Does this sound right?

dolilind

Registered
Ive been digesting this for a few days now. Back in Sept i sold my busa to the new member greenmonster13. Since he has been home from service he has had a rash of problems with the bike. Im not sure where they are coming from. It started when he got home and started it and it fouled the plugs, then dropped it. Now we are at this week, the bike has had couple sets of plugs some aka tuning without a dyno. And now he calls me this week looking for advice on why the bike needs piston rings. What is going on with this bike. The motor was built/tested and dyno tuned last feb. I took it to the bash and put about 200 easy miles on it then got in maybe 300 more before my back went out and i couldnt ride it in June. So the bike sat from 1rst of june to dec with a few warmups in between time.
This all sounds really strange to me, last time i knew when you blew rings you would blow smoke BAD out the pipe. When I dropped the bike off to his wife and rode it into the living room it was not smoking. When i rode it around the town down there it had no problems. Even offered to take his wife on a test drive to make sure it was ok and passed on the offer.
To me it sounds like he is dealing with a BS mechanic that know nothing about race motors and tryn to fix it by putting parts on it. Any other opinions?
I really and tryn to help the guy but its really hard to do over the phone.

Ive been digesting this for a few days now. Back in Sept i sold my busa to the new member greenmonster13. Since he has been home from service he has had a rash of problems with the bike. Im not sure where they are coming from. It started when he got home and started it and it fouled the plugs, then dropped it. Now we are at this week, the bike has had couple sets of plugs some aka tuning without a dyno. And now he calls me this week looking for advice on why the bike needs piston rings. What is going on with this bike. The motor was built/tested and dyno tuned last feb. I took it to the bash and put about 200 easy miles on it then got in maybe 300 more before my back went out and i couldnt ride it in June. So the bike sat from 1rst of june to dec with a few warmups in between time.
This all sounds really strange to me, last time i knew when you blew rings you would blow smoke BAD out the pipe. When I dropped the bike off to his wife and rode it into the living room it was not smoking. When i rode it around the town down there it had no problems. Even offered to take his wife on a test drive to make sure it was ok and passed on the offer.
To me it sounds like he is dealing with a BS mechanic that know nothing about race motors and tryn to fix it by putting parts on it. Any other opinions?
I really and tryn to help the guy but its really hard to do over the phone.

the 1st thing i look for when a bike fouls plugs is a dirty air-filter....a old weak battery can make the bike act a bit fugged up too...did the battery go dead and need a re-charge when you left it sit?

Do a leakdown test to tell if there is a problem with the rings. Burnt pistons or damaged rings are caused by a lean fuel mixture. A gummed up fuel filter or injectors could be the cause if there was no stabilizer added to the fuel tank prior to storage.

Does sound like there is some fuel delivery problems going on alright, fouled plugs pretty much point that out. Does it still have the same gas in it from June?
Sounds like he just needs to find himself a decent mechanic in his local to figure it out. Probably just the usual problems that come from setting a long time.
As for the rings, I'd definitly tell him to get a second and third opinion on that. If he's taking it to a 'Zuk dealership to work on it, there's the problem right there. Most of those people can barely deal with a stock bike, not going to have a clue with a modded one.

Where is the bike located now? Could a member that knows a little about bikes go take a look at it? Seems to me that it shouldn't need rings, why does he think it does? What kind of tuning was done?

Why does he think the bike needs new rings? Was it what his mechanic said? Did his mechanic just say it is needed or did he do a proper compression and leak down test? That test is how to determine on a sealed engine (still in the bike) if the rings are in need of replacing. If the mechanic is saying smoking exhaust therefore new rings are needed then I would suspect possible quick talk to charge for lots of labor.

I am sure there is more to the story but that is one question I have reading your post.

If it is running rich enough to foul the plugs right away I am sure it is rich enough to smoke because of the fuel mixture but it would be black smoke.

Few things. The bike does run rich. It was dyno tuned for my elevation here in Indiana and now its at sea level. It was also tuned to run a heavy shot of nitrous. The bottom is is mostly stock with less than 10 on it. The top end has V+H pro head ported and polished with 2 adjustable intake cams. The bike ran fine up here even when i delivered it it ran good, not sayn it didnt need retuned for being at sea level and tuned down to not run NOS. It also did have fuel stablizers and boosters in the tank for the sit down time. The one thing that does scare me is he had the bike retuned without being on a dyno in NC outside charlotte. I was warned when i did the motor work not to ever do this being the toilerances where very tight on that motor and head setup. And after standing in the shop when my dyno tune was going on it was very detailed at what went on and it was very critical at what levels the fuel and igintion tables where set at. Im just worried the guy who tuned it up jacked the map up so bad it melted the rings and now the owner is try to pin it on me.

I second the leakdown test first. If it was running rich enough to foul plugs all the time, it could've washed the bores down and ruined the rings. It takes awhile for that to happen, though.

Altitude differences between Indiana and sea level are very, very minor. It shouldn't have required a retune.

Have you reloaded the dyno tuned map back on it? Sounds like the new mechanic doesn't know how to work on non-stock bikes.

I second the leakdown test first. If it was running rich enough to foul plugs all the time, it could've washed the bores down and ruined the rings. It takes awhile for that to happen, though.

Altitude differences between Indiana and sea level are very, very minor. It shouldn't have required a retune.

I 2nd that. Darrell your elevation is what - 500ft ASL. The minor elevation change should not be a problem That thing ran like a raped ape at the Bash last year and we were a couple thousand feet over the elevation in Indiana. Sounds like possibly either has a bad mechanic, someone looking to take advantage of another in a down economy, or who knows.....just saying. :whistle:

If that bikes tuned to run on NOS, BINGO theres your problem.to much gas not enuff air, fowled plugs, black smoke.:whistle:

Sorry about the issue. I know you and I know this is bothering you. I watched you ride that bike in April. Saw you leave the CROT and make the first curve in seconds. You rode it on delivery and pulled it into the house. Keep helping, but the problem doesn't belong in your house brother. He needs a better mech.

What kind of GOOD mechanic would tune a bike without it being on a dyno, especially one tuned for NOSV
Posted via Mobile Device

If the bike was retuned without a dyno, my first question would be, what kind of map was used????? Sounds like this guy needs a new mechanic. Where near Charlotte was the bike tuned? There are a couple of great tuners in the Charlotte area, but they use dynos. I would find out how many miles the guy has put on since the "retune".

Back