Dryer not workin the way it used to

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
Figured i'd give it a shot n see if anyone had any ideas. My gf's grandpa's dryer seems to take longer to dry clothes than it used to. Anyone ever experience this or have any advice?

Clear the lint. Clean out the lint from the hose in the back of the dryer. If it's still no good your heating element needs to be changed.

hmmm i'll have to go have a look at it for him sometime this weekend. Thanks man

No problem....this place has everything! It's better than therapy!
biggrin.gif
(and cheaper too...so I've heard.)

Also...if his house has a basement, and the dryer is on the first floor, then check to see if the dryer exhaust ductwork is exposed in the floor joists. If it is, then you could also check to see if the ductwork is cleaned out from the dryer all the way to the outside vent.

You may want to make sure that there are no bird's nests in the dustwork. I've seen that when the outside flapper is stuck open, and birds use it for a safe haven.

Good luck
cool.gif

check the fuses. Our dryer quit heating, thought it was the element. tore the darn thing apart and nothing was wrong with the element. Bought a new dryer and that too would not dry the clothes...little did I now a dryer runs on 2 110 circuit breakers and one of them was out. Cost us like .45 cents to fix it after spending 300 on a new dryer! lesson learned...call a repair men next time!

He's an old guy tell him to do it the way he was taught ... on a clothes line!
tounge.gif

Just kidding

check the fuses. Our dryer quit heating, thought it was the element. tore the darn thing apart and nothing was wrong with the element. Bought a new dryer and that too would not dry the clothes...little did I now a dryer runs on 2 110 circuit breakers and one of them was out. Cost us like .45 cents to fix it after spending 300 on a new dryer! lesson learned...call a repair men next time!
must have been wired the heating element and spinner motor separately. Normally they run on a 2 pole breaker which is larger than a standard 120V breaker.

+1

I have a wife, three daughters and a house full of pets including two hairy dogs...PM'ing our dryer has become an annual event for me...and alls it takes is a set of nut-drivers and 1/2 a brain...the lint filter doesn't catch all the lint...imho?...it catches maybe 1/2 the lint...the rest?...the wet fines?...go right through the lint filter and clogs up the ducting...takes about an hour to tear it apart and clean it out...and "Hair"...human or otherwise....abounds...last time I pulled enough out of our dryer to make a freaking doormat...as a matter of fact?...I can even tell ya that if you think you have a "Squealing Belt" sound coming from your dryer?...chances are it's human hair bound up in the axels of the drum idler wheels...I just did that particular gig about 6 months ago...even lubed up the axels with high heat grease!
laugh.gif

Repairmen charge about $75 an hour with a minimum housecall.....I can check my brakers and fuses annnnd...clean a lot of lint for $75 an hour. LOL!

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

must have been wired the heating element and spinner motor separately.  Normally they run on a 2 pole breaker which is larger than a standard 120V breaker.
I'm not sure how it was wired. We were renting a house at the time and it had these screw in fuse things (have never seen it before) one of them went out but I didn't know that before I bought a new dryer.

Back