found a very small crack in the engine

samizx7

Registered
I found a small crack in the engine. I was wondering what you guys think. Should i take the engine off, or would someone be able to weld it, with the engine on the bike. i am going to take the bike to machine shop, but wondering what do you guys think.
These are pictures that i have; i took off everything of the front of the bike to clear a room. Check out the pictures

<!--EDIT|samizx7
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133042597 -->

Looks like a tool mark or casting mark frpm the pic.

Sorry but its a little hard to judge with the phots.

Cheers
Ross

<!--EDIT|Rosco
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133044145 -->

put a bolt in it tighten slowly and watch for seperation.looks like tooling mark with it was slow to lift after cut.

so GoldenChild , do you think it needs a weld or not. the mechaine shop said it need(he does not know alot about bikes) let me know what you think

let the camera focus it's a little blurred ,did you try the bolt thing i told you?

weld it. I don`t think that crack is too bad or will get worse.
How much welder charge you? $20 ? Go for it.

What mounts in the hole?

It doesn't look too bad. A welder should be able to grind it back and lay a bead on it. You'll probably have to re-tap the hole after they're done. Just coat the tap with some bearing grease to catch the small shavings.

If it is indeed a crack I'd let them weld it with the engine in the frame. Just make sure the welder is properly grounded and make it a point to tell the guy doing the job. Poor ground connection could ruin your bearings. I'd also unplug and remove the ECU just to be on the safe side.

If it is indeed a crack I'd let them weld it with the engine in the frame.  Just make sure the welder is properly grounded and make it a point to tell the guy doing the job.  Poor ground connection could ruin your bearings.  I'd also unplug and remove the ECU just to be on the safe side.
How it could ruin your bearings? I didn`t get it.
I would not reccomend using frame as ground point.

Good one about unpluging your ECU and battery.

If it is indeed a crack I'd let them weld it with the engine in the frame.  Just make sure the welder is properly grounded and make it a point to tell the guy doing the job.  Poor ground connection could ruin your bearings.  I'd also unplug and remove the ECU just to be on the safe side.
How it could ruin your bearings? I didn`t get it.
I would not reccomend using frame as ground point.

Good one about unpluging your ECU and battery.
You want a good clean ground as close to the repair as possible. A poor ground far away from the repair may allow current to pass between bearing surfaces which will cause spalling.

http://www.vibanalysis.co.uk/technical/electric/electric.html

i would only weld it if it was badly cracked, if you do have to get it welded make sure u find someone who is a good aluminum welder or you could have problems with it again.

Back