Nlr boost compensate clutch question

busakiller

Registered
Anyone here running this clutch for drag racing? I have questions on how to set this up for drag racing.

Gen 1 busa 72 inch hook up

How do you set this clutch up for drag racing?

Bike won’t 60 foot for its life. I think the best it has done is a 1.599.

Asking for a friend who’s going to the track this weekend. Trying to help him get it dialed in.

Anyone here running this clutch for drag racing? I have questions on how to set this up for drag racing.

Gen 1 busa 72 inch hook up

How do you set this clutch up for drag racing?

Bike won’t 60 foot for its life. I think the best it has done is a 1.599.

Asking for a friend who’s going to the track this weekend. Trying to help him get it dialed in.
What’s the hp, launch rpm, and is it a built motor?

What’s the hp, launch rpm, and is it a built motor?

Built motor, stock cams with ported head. Launch rpm is around 5000. Turbo is a 6262 twin scroll. I think he has wastegate spring unit right now is 18 psi. Which I believe is way to high to start with. He doesn’t have a boost controller on it. Trying to convince him to turn it way down and focus on his front half. Don’t know the power as it made 260 on 6 psi. After that we don’t have any numbers cause it would just spin the tire on the dyno. Chris burns tuned this spring.

Built motor, stock cams with ported head. Launch rpm is around 5000. Turbo is a 6262 twin scroll. I think he has wastegate spring unit right now is 18 psi. Which I believe is way to high to start with. He doesn’t have a boost controller on it. Trying to convince him to turn it way down and focus on his front half. Don’t know the power as it made 260 on 6 psi. After that we don’t have any numbers cause it would just spin the tire on the dyno. Chris burns tuned this spring.

Oh, you mean chris BOOM! He’s about 10 min away from me.

On my gen 1 I ran a 14lb spring, and made 7psi on Boost builder. I was 350lbs then, and the bike was 8 over. I managed high 1.3s, but it was getting wild as the boost would shoot to 14psi.

With turbo bikes you want to launch right at or just before peak torque. Usually around 8-8500rpm. However with the boost that high, and that short of wheelbase, it would stand up instantly. I’d suggest a 10lb spring like you were saying to get the front half down. Try leaving at 6-6500 and go up from there. It’s worth looking at the tune too. It’s pretty common to see from the instant the clutch starts letting out, to when you’re wide open to peg the wideband rich, which causes bogging.

Oh, you mean chris BOOM! He’s about 10 min away from me.

On my gen 1 I ran a 14lb spring, and made 7psi on Boost builder. I was 350lbs then, and the bike was 8 over. I managed high 1.3s, but it was getting wild as the boost would shoot to 14psi.

With turbo bikes you want to launch right at or just before peak torque. Usually around 8-8500rpm. However with the boost that high, and that short of wheelbase, it would stand up instantly. I’d suggest a 10lb spring like you were saying to get the front half down. Try leaving at 6-6500 and go up from there. It’s worth looking at the tune too. It’s pretty common to see from the instant the clutch starts letting out, to when you’re wide open to peg the wideband rich, which causes bogging.

Thank you. I will take video tonight and show what happens. Some days he takes advice and some days he doesn’t. We will see what happens.

Well last night was interesting. He had 22 or 24 psi wastegate springs in. Bike was moving once it got going. He didn’t have any tools with him or different springs. He was using 2 step at 5xxx rpms. But I don’t think he’s wot tho when he’s launching. After he’s clutch out the bike doesn’t seem like it’s moving until 200 feet out.

D3727936-CDC1-4FD3-9B43-D451BF4A3EE3.jpeg

The only way you will be able to get any real drag racing benefit from a pressure based clutch is with a programmable controller, as well as a data logger.

The pressure based clutch can work fine on the street as as lockup, however without knowing what it is doing as d being able to actually control it, you wold be better suited with a single stage snowflake lockup. The boost pressure based system will never be consistent withour a control system and likely external air supply.

I made my own and use it to force lockup at high power levels on the Prostreet bike. I use an MTC Gen2 clutch for initial launch and lower gear / lower power area of the track.
John

Back