Mobil 1 Automotive Oil

OB_rohan

Registered
Sorry, but I'm a little skeptical about using that 0w30. I'm pretty sure that it does have friction modifiers added (doesn't it have an 'energy saving' logo?). Yes, you probably do develop a litte more horsepower. Qualifying engines for NASCAR and other types of racing often use ultra light weight oils just for this reason. However, for the race itself, heavier oils are used for reliability and longevity.

Your clutch may not be slipping because the plates are still saturated with the old oil. However it will gradually be replaced with the new goo, and then I think (don't know for sure since I don't know of anyone using this ultra light weight stuff) you might start seeing some clutch slippage.

I'm doubtful the 0w30, even Mobil 1, has adequate film strength to protect your motor internals at full chat.

Keep us posted. You could be on to something new.

Or not. :)

rw

Mobil's tech guys told me that the company had been recommending Mobil 1 auto formula in bikes for years and then the marketing group saw a great opportunity to introduce bike-specific products (at considerable price premiums. They told me that the mobil 2 stroke product is a totally different formula but the others are the same as the auto version except that the friction modifiers have been removed to avoid the possibility of slippage problems in the wet clutch application.
I decided to try the new Mobil 1 "tri-synthetic" 0W/30W auto product in my TL1000R and I loved it. Never a clutch slip, instantaneous cold starts and it seemed to deliver more power at higher rpms.
Try it you'll like it!

Rohan, you're right, the 0W/30W does have friction modifiers. But I never noticed any clutch slip problems and I used it for a while in my TL1000R through many changes. The Bel-ray techs told me that they have a 0W/40W special formula that they supply to super sport race teams.
The TL's gone now, and a beautiful 2000 red/grey Bus holds its parking space. Once I get done with the break-in I'll be feeding it the 0W/30W. I'll keep you posted.

Back