Don't know if this will hit the motorcycle shops but this is not a shock I'm sorry to say.

TallTom

Registered
This just came to me from my auto buddy. His dad was a machinist. He saw the end coming and taught both his sons the skill of old school machining. I hope his kids make a cajillion dollars for learning what is needed by shops like this.

"Due to the dwindling supply of quality machine shops and very poor quality aftermarket parts as well as a lack of people interested in learning the engine building and machine shop trades, I regret to inform our many current as well as past customers that we will no longer be taking on any new engine build orders unless it is for a car we are restoring. Since Covid, we have had to do rework on multiple engine builds due to poorly manufactured parts that failed during break in or machine work that was below our standards due to all the old farts like me dying off with no younger workers interested in taking their place. For example, rod bearings are now made too thin resulting in 390 and 401 crank grinds needing to be ground .0085, .0185 or .0285 under standard rod journal size yet all but one machine shop in the entire Phoenix area refused to do anything other than the standard .010, .020 or .030 grinds. Even worse, when the one shop that will grind the cranks the way we tell them we need them loses their crank grinder to retirement in another year or two, they do not plan to replace him. Machine work that used to have a turnaround of 2-3 weeks now takes a minimum of 2-4 months due to an acute lack of people interested in learning machine work and doing manual physical labor. In fact, one engine block was at a machine shop for a year and when we got it back hey did such a poor sleeve job in one cylinder that it was not even useable so it is now a 250 lb paper weight.

About 15 years ago I nearly bought out an aging gentlemen's machine shop and continue to regret not doing so due to the lack of availability of places to get the work done.

As for poor quality parts, Edelbrock aluminum heads are now such poor quality and filled with so much manufacturing machining slag that we have to completely disassemble them, reset the valve stem and spring heights and even sometimes have them resurfaced because the slag scratched the head gasket surface. Similarly, there are only a couple of camshaft manufacturers remaining that harden their cams correctly and nearly all flat tappet lifters are now such terrible quality and inconsistent hardness that we are no longer willing to risk losing a cam due to poorly made cams and lifters. In fact, we now only use either rollers or custom ground flat tappets with Johnson made lifters from Howard or Herbert. For example, we have probably used 50 or more Summit cams over the past 15 years but the last 4 we used did not even make it through break in so they too are now off the list of acceptable quality parts as well.

So what does all of this mean? We will honor whatever engines builds that are not part of a full restoration that we already have in the queue however we must warn all those who have been patiently waiting for their engines to be built that supply chain constraints in addition to rapidly declining parts quality along with a lack of qualified machine shop workers is resulting in our anticipated wait times to get an engine built often doubling in duration. And if anyone is tired of waiting and thinks they can do better elsewhere, we will fully refund their deposit and wish them well.

What used to take a couple of weeks to get back from a machine shop can easily now take 2-4 months or more resulting in our overall engine backlog now being 15-18 months. The bottom line is that custom engine building is on its way to becoming extinct and it won't be too many more years before all of us old farts that currently do this work either retire and/or die off resulting in engine building within the collector car hobby becoming nearly impossible to find And when you do find someone, don't be surprised if they are backed out 2+ years or more and that they only want to do Chevy builds and know zero about our beloved AMC engines. "The times they are a changin'."

This just came to me from my auto buddy. His dad was a machinist. He saw the end coming and taught both his sons the skill of old school machining. I hope his kids make a cajillion dollars for learning what is needed by shops like this.

"Due to the dwindling supply of quality machine shops and very poor quality aftermarket parts as well as a lack of people interested in learning the engine building and machine shop trades, I regret to inform our many current as well as past customers that we will no longer be taking on any new engine build orders unless it is for a car we are restoring. Since Covid, we have had to do rework on multiple engine builds due to poorly manufactured parts that failed during break in or machine work that was below our standards due to all the old farts like me dying off with no younger workers interested in taking their place. For example, rod bearings are now made too thin resulting in 390 and 401 crank grinds needing to be ground .0085, .0185 or .0285 under standard rod journal size yet all but one machine shop in the entire Phoenix area refused to do anything other than the standard .010, .020 or .030 grinds. Even worse, when the one shop that will grind the cranks the way we tell them we need them loses their crank grinder to retirement in another year or two, they do not plan to replace him. Machine work that used to have a turnaround of 2-3 weeks now takes a minimum of 2-4 months due to an acute lack of people interested in learning machine work and doing manual physical labor. In fact, one engine block was at a machine shop for a year and when we got it back hey did such a poor sleeve job in one cylinder that it was not even useable so it is now a 250 lb paper weight.

