DOES OLD OIL CUT HORSEPOWER?

I would think that putting new oil to your bike would LOWER the hp reading. ( unless the old one was of such poor quality that the friction was higher with it that with the new oil ) This because the viscosity is lower on an old oil compared to a fresh one. But I also think ( damn I think a lot these days ) that the difference is very small in any case. Lubing your chain....Now we are talking free horsepower ( on a Dynojet dyno not on a superflow or simular :) ).

viol8r, thanks but that thread doesn't really help.

We would need old oil vs fresh oil runs done on the same dyno.

If no one has any experience with that, or some knowledge on oil fatigue, I'll speak to my dyno tuner and get back to you.

If I know him, he'll be able to say how much power, if any, fresh oil is worth.

YNGVE: What's the horsepower difference between a dirty chain and a clean, well lubed one?

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 20 September 1999).]

I have seen up to 5 hp from just lubing the chain. And a much smoother curve too.
Always a good thing to do when dynoing your bike is to lube the chain, change the sparkplugs ( 2-3 hp on the FIRST run after U have changed them ) and so much pressure U can have without spinning on the drum in the rear tire . ( Just remember to use the same pressure EVERY time )

Dirty Pete,I changed my oil at 1902 miles and also cleaned and adjusted the chain and retorqued the rear axle nut.I switched from the standard type oil to synthetic blend Golden Spectro 10/40.The chain was cleaned with WD-40 and wiped down.Then I went to my friends shop so that he could verify my chain slack,he did the chain slack and we rolled the bike on the dyno.Ran three passes.Hope that helps,I think cleaning the chain and retorque of the reaxle had alot to do with the dyno run.

No offense taken Maui and none intended either. Knowing that you are a machinist I figured that you know the deal I am just offering my limited perspective. As for the observation about bearing failure leading to the piston that is a good point. In case you all haven't heard the ZX-11 series is famous for number 3 piston failure following the scenario that Maui explained. The current hypothesis is that oil depravation to the bearings in some 11 motors causes pitting which eventually provides ashtrays or pencil holders for many zx-11 owners. Some think that the oil depravation could be a design flaw created by the know it all engineers. Others think that it could be caused by excessive wheelieng the jury is still out though and it could be a combination of both factors. Too bad the bearings can't talk and hopefully you guys won't encounter anything like this with the busa. No offense to the Dr. either although I doubt he cares much because we insult each other regularly and it is allot of fun.

Why do we change oil at all ? Because it's contaminated of course. Contamination means more friction which leads to wear and reduction in horsepower. If it didn't lead to more friction why change it at all ?

There is actually a difference between oils as well, 1-2 hp can be gained (from dynoassisted oiltests).

Back