Suspension and cold weather tire questions

mcoyote

Registered
(1) I weigh near 280lb with all my gear on (hey, I'm tall, stop that!) and have the rear preload ring as far down as it would go with the rear wheel in the air. It feels ok, but a bit "taught" in the turns.

Fork preload is at four, BTW.

I know I'm pushing the shock anyway, but does it sound like I've over-done the preload? I'd like to pick up an Ohlins with a nice stiff spring, but that's a little more than I'd like to spend right now.

(2) I'm riding every day right now, even when it's well below freezing. With my heated gear I don't have too much trouble down to about 16degF (pretty rare) on the streets or 20degF on the highway.

However, the bike isn't liking the cold pavement -- my Sportec M1's are nearing the end of their useful lives and the twisties are frankly getting to be a drag when they're cold. What might be a better "cold weather" tire for the 'Busa?

Thanks!

Check your sag. You may need even more preload. Check out the sport rider website. They got some good susp set up tips and guidlines. I am glad to see someone worried about the susp set up. It is often overlooked and makes a huge diff in how the bike will handle.

You say it feels Taught??? I don't know what that means. If it feels too stiff, perhaps take out some compression damping.

No tires like cold weather - be forewarned that traction is limited (very limited) until they warm up from riding. Nothing you can do about this - especially since Busa's are strong pullers to say the least, if the tire is cold you will spin every time. Be careful. Not much help with the rest of your question, sorry - I am only 145 lbs.

No tires like cold weather - be forewarned that traction is limited (very limited) until they warm up from riding. Nothing you can do about this - especially since Busa's are strong pullers to say the least, if the tire is cold you will spin every time. Be careful. Not much help with the rest of your question, sorry - I am only 145 lbs.
Agreed.

One other thing, asphalt gets stickier when it is hot. (Look out for the shaded areas when canyon riding!)

It's going to suck in the cold whether no matter what.

You could try spikes like the ice riders!
laugh.gif

Oh, and this is also why racers wrap their tires in heaters while not in use (so as to be ready at a momment's notice).

Everyone probabaly knows this stuff - not trying to be a know it all. But I am sharing just in case someone forgot or never thought about it.

Also consider that low temperatures might also affect spring and compression rates, further screwing withe things.

Dman it, where is spring - THIS SUCKS!

<!--EDIT|EAKbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076363423 -->

Back