A little fender re work

lil charlie

Registered
So I have been without a front fender for a little while so I played with mine a bit. I messed mine up when I laid the bike over a while back and I never did find one I just couldn’t live without when I put her back together, so I left it off while I was deciding. From day one I have not liked how big the front fender of the Busa was so I got excited when I started seeing threads about people who we using the gsxr 1000 direct bolt up fender. Then I saw one from a side profile and didn’t like how small it was. Top that off with the fact that I really want a carbon fiber front fender and now I really can’t find the size I want. So, I decided until I find the perfect fender I would cut mine up. I sanded the scratches out of the plastic and cut straight across the tip of the fender 3’’. Then I took the cut off piece and placed it on top of the fender so I could trace out the rounded front of the nose. I cut the factory curve back into my shortened fender, and then removed some of the bulky sides. After that it was sand her back up, clean up the edges, and rattle can her with some gloss black. The fender is surrounded by orange so you don’t even notice that the gloss black is not the same and the gloss black with blue flake. It’s not perfect but at least it’s a shape I like and will hold me over until I can find the perfect carbon fiber one. Like a bone head I forgot to take before pics so both of these are after I cut her up.

2011-08-04_13-44-15_266.jpg

2011-08-04_13-44-23_968.jpg

thanks guys. My wife said "it looks just like it did before, only shorter" I said, "then it worked, thats what I was getting after". She thought I was going to cut a design in it or something.

What a nice job. Looks like the perfect size. Now, if I only had the balls to cut mine up!!!

I have always wanted to cut my stuff but i too didn't have the stones to do it. I was even scared to do this one and was already scratched up. Im happy with it, it's not perfect but it will do until i find my carbon one.

like it a lot. Perfect combination btwn the gsxr fender and the busa fender. Gsxr fender looks a bit small, busa fender is a bit large, i think this looks great!!

u did that with a dremel? Interesting. I have a few layin around the house and numerous cutoff wheels:whistle:

I didn't use a cut off wheel...I used a tile bit. It looks like a drill bit but is designed to cut ceramic tile. I drew a line on the fender and used the tile bit to get close to my line, then a sanding bit to get it the rest of the way. I then used a fine sand paper and smoothed it all by hand. Some wet sanding and then paint. The whole thing only took 30 mins. The fender was already off so that saved some time. I let the paint dry for a few hours under my heat lamp then another 10 mins putting it back on.

I picked the tile bit so I could have more control with making the curve. I was afraid the cut off wheel would be too choppy in the curves.

Back