About 15 years ago I nearly bought out an aging gentlemen's machine shop and continue to regret not doing so due to the lack of availability of places to get the work done.

As for poor quality parts, Edelbrock aluminum heads are now such poor quality and filled with so much manufacturing machining slag that we have to completely disassemble them, reset the valve stem and spring heights and even sometimes have them resurfaced because the slag scratched the head gasket surface. Similarly, there are only a couple of camshaft manufacturers remaining that harden their cams correctly and nearly all flat tappet lifters are now such terrible quality and inconsistent hardness that we are no longer willing to risk losing a cam due to poorly made cams and lifters. In fact, we now only use either rollers or custom ground flat tappets with Johnson made lifters from Howard or Herbert. For example, we have probably used 50 or more Summit cams over the past 15 years but the last 4 we used did not even make it through break in so they too are now off the list of acceptable quality parts as well.

So what does all of this mean? We will honor whatever engines builds that are not part of a full restoration that we already have in the queue however we must warn all those who have been patiently waiting for their engines to be built that supply chain constraints in addition to rapidly declining parts quality along with a lack of qualified machine shop workers is resulting in our anticipated wait times to get an engine built often doubling in duration. And if anyone is tired of waiting and thinks they can do better elsewhere, we will fully refund their deposit and wish them well.

What used to take a couple of weeks to get back from a machine shop can easily now take 2-4 months or more resulting in our overall engine backlog now being 15-18 months. The bottom line is that custom engine building is on its way to becoming extinct and it won't be too many more years before all of us old farts that currently do this work either retire and/or die off resulting in engine building within the collector car hobby becoming nearly impossible to find And when you do find someone, don't be surprised if they are backed out 2+ years or more and that they only want to do Chevy builds and know zero about our beloved AMC engines. "The times they are a changin'."
Actually surprised it took this long....

The vintage car/motorcycle market is drying up as the younger generation either doesn't identify with the older vehicles or can't afford to own them and the older crowd already owns what they wanted to own...

The value of my brother's fully restored and beautiful '66 Impala keeps dropping every year and he says all the people he knows with vintage vehicles are all saying the same thing....

Bloody Hell. It is getting bad out there. I put new Yoshimura pipes, made in the USA, on my busa and then noticed the build quality is not nearly as finished as an older one I have on another bike. Sharp edges on the little tailpipe that sticks out of the can, visible machining marks that used to be polished off. Oh well, it's not a critical component, but "bearings" Arrrr

pulling-hair-6419636.jpg

You hit the nail on the head. I know two machine shops that both only do machine work now and no builds and I have two other friends both very experienced engine builders and one just lost 3 flat tappet lifters in the truck during break in, and the other friend lost 11 flat tappet lifters on the Dyno during break in. These were very mild street engines, nothing with high spring pressure. I looked at both engine failures and both engine lifters failed from no rotation. This can be caused from the lifter not ground with the same crown tapper as the cam lobe taper reducing lifter to lobe footprint, and the lifter bottom can be over honed too smooth reducing traction for the cam lobe to rotate the lifter, either of these is a sure quick death.

Yes we sometimes blame this on reduced zinc levels in our oils but in reality as engines burn cleaner you can reduce detergents thus you can reduce zinc levels and still have plenty of protection. And their are oils out there on the shelf with higher zinc levels that will also make the cam live but if the cam and lifter machining isn’t done correctly all the oil in the world can’t help it stay alive.

You hit the nail on the head. I know two machine shops that both only do machine work now and no builds and I have two other friends both very experienced engine builders and one just lost 3 flat tappet lifters in the truck during break in, and the other friend lost 11 flat tappet lifters on the Dyno during break in. These were very mild street engines, nothing with high spring pressure. I looked at both engine failures and both engine lifters failed from no rotation. This can be caused from the lifter not ground with the same crown tapper as the cam lobe taper reducing lifter to lobe footprint, and the lifter bottom can be over honed too smooth reducing traction for the cam lobe to rotate the lifter, either of these is a sure quick death.

Yes we sometimes blame this on reduced zinc levels in our oils but in reality as engines burn cleaner you can reduce detergents thus you can reduce zinc levels and still have plenty of protection. And their are oils out there on the shelf with higher zinc levels that will also make the cam live but if the cam and lifter machining isn’t done correctly all the oil in the world can’t help it stay alive.
It's just sad to watch the dominoes fall.

