Drive chain slipping

8secBusa

Registered
227583754-Ti.jpg

My busa has 400 miles on it. I use it mostly at the dragstrip. The issue is that unless I run the chain with almost 0 slack, it clicks like it is slipping. When I do tighten the chain, it goes away. I have a picture from a launch and the chain seems to be wipping before the rear sprocket. Thoughts??

So how many of the 400 miles are from the strip? Stretching occurs more under hard use.
If its clicking it could be out off alignment. Or just to lose.
Something is wrong, find it before it snaps and kills your block.

CanadianMike is running a small GB on his billet sprocket cover. It is cheap insurance. Here

227583754-Ti.jpg

My busa has 400 miles on it. I use it mostly at the dragstrip. The issue is that unless I run the chain with almost 0 slack, it clicks like it is slipping. When I do tighten the chain, it goes away. I have a picture from a launch and the chain seems to be wipping before the rear sprocket. Thoughts??
The busa is funny about making this noise(been hearing it for years on all types of drag setups long and short).I have heard it several times while at the tracks standing at the line...keep it well lubed and right amount of slack with proper alignment and you will be fine....chain with no slack is not good cause the chain has to have some type of pressure release or it will snap...keep a eye on rollers and upgrade chain to at least a zvx2 or drz if not really street ridden...

Thanks. I have about 75 passes on it. Are non oring chains better for maximun ET's?
The noise sounds like the chain is slipping on the sprockets, as soon as I ran the chain where I feel comfortable, it makes the noise, it sounds very similar to what a new Busa, temp tag and all sounds like at the track with the back Tq limiter.

On a busa with an extended swingarm, you will need to adjust the chain much tighter than a stock swingarm. The adjustment will depend on the length of the extension, and the weight of the rider. On a stock swingarm, as weight is applied, the swingarm moves up in the back and will tighten the chain. If you look at a stock swingarm, it runs at an angle from the engine down. an extended swingarm will run almost level with the ground, depending on the length. as it moves up under weight and acceleration, it can move over center and actually loosen the chain up. Another factor to consider is how the rear suspension is set up. If it's soft it will allow more travel of the swingarm. Set the adjustment where you usally do with the bike up on both stands. Sit on the bike and have a friend put some weight on the back to simulate the squat you would get at launch, and observe the adjustment.

Thanks. I have about 75 passes on it. Are non oring chains better for maximun ET's?
The noise sounds like the chain is slipping on the sprockets, as soon as I ran the chain where I feel comfortable, it makes the noise, it sounds very similar to what a new Busa, temp tag and all sounds like at the track with the back Tq limiter.
non oring will free up some power due to less friction and sometimes is a bit lighter...

Back