Do you know where your keys are?

HT_USMC

Registered
Click for Story

Charging a 10 year old girl for taking an SUV for a joy ride. What are we coming to?!

Parents/Granparents should have been watching where she and the other children were.

Either:

A. 10yo girl hopped in the SUV with the other two kiddos on board after taking the keys and took off.

B. Loaded the SUV with the other two kiddos after taking the keys and took off.

Either way, the grown people are responsible for the damages. Charging a 10yo with so many things is assinine!

That is a strange list of charges against a child...I too believe the guardian should be held responsible for NOT watching the child...pretty pathetic, but at least no one was seriously injured
sad.gif

I agree, but no mention of getting with the guardian and smacking him/her around some for not paying attention...
laugh.gif

I agree, but no mention of getting with the guardian and smacking him/her around some for not paying attention...
laugh.gif
I was going to say something about that.. and I agree that yes, the guardian should have been paying attention to the children. But the girl took the van. She obviously knew what she was doing. She should be held accountable.

If she were mine, I'd ask to leave her in lock-up for a night. She's starting down the wrong path, needs a good scare.

Agreed...agreed...I guess I'm just imagining most of the kids I know doing something similar, not realizing just how dangerous it could be...I don't trust my kids with the golf cart
laugh.gif
I'm constantly fussing at Mike for leaving the key in the cart because they're always in there playing around...it's just a matter of time before I see that they've embedded the cart in a tree or a car
laugh.gif
Thank goodness most of our vehicles require the clutch being pushed in as they turn the key...legs are too short to do it just yet
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

I'm just glad no one was seriously injured. Imagine an Org member posting that they were struck by an SUV being driven by a 10 year old and that theri bike was totaled and they were in the hospital. Not sure about all of the charges but they should try her for her actions. As for the guardian, this could happen to anyone with children. My nephews never stole the car but have done some crazy things and my brother and sister in law are all over their children from sun up to sun down. Hope parenting doesn't come down to parents having to lock all personal items, valuables, and keys to the car in their bedroom in order to maintain a stable home while safeguarding their children from themselves. When do children get held accountable for their actions like we were in our day. I found grandpas gun but didn't have the nerve to touch it. I could have taken moms car but I knew that if I did I would be killed, literally. Hell, I rode around in the car with only moms arm as a seat belt and survived several car accidents without a scratch. I think we need to quit babying children today and teach them responsibility as well as consequences for their actions. Parents need to quit trying to be friends with their kids and try just being parents...

Just my .02 for the day, I feel better, gotta get the chores done now or the boss will beat me, still being controlled by a woman. Used to call her mom and now I call her my wife...LOL...

Let me just vent for a second, as the father of an eleven year old, a nine year old and a six year old. They are the greatest kiddos I've ever seen and I'm proud to call them my own. The boys constantly get compliments on their behavior, their manners, their patience, and their ability to follow instructions. If we go more than a week without someone complimenting them I'm shocked.

With that said, if my 11yo took a vehicle and tried to drive around town, sure I'd want him to understand the extreme seriousness of his actions and possibly leave him in police custody a little longer than is necessary. However, charging him with ANYTHING is rediculous! That's not how you give a child a fair shake at life and learning from mistakes, in my opinion. I've obviously failed him as a parent and it's not only as much my responsiblity as it is his, it's my failure in kind. The law should be jumping up and down and I, his guardian, his father, his parent, should bear the brunt of his actions on some level. Fine me, sue me, make me pay for repairs... absolutely. Him, he's 11yo and no one was injured thankfully. Get real.

The first question that would come into my mind is, what was he running from? Is my ex-wife not treating him right at home, so he wanted to run away? Kiddo's that young don't just come up with a plan of action and act on it without a "good" reason or a horrible upbringing.

Add to this particular story... if the child loaded her siblings up, where were the grandparents? They obviously weren't watching ANY of the children. That's neglegent at best. If the kids were already in the car, did they also leave the keys and in an attempt to keep from getting into trouble report the keys "stolen"? And why were the kids left in the car without supervision?

I don't think it's a matter of locking things up but we as parents and granparents (or any family member) cannot have multiple failures like this and then hold the child responsible for OUR failure. What we're teaching a child is, "I can fail you a few times in a short time frame and when you do something wrong, its you and only you who's getting in trouble". Back in the day, a parent would apologize and offer to pay for anything broken. Then they would come up with some way of taking it out of your hide. For a