A couple years ago I bought a new Cub Cadet 50" riding mower for around $2600.
Keep in mind that I have went through Many used riding and push mowers over the years...I was probably 30 before I truly appreciated a good riding mower, lol, so I was excited to finally have something that I thought that I could depend on for several years.
Anyway, first time mowing, I literally couldn't go 10 feet without the seat safety killing the engine.
Long story short, I call Cub-Cadet, the service center they use in this area is an old mom and pop shop about a half hour away(a good place too).
They pick it up, confirm a seat safety malfunction, put in the warranty request to Cub-Cadet...and Cub-Cadet denies it!
Yes, brand new mower, I couldn't belive what I was hearing.
Several polite calls with Cub-Cadet only got me smug answers.
I then called Tractor Supply, where I bought it, and they said "What? Bring it back, we'll give your money back no problem", and they did.
Never again Cub-Cadet...never.
3 weeks ago, after a couple of years of serious thinking, I bought a new Toro, 54" zero-turn mower, and it was awesome.
Only when I got it home, I realized that it didn't have an hour meter, that I had to buy it seperate, but that it was plug and play. Ok, no big deal...only I had to order it, there were none in local stores.
So the mower sits a week in my shed, I get the hour meter and put it on...aaaannnd...nothing.
After several minutes of electrical troubleshooting (yay), there was no power in that part of the wiring harness...and there was supposed to be.
Given how well everything else worked, I *assumed* that the problem was likely minor, possibly a bad crimp over insulation or a loose connection.
Regardless, it was Brand New, so there was no way I was working on it, or having it sit in a shop while my grass grew.
So...back it went...it kinda hurt too, lol
Last summer a friend gave me his old 42" Craftsman riding mower. It works great (just takes a while, but beats pushing), and I'm thankful that I kept it, lol.
I can put that mower money towards my Gsxr1k and a future Goldwing anyway, and mowing will still take as long as it takes.
First world problems, but, it does make me very sad, for all the reasons mentioned in the previous posts.
My Dad is a retired engineer, he started out as an apprentice tool and die maker, 5 years of on the job, full time work and training, and school at night.
It led him to engineering and machine design.
I'm blue collar joe, and have been around the trades growing up, with friends in machining, electrical, plumbing, and welding.
I was QC where I work for over 7 years, and have been doing design in Solidworks for the last year or so (and make no claims to be good at it, lol), basically a big production machine shop.
Finding new help seems almost impossible, and machinists with 40 and 50 years of experience continue to retire.
Management here is foolish enough not to try to fill retirees positions ahead of time either, letting a new guy or guys not nesacerily apprentice under someone, but rather a year or so of letting them absorb as much of those decades of experience as they can, as it will only be a fraction, but priceless info to those who want it.
I am thankful that I'm not any younger, as society has so many issues on so many fronts.
It's going to take the Mike Rowe's of this world, and enough Willing young people(if there are enough, Willing being the key word) to dig us out of this.

Keep in mind that I have went through Many used riding and push mowers over the years...I was probably 30 before I truly appreciated a good riding mower, lol, so I was excited to finally have something that I thought that I could depend on for several years.
Anyway, first time mowing, I literally couldn't go 10 feet without the seat safety killing the engine.
Long story short, I call Cub-Cadet, the service center they use in this area is an old mom and pop shop about a half hour away(a good place too).
They pick it up, confirm a seat safety malfunction, put in the warranty request to Cub-Cadet...and Cub-Cadet denies it!
I then called Tractor Supply, where I bought it, and they said "What? Bring it back, we'll give your money back no problem", and they did.
3 weeks ago, after a couple of years of serious thinking, I bought a new Toro, 54" zero-turn mower, and it was awesome.
Only when I got it home, I realized that it didn't have an hour meter, that I had to buy it seperate, but that it was plug and play. Ok, no big deal...only I had to order it, there were none in local stores.
So the mower sits a week in my shed, I get the hour meter and put it on...aaaannnd...nothing.
After several minutes of electrical troubleshooting (yay), there was no power in that part of the wiring harness...and there was supposed to be.
Given how well everything else worked, I *assumed* that the problem was likely minor, possibly a bad crimp over insulation or a loose connection.
Regardless, it was Brand New, so there was no way I was working on it, or having it sit in a shop while my grass grew.
Last summer a friend gave me his old 42" Craftsman riding mower. It works great (just takes a while, but beats pushing), and I'm thankful that I kept it, lol.
I can put that mower money towards my Gsxr1k and a future Goldwing anyway, and mowing will still take as long as it takes.
First world problems, but, it does make me very sad, for all the reasons mentioned in the previous posts.
My Dad is a retired engineer, he started out as an apprentice tool and die maker, 5 years of on the job, full time work and training, and school at night.
I'm blue collar joe, and have been around the trades growing up, with friends in machining, electrical, plumbing, and welding.
I was QC where I work for over 7 years, and have been doing design in Solidworks for the last year or so (and make no claims to be good at it, lol), basically a big production machine shop.
Finding new help seems almost impossible, and machinists with 40 and 50 years of experience continue to retire.
Management here is foolish enough not to try to fill retirees positions ahead of time either, letting a new guy or guys not nesacerily apprentice under someone, but rather a year or so of letting them absorb as much of those decades of experience as they can, as it will only be a fraction, but priceless info to those who want it.
I am thankful that I'm not any younger, as society has so many issues on so many fronts.
It's going to take the Mike Rowe's of this world, and enough Willing young people(if there are enough, Willing being the key word) to dig us out of this.
Easy with the Cub Cadet talk........LOL!

