Don't fear the cold

CWCobra

Registered
Brrrr - chilly! Went riding this a.m. @ 40 degrees and cloudy, winds 15-25 from the WNW.

But I bundled up, and was actually very comfortable. Rode for about an hour - 50 miles or so. Got a bit worried here and there about cold roads, damp spots, leaves, cold tires, etc., so I was VERY careful.

One overall conclusion: the 'Busa is much warmer than my Honda VTX cruiser.
Another conclusion: with proper gear, one can probably ride year-round here in Tennessee. Even in dead of winter, temps are often no colder than today.

I did have one close call: I was winding out 2nd gear to about 75 or so, and was passed by a LEO headed in the other direction of a divided highway. His lights came on, but either he couldn't get turned anound, or my quick turn off on a side road saved the day. In any event, I slowed down a bit after that.

Be careful out there, but don't fear the cold.

CW

your right, bundle up and in our area we can ride nearly all year if your dressed correctly. glad ya had a good ride. :beerchug:

i just need to get a ski mask to wear. My neck is really the only thing that gets me.

I just got back from town and it is about 48 and windy here too. my hands got cold but all in all i stayed pretty warm. I also had a close call but with another bird of prey. a red tail hawk decided he'd leave the side of the road and take my lane but luck was on my side because he saw me and detoured just in time. By the way they can turn faster than the busa. Ya'll be carefull out there.

I don't fear the cold, either. My weapon, HotHands. I went out for a ride from 4:50 am until about 7:00ish and didn't get cold at all. Did about 130 miles (all highway). I put 2 big ones in my front shirt pockets and two on my biceps. My arms got so hot that I took them off after about an hour and a half and dropped them inside my shirt on the stomach section. These things rock!!! When I'm done with them, I just keep them in a ziplock bag to keep them fresh for the next ride. Forgot to mention that it was windy too. Didn't bother me at all.

Last edited:
I ride year around. If it's above 15, I'd go for a ride - even for a short one - like 30 min.

Somehow, I avoided electric or otherwise warmers. I put on thermal underwear, neck warmer, winter riding gloves, double socks.

Worth a thousand words. :cheerleader: Embrace the adventure. :laugh:

Img_0178_MtLassen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like riding in the cold. I got one of those fleece hood/masks, that the hunters wear ($15.00 - $20.00), and that makes a huge difference. My only problem is my hands, I need to get some winter gloves, but every time I tried a pair they were so thick, and it just didn't feel right.

Anyone know of a pair of warm riding gloves, that aren't too thick ?

I ride year around as well. The only realy fear I have is "Traction". Cold roads are awfully slippery. Especially when they are damp or wet, along with fir needles and leaves here and there. Really it's not much fun to just putt around ever so gently in order to stay upright.

Any time it's over 50 degrees I'm ready but colder than that it's not all that much fun.

"Cold ????"....what is this word you use ????......every Busa-pilot should have one of these..."Really"... :super:

Suit.jpg

I like riding in the cold. I got one of those fleece hood/masks, that the hunters wear ($15.00 - $20.00), and that makes a huge difference. My only problem is my hands, I need to get some winter gloves, but every time I tried a pair they were so thick, and it just didn't feel right.

Anyone know of a pair of warm riding gloves, that aren't too thick ?

I just ordered a pair of these off ebay.... hopefully they will work pretty well :thumbsup:

2009_Alpinestars_Polar_Goretex_Glov.jpg

(( FEAR THE COLD ))

Bring it on, As a child I had to walk 20 Miles to school, Barefoot in the snow, carrying my little sister on my bike while dragging the 6 neighbor kids on a mattress uphill ( yep both ways ). as we passed by the Brunners yard I had to fight off there 12 Large dogs with one leg while hopping on the other. When we finally cleared the Brunners I had to carry each child across an Ice cold stream keeping them raised above my head so they wouldnt get wet. Once out of the stream it was an open feild where the -20 Degree windchill would slice right through my wet battered body.

So dont fear the cold you say, Ha I laugh at the cold, I fear nothing, Nothing I tell you.

Ok maybe spiders.

But after the Eureka ride ( 37 Degrees at 85 MPH ) I aint riding that Busa below 45 Degrees again.

Back