Do you need the front fender mudflap???.......

Mythos

Registered
....or is it just there to look cool?

I took mine off but have not ridden without it.

The thing weighs a quarter pound.

mudflap.jpg

People remove it, but it is most definitely not there for looks it helps to protect a very fragile radiator that could be punctured very easily by debris like pebbles and stuff picked up or deflected by the front tire as your riding. My friend lost his Radiator on a road trip on his M109 so I know it can happen, that little weight savings only matters to racers where and when tenths of a second count.

hummmmm--yeah. Figured. The oil cooler is even more vulnerable but it has that steel mesh guard on it. Oh well the mud/rock flap is easy to put back on.

After 7K miles, I noticed a number of bent fin areas when removing my rad last month. That was 7K with the flap on... think I'll chance it and check the bent fin situation in a few thousand miles.

Thanks, 1166.

We run without them because the tire rubbed at high speeds, but if you take it off you need to secure the brake lines against your fender or it is possible the line will go under the rear of your fender and get caught above the tire and that = bad news.

People remove it, but it is most definitely not there for looks it helps to protect a very fragile radiator that could be punctured very easily by debris like pebbles and stuff picked up or deflected by the front tire as your riding. My friend lost his Radiator on a road trip on his M109 so I know it can happen, that little weight savings only matters to racers where and when tenths of a second count.

What he said.

Wow a 1/4 pound of weight? Bro just go to the bathroom and take a :moon: before you get on your busa :whistle:

Bro just go to the bathroom and take a :moon: before you get on your busa :whistle:

That's about 1-2 lbs per visit (on average) for me :whistle: and sometimes I go more than once per day :laugh: ......FIBER: an old man's best friend :cheerleader:

Thanks all, for input. Yeah, I guess a little flap that weighs .25 lb was built for strength so perhaps this was something Suzi thought out pretty carefully.

We run without them because the tire rubbed at high speeds, but if you take it off you need to secure the brake lines against your fender or it is possible the line will go under the rear of your fender and get caught above the tire and that = bad news.

Holy crap, outlaw!!! Thank you for the heads up. I will check on that . Just got done installing Galfer SS brakelines...have to check to see if they are at risk of getting sucked up under there. That would really SUCK!!

Well saw my legs off and call me shorty,i've had my Gen II for almost a year and never even knew there was a mud flap tucked up under there until right now.:laugh:

How about just putting it back on and forgetting about it. You wont notice a difference. Sheesh.
Yes, that is true. After shedding over 30 lbs with the exhaust change, the other weight loss mods won't seem to noticeable (except perhaps some very light wheels). However, I have removed a lot more than just the rock guard and it all ads up. The busa spare parts is starting to grow. I will do a bits and pieces thread soon.

Why fiddle-faddle with the lower guard. Toss that stock.
Go for the GSXR fender. Love the look. Was iffy at first, but once I got it custom painted to match and installed - yowsa. Much, much smaller. Changes the whole look of the Busa.

Suzuki Hayabusa, Suzuki GSXR | Front Fenders | ABS Plastics

7941464944_71004bcde8_b.jpg

And then add the Cox Radiator Guards to solve the aforementioned radiator issue.

Buy Now: Cox Racing | Radiator & Oil Cooler Guard Set | 08+ Suzuki Hayabusa | Pashnit Moto

7506164750_815c470799_b.jpg

7506164900_f188e74fe1_b.jpg

Say Salt! All caught in the Cox Radiator Guards. Like cake batter.

7998049978_12e261093d_b.jpg

Here's a picture of the mud flap after a few top end runs. There was some disbelief on a thread a while back when I stated the stock size front tire will "grow" and rub at 200mph. Here's the flap removed from the bike. I also had a fear the tire might get into the bolt and scar.

The stock size tire will also rub inside the fender a bit causing drag.

Of course the amount of growth might be determined by the type/brand/compound of tire run and amount of air in the tire.

tire rub 1.jpg

tire rub 2.jpg

Back