Drag racing clutches

fast08busa

Professional Pilot kinda sorta
Registered
wHAT IS A GOOD STREET/STRIP CLUTCH SETUP FOR AN 08? ANYONE USE THE KG CLUTCH FACTORY SETUPS?

tortilla flats 007.JPG

OEM is still the best. Do the Brock's clutch mod and maybe some stiffer springs if you need more. Unless you want a slider or drag only setup... :beerchug:

is it a pretty easy do it urself or should i leave it to the professionals.........

you can do it yourself by just following the guidlines from the online service manual and brocks instructions for his parts.

To agree with the other posts, OEM clutches are the best for a full-time street and part-time track bike. I've been running my 08 Busa now for over 2 yrs with the factory clutches in after doing the clutch mod and haven't had a lick of problems.

btw, at least on my bike I just lean the bike way over on it's sides and no oil wil come spill out when I pull the clutch cover off.

ape clutch packs suck. I fride one with less than 50 passes. I"m running an fbg now with 40lbs springs it works great.

besides the clutch, will the stock suspension ( keeping in mind full time street/ part time strip) hold up decently or what is a good upgrade. I am 6"0 270lbs.

Get ah strap for the front, there only about $20 and it helps a lot on the launch. If you can get your 60s down the little guys from japan will do the rest:laugh:

ape clutch packs suck. I fride one with less than 50 passes. I"m running an fbg now with 40lbs springs it works great.

50 passes sounds like a lot of passes in my opinion... I have been racing for many years and have found that oem seems to be the best but they are expensive in comparison to ape clutches. You have to understand that the clutch on any bike is not designed to be dragraced and the clutches are the weak link! If you race, and you race hard then your goin to eat clutches, and if you aint eating clutches then you aint really racing. I am waiting on my second set of ape clutches to come in cause my clutches start slipping on the big end last weekend, NOT from poor clutch design but from lots of nitrous and no lockup. So im not goin to dog ape clutches because so far they have performed well and i can almost buy 2 ape sets for the price of 1 oem set!

of course changing your gearing helps alot with clutch wear when racing, im running tall gearing so i can get my mph higher and therefore my et lower on my nitrous bike so that makes it harder on the clutches when launching. plus im 270 lbs (I have lost weight, got a wedding coming up) and running low 9's, poor clutch! haha

i made dozens and dozens of passes with my stock clutch between last year and this year. i bet nearly a hundred before i replaced mine with kg. I got 40 k out of my stock clutch. my mechanic recommended kg actually. he said he believed they were as good as stock but cost less.

also do the brock clutch mod with the stiffer springs for sure...that is a must if you drag....

I have nearly 200 runs on my original clutch pack. Been drag racing it for the last 2 years. I recently removed the clutch to check and measure them. All fibers where with in service limits and the steels are all flat( no warpage) I scuffed up the steels with some emory cloth and reinstalled them. I do have Brocks clutch mod and am using the stock springs with the spacers. :thumbsup:

No, I've been thousands of times and have used stock clutches on all my BUSA's since 2001. I do recommend the Brock's clutch mod though... :beerchug:

Back