fell over my fairings :(

samizx7

Registered
today i was working on my busa in my very small storage room. well i fall over on my fairing (the tail was on the floor) and i broke it. there is a F$$$ crack 7 inches long. i am very upset, it was going to be painted, but now i have to fix it. what is the best way to do it.

<!--EDIT|samizx7
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134933196 -->

Junk it and buy a new one.

Call Kathy at J&M Chopper Shop 304-748-2009

She will get you the best prices.

You could spend a whole lot of time trying to weld the plastic (Habourfrieght.com has cheap plastic weld kits) and rematch the paint or just pop for the new piece and be done with it.

Also, it sounds like you might be a candidate for the kickk-stand mod,,, and some carpet in your storage room!
smile.gif

Good luck

the whole body is going to be painted. so i am not worry about matching it to the stock color, i was sanding down the fairing(that why the tail was on the floor) so what should i do to fix the tail??

You could weld it like I mentioned. (Do you hav any experience in that?)
blues.gif
It's a very trying art. Can be fun if you have the patience.

Or you could look for another painter. I might have an extra tail section. I'm not sure if it has a crack or hole in it, too. But I could check if you wnated me too.
cool.gif

man it is only 5 by 10 plus i have alot of #### in it. it is as small as it get. i might try to do it my self.
by the way how much you want for the tail

what is the best way to do it.
I had to repair some of my fairings and I "plastic welded" it back together. <ul>
[*]You need to find a piece of the exact same plastic/fairing material, otherwise it will not bond.
[*]Next you can use a industrial soldering gun and melt the plastic back onto the fairing, front side and back.
[*]Then sand it down.
[*]Even if you buy a new fairing just try it you have nothing to lose, you may surprise yourself how easy & affective it really is.
[/list]

what is the best way to do it.
I had to repair some of my fairings and I "plastic welded" it back together.  <ul>
[*]You need to find a piece of the exact same plastic/fairing material, otherwise it will not bond.  
[*]Next you can use a industrial soldering gun and melt the plastic back onto the fairing, front side and back.  
[*]Then sand it down.  
[*]Even if you buy a new fairing just try it you have nothing to lose, you may surprise yourself how easy & affective it really is.
[/list]
Hey samizx7, if you want to try this option, let me know, I have old broken pieces and I'm frequently in the Miami area.

Kev

Hey samizx7, if you want to try this option, let me know, I have old broken pieces and I'm frequently in the Miami area.

Kev
<ul>
[*]Here is a pic of my Headlamp repair. I didn't sand it down to make it look good since it will be hidden. But this save me hundreds of dollars over a new one, since you can't just buy the piece that was broken.
[*]I would post a pic of my fairing welds but they're at the painter and I didn't take any before pics...
[/list]

Headlamp_Weld.JPG

Here is a pic of the Soldering Gun I used. And the tip I used is also the one that is attached to the gun on the box.

Soldering_Gun.JPG

Another option would be to use a chemical bonding/welding technique. Attached are some pics of a kit ($20) I picked up at a motorcyle show in Chicago a few years ago. The guy put on an amazing demonstration at the show so I bought a kit intending to use it on the fairings of my CBR600 but then I bought the busa and you can probably guess how far down the "to do list" the repair project went.

Clipboard.jpg

thanks guys. i have an extra tail from an R6 would that work?? i am going to use the method Fan2zee posted. i am going to work fromt the back but i am not sure how to do it fromt the front. how much plastic do you melt from the front. thanks guys

<ul>
[*]Just put a little on the back side first, then sand it down to give you an idea of how much to use.
[*]Its not only the amount you put on, you also need to be sure you are heating up the fairing so it attaches.
[*]Be sure the R6 fairing is the same plastic. The manufacture don't use the same specs of material.
[*]I have some left over fairing material if you need some.
[/list]
Have fun!

i wish i kept the broken fairing i had. anyway i am going to see if i do not find any i will let you know. thanks

Back