Bike Fell Over

GSXRFANN

FLUNKIE
Donating Member
Registered
At the track the other day, after my last run of the day I had my bike parked behind my trailer. Well, it just plain fell over on the right side. No biggie really, except for the fact that, after I had waited 30 min or so, I started the bike up and the oil light would NOT go off and it almost sounds like the bike is knocking. I figure it has to be something simple, but I don't what. I am by no means a mechanic on one of these things. Simple things yes, but something to do with the oil...NO WAY!!
Does anyone have any ideas, as to what I should look for?

What does the oil look like in the site glass. It sounds like you may just be running low on oil.

The air-box could have filled with the excess oil that drained when the bike tipped.

Well, it is time for an oil change anyway. The site glass was dead on the full mark. But the oil was nice and black..lol, so I was gonna change the oil anyway. I guess I will try to crank it today and see if anything changes. I hope you guys are right!! I sure can't afford to have the bike worked on right now. I don't have the money, and I don't have the time cause I am now in first place in the points and we have another race this weekend, so time is limited as well as cash!!

Your pump may have lost its prime...
lurk.gif

There was a guy here a few weeks ago that changed his oil and after the oil light wouldn't go out and it was knocking. He was told the same thing about the oil pump losing its prime and to just crack the throttle real good a few times and that took care of it. How long was the bike on its side? Did you see it right away?

I would say it was on it's side for about 45-60seconds. I am scared to whatck the throttle too much with it not having any oil pressure.
So does everyone think this is a good idea???

Have you done the oil change? Make sure get the filter as full as possible taking into account the spillage upon mounting it so as to get as much oil into the bore to help prime things up.

i dont think revving it a few times to get the oil moving would hurt it i mea if it doest help in 4-5 revs drop that idea.

I let the bike sit for a couple of days, then I started it and the oil light stayed on but I gave it a couple of good revs and it went off.

Thanks guys for the input!!!
thumb_up.gif

I would say it was on it's side for about 45-60seconds. I am scared to whatck the throttle too much with it not having any oil pressure.
So does everyone think this is a good idea???
because you are smarter than that... whacking the throttle without oil pressure is not a very good idea.. (even if it works, metal to metal knocking noise is a bad indicator)

changing the oil might fix the problem. Bike tips over, oil pump gets air locked (and stays that way because the oil level will not let the air escape..

dump the oil, change filter , refill and refire the thing... (I pre-fill oil filters out of habit but really not that big a deal)

Back