I've had mine since 2017 with nary an issue....I was thinking of getting a Cub Cadet decal for my Bumblebee......

Of course it wasn't an inexpensive machine, neither of them were.

But I have noticed since the pandemic, quality assurance has dropped like a stone as companies are rushing out products to meet a demand

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

Also throw in all the parts we buy that are not emission legal, even just playing around with the ECU. It will get to the point when you need to replace a part you'll need to use a new oem. Sooner or later EPA will be looking over your shoulder whether your in your garage or shop. EPA is already going after the Aftermarket side and shops are closing by being fined to death.

Also throw in all the parts we buy that are not emission legal, even just playing around with the ECU. It will get to the point when you need to replace a part you'll need to use a new oem. Sooner or later EPA will be looking over your shoulder whether your in your garage or shop. EPA is already going after the Aftermarket side and shops are closing by being fined to death.
Having any sort of light cover is illegal here and police are actively pulling people over to give them summons to take their vehicles to be inspected after the covers have been removed...no fine just a summons...if they didn't remove them or report to the inspection station, then a fine was issued.

The crazy part is a person could go into our local stores and buy the light covers with ease.....it was almost as if the temptation was put under their noses.

I guess the same is with everything...I do note that many exhaust systems say "for off road use only" as a disclaimer to cover their arses...

It's not just short sighted thinking in the trades. It goes across the board.

I was just talking to my friend Richard who works for Siemens Medical in Field Services. He goes all over maintaining imaging equipment.

And he is ready to retire. He has all his points. He can walk out the door now. In 2021 he told his boss, he was going to retire in 2024. And here is my plan. I'll take on my replacement in 2022, train him fulltime for a year of 2022. Then in 2023 I'll scale back from 5 days a week to 3 days a week and gradually make sure my new guy has got it and just advise as needed as needed for my last quarter of 2024.

It's now late April of 2024. They not only haven't hired his replacement, they haven't even posted the position.

He has now reduced down to 3 days a week.

Some young energetic kid could have a stellar job going all over the world, making great $$.

Or Seimens could lose their reputation for after sale support of their imaging equipment.

It looks like the latter will be their choice. Everyone else is.

Easy with the Cub Cadet talk........LOL!

I've had mine since 2017 with nary an issue....I was thinking of getting a Cub Cadet decal for my Bumblebee......

Of course it wasn't an inexpensive machine, neither of them were.

But I have noticed since the pandemic, quality assurance has dropped like a stone as companies are rushing out products to meet a demand

View attachment 1682314

View attachment 1682315

Lol, but you got pre-plandemic/aka Quality equipment, so you're fortunate.
I think it's becoming obvious just how many intelligent and productive people really did leave the workforce during covid.
We know that sadly many passed, or have long term health problems, and the poor economy or closing businesses caused that many more to take whatever retirement that they could(not turning this to a covid thread either, lol).
What we have left is a generation that cares about a paycheck, and not much else.
I won't start on Gen3 Busa problems either, lol, but I am seriously at the point to where I think that I will never buy a new car or truck, or a motorcycle, or equipment (like a mower)ever again.
I don't want to risk the hassle any more.
I will happily buy used, and repair or replace what is needed myself.
I have seen too much with things that myself and people that I know have bought new lately...only to find out that whatever also came with problems.
I'll pass.

Yeah, Treudeau needs to pay the old @Bumblebee a visit...let him know how his snowblower is destroying Canadia...give him a shovel and help save the world...

(that would be great on the local news)
lmao

Last edited:
Lol, but you got pre-plandemic/aka Quality equipment, so you're fortunate.
I think it's becoming obvious just how many intelligent and productive people really did leave the workforce during covid.
We know that sadly many passed, or have long term health problems, and the poor economy or closing businesses caused that many more to take whatever retirement that they could(not turning this to a covid thread either, lol).
What we have left is a generation that cares about a paycheck, and not much else.
I won't start on Gen3 Busa problems either, lol, but I am seriously at the point to where I think that I will never buy a new car or truck, or a motorcycle, or equipment (like a mower)ever again.
I don't want to risk the hassle any more.
I will happily buy used, and repair or replace what is needed myself.
I have seen too much with things that myself and people that I know have bought new lately...only to find out that whatever also came with problems.
I'll pass.
An old guy I used to serve with had a saying for times like this:

"It appears their give-a-f*ck factor has got up and left"

Quality control has definitely taken a huge hit......crazily enough, I was talking to a mechanic the other day and he was saying products made in Mexico are actually doing better than those made in Canada and the US these days.......and that's a scary thought.....

It's not just short sighted thinking in the trades. It goes across the board.

I was just talking to my friend Richard who works for Siemens Medical in Field Services. He goes all over maintaining imaging equipment.

And he is ready to retire. He has all his points. He can walk out the door now. In 2021 he told his boss, he was going to retire in 2024. And here is my plan. I'll take on my replacement in 2022, train him fulltime for a year of 2022. Then in 2023 I'll scale back from 5 days a week to 3 days a week and gradually make sure my new guy has got it and just advise as needed as needed for my last quarter of 2024.

It's now late April of 2024. They not only haven't hired his replacement, they haven't even posted the position.

He has now reduced down to 3 days a week.

Some young energetic kid could have a stellar job going all over the world, making great $$.

Or Seimens could lose their reputation for after sale support of their imaging equipment.

It looks like the latter will be their choice. Everyone else is.

Yeah, I hear the same stories accross multiple fields.
My fiance has been an RN for over 26 years, in the MDS/insurance side for several years now...and the outlook from several of the folks near retirement age, and at a couple different homes and hospitals all say the same, not good and concern for the future.

Yeah, Treudeau needs to pay the old @Bumblebee a visit...let him know how his snowblower is destroying Canadia...give him a shovel and help save the world...
Oh he and his cronies are making that known.......more and more E-mowers/blowers are being pushed over gas these days......

The city of Ottawa has been forced to use only e-mowers and other e-equipment as part of their green plan....the problem with that is, the e-mowers are far more expensive and it takes a lot longer to cut the same grass as they need to be recharged more often.....

There are now city workers whose daily task is to run around charging and bringing charged batteries to other workers in areas where there's no power source.....the crazy thing is they are driving F250 (or similar) trucks to do this....

Our environmental minister used to be a climate activist.....this explains what kind of people our glorious leader surrounds himself with

Yeah, I hear the same stories accross multiple fields.
My fiance has been an RN for over 26 years, in the MDS/insurance side for several years now...and the outlook from several of the folks near retirement age, and at a couple different homes and hospitals all say the same, not good and concern for the future.
I get paid to transport patients. I have grown a niche out of that. They are often short staffed and the patient should not be unattended in the system. So I offer to cover. They can't say yes fast enough. So they get charged an attendant fee. At an hourly rate. Billed in 1 hour increments. My revenues are up 35% from this add.

For little ride on's the Rover mini hydro is hard to beat. 32" cut, 11Hp. I have owned two, used them for commercial work on a daily basis. Only reason I sold the first after 2 years was I retired. The other one will probably last me the rest of life doing the property at home. We're talking Mulch mowing here, they have a catcher arrangement you can buy but if you want to go there you're probably better off with a larger mower.

The vintage car/motorcycle market is drying up as the younger generation either doesn't identify with the older vehicles or can't afford to own them and the older crowd already owns what they wanted to own...

Last edited:
I've heard that somewhere before....

Oh yeah.....here:

Actually surprised it took this long....

The value of my brother's fully restored and beautiful '66 Impala keeps dropping every year and he says all the people he knows with vintage vehicles are all saying the same thing....

Back