Chain lube - with old engine oil

steelhead

Registered
I am aware of the viscosity factors in gear oil that make it good as a chain lubricant. As I understand it, the racing team mechanics apply gear oil to the chain and let it soak in overnight.

That got me to thinking. Why not use my old engine oil (Mobil 10w-40 Semi Synthetic) on the chain by applying it with a toothbrush and letting it soak overnight?

I'm thinking, yes, the oil is dirty, but the chain is dirty too. The particles affecting engine performance in dirty oil would not seem to suggest it would damage the o-rings in the chain.

Currently, I am using proper chain lube: Motul Chain Lubricant ($20 a can). But has anyone thought about this approach, too, of using old engine oil as a chain lube?

Sounds unthinkable, I know. But think about it again, and it leaves a question.

My thoughts are to apply the engine oil to the chain on a weekly basis. For now though, I am still using Motul until I consult with my fellow riders here on their thoughts.

Thanks,
SteelHead

ive used lucas oil treatment. works pretty well
smile.gif

Use that old oil?
They this - Soak you chain overnight or all week. Let your bike sit for a day and just watch the oil run off. Stuff is just to dang thin. Stick with the chain lube, notice how it gels up overnight.

I've been using Diesel fuel to clean and lube my chain as a few other members have suggested to do. So far, I've had great luck, anyhow...just another suggestion.

Racers don't get 30k miles out of their chains.

I don't even think they use o-ring chains(could be wrong), they use the lightest chains out there.

I've been using Diesel fuel to clean and lube my chain as a few other members have suggested to do. So far, I've had great luck, anyhow...just another suggestion.
I heard WD-40, but have been using keosene from Home Depot to clean, as recommeded by the manual. Then typical chain lube out of the aerosol can. I'm going on 25,000 miles with my OEM chain with about 2 notches left. Then again, 85% of the time I keep my RPM under 4500, and only a occassional 8000 if I really need to haul, and redline once in a really blue blue moon, like when I got to use the bathroom really bad.

Back