the racer type! I will probably stick with the slip-ons unless something major happens!

HMF Makes a dual Highmount system that looks awesome and sounds amazing, makes some real power as well.  But, let me ask you this, what difference in your everyday riding is an axtra 10-14 horses going to make?  Are you at the strip racing, are you trying to set records at Maxton?  So what it comes down to really is sound, looks, Ego, and bragging rights...  Now remember that a full system is not as easy as just bolting on some headers and a pipe and moving down the road...  you are going to need a Power Commander, you have to remove the PAIR, and your going to have to have it custom mapped and Dyno-tuned.  So say you find your Full system for $800 for a decent one, Then you need say $300 for a PC, then another $20-50 for PAIR Block offs, then were looking at some dyno time and a custom Map... say about another $200.  So all told for your Full system is a minumum of around $1300 and couple of afternoons before it's right.  Now you'll prolly want to open up the top end just a bit so we're looking at another $60-$80 bucks for a BMC filter...  all of this of course is assuming you do all the work accept the tuning.  So now after taxes and shipping etc your way over $1400 for an extra 10-14 hell say 20 HP, you've saved some weight, and your bike is louder...  But to what freakin purpose?  If you live and breath the track either 1/4 or Road then it's a relative bargain,  if your primarily on the street then your pretty much just wasting money for a moderate gain and ego boost...  
  So what to do?  Simple...  Spend the $800 on some sweet cans, take the 15 minutes to bolt them on, get some good sound, a bike that still runs perfectly without fuggin your warranty, and you get the dual can look while loosing anything from 6-10 pounds in the process...then practice practice practice, perfect your launches, and your reaction times, get out there for a couple of track days, exercise and loose 20 lbs and you will ride fuggin circles around 95% of the folks out there with their full systems... Spend money on being a better rider...  Enjoy your road bike!  
No sh!t...  
  I am just throwing this out here because there is so much fuggin Hype and BS regarding aftermarket systems...  Just leave it the fug alone 10-20 HP on a Busa is decent, but how useful is it going to be?  A 4 into 1 isn't going to do all that much for the low end, and the mid is fat enough as is, and just how often are you going to be pinning your Busa up at the top end,  On the streets only occasionally...

Just my .02 FWIW...

Oh and yeah I understand that Riding a motorcycle is more about passion and emotion than logic, sh!t why the hell else would there be turbo kits out there that are worth more than the damn bike...   I am just tossing out the concept that there are legitimate alternatives, and depending on your anticipated usage, you might just be pissing money away....

Besides, look at Cache he's running what 9.43 1/4 mile times (around there), on a basically stock, lowered Busa?  Skills are FAR MORE important than absolute power and if you need proof look at Valentino Rossi...  It's all about the rider...  Put me on a 300HP Turbo Busa with no 1/4 mile time under my belt and guess what... Cache will still prolly hand me my ass....  Simple...

Want cheap instant performance gains?  Look into gearing, add a few teeth to the rear or remove a tooth from the front...  Boom extra acceleration....  $20-30.... yellow box or speedo healer $70...  Now get out there and ride the tits off that thing, practice, and stomp on all kinds of fools...  
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085140850 -->

big dawg...did u see a HP gain with just your slip ons at all?  ive heard that in conjunction with an EMS or PC that u will get a HP gain of about 5 HP...is this true for all cans or does it vary?
There may be a measurable performance gain, but nothing you will ever feel. You figure I got maybe 3-5 outta the Bolt on Akro's and lost about 10 lbs. Then when I added the Silkolene Synthetic I may have gained an extra 2HP. But PC's and EMS, and TRE's? All pissing in the wind with just cans...

Good point REV. Most pipes will add horses and power at the TOP END. Arguements stating they smooth out power delivery in he lower bands can be accomplished by simply have your bike properly tuned and mapped in most cases. Or atleast that'sy $.02

big dawg...did u see a HP gain with just your slip ons at all?  ive heard that in conjunction with an EMS or PC that u will get a HP gain of about 5 HP...is this true for all cans or does it vary?
I've yet to have my bike dynoed, so I'm really unsure of HP gains if any. It has been said that slipons will give 2-3 horses, but again I bought them for the sound and looks. Any upgrade in the future is simply to be prepared for any liter bike assassination attempt
tounge.gif
I do plan to upgrade in the future, but since I'm not a track person it's not priority. I've been focusing more on appearance (chrome, undertail etc.).
Before I upgrade to a full system I want to be prepared to pay extra $$$ associated (pc IIIR, K&N air filter, mapping, etc.). If all you want is to be heard, I'd shop for a used pair of slipons for now, unless you have the $$$ go for it! Happy shopping.

BD

I just put the dual Yosh slip-ons on and they look great and sound very good not to loud but enough. I took it out for a quick spin and noticed when trolling along in first like through a parking lot it sputters a little. I didnt think you would need to remap from what Ive read anyway. It idles at exactly 1000RPM, should I let it idle a little higher maybe for more pick up. I don't know just an idea. ANY SUGGESTIONS!

Do you actually "Feel" it sputtering/stuttering/jerking?  Or are you going by sound?  Chances are it's running just fine but I noticed that the busa tends to have a pretty rough low RPM lope to it and the Burble, sputter you hear also might come from a wierd resonance that sets up between the two pipes when poking around sometimes...  Make certain you actually "FEEL" the sputtering, cause hearing it most likely means very little...  Other than Busa's sound like they have some big cams in em, and idle /low RPM exposes this...  

You might give your idle adjustment a little nudge though...  Cannot really hurt... Won't actually improve anything performance wise but it might smooth out your uh..Idle...
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085191374 -->

Its definatly a feel! It does sound good running its just like you descrided, at that low low idle cruise she spurts about a little, it wasnt as bad with the stock. Its noticeable though.

1000rpm sounds real low, I find 1300-1400rpm just right.
I think the book says 1250rpm as a min.
I've got a pair of yoshi bolt ons and the old girl hasnt skipped a beat.
Would like to figure a way to get thoes bloody cats out of the mid pipes!!

Cheers
Ross

40__s.gif

<!--EDIT|Rosco
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085232810 -->

My Busa hates running real slow through parking lots or in stop and go traffic. She will develop a bit of a sputter/spurt kinda thing anytime I am really poking below 2K RPM. But it has done this since new, if your ride still pulls as hard as ever and your not getting any backfires then I would think your good to go.
I am wondering though, if you just never noticed the jerkiness because you weren't really looking for it? Or you weren't toodling along at such low RPM's enjoying the Bass of your new pipes...I know I know, not very likely... How about a quick test...put your factory cans back on real quick, go out and do the same ride. See if the jerkiness is still present. If not, then you might need to hit the shop and have it tweaked a bit with the Yoshi's on, maybe get a PC... From what I have heard, you allmost never need a PC for just pipes, but it sounds like you might realize some benefits with one....

"Jonathan:
Nobody in the real performance world would put dual canisters on a full system for an inline 4 motorcycle, this would add weight and complexity, neither of which are good for performance.
We do offer twin slip-ons, but nothing in a full system with two canisters."[/QUOTE]

In other words "we don't offer a dual system therefore it's no good". Nothing but sales hype from an idiot.

What's his return email address?
I'd like to ask him why the worlds fastest production bike comes with a dual exhaust instead of a single can.

Apparently the designers, engineers AND bean counters at Suzuki are a bunch of blithering idiots since they could have easily upped the Busa's HP using less material and labor, leaving an end result of a FASTER and more profitable bike. Just shaving pennies off any item on a production vehicle saves a fortune...can you imagine what Suzuki could have saved by cutting the exhaust system in half plus the accolades they would have received for the increase in HP?

I can see a single exhaust if all out hyperbike power is not a concern and running around in circles on a track is.
Real bikes like the Busa and Black Bird need real exhausts. Something also tells me that going to an ass ugly one pipe setup would play hell with the ultra fine tuned aerodynamics of the Busa.

Oh well...time to get off my soapbox and head out to the garage. I want more power out of my Stingray so I'll be converting it to a single exhaust. HAHAHA
laugh.gif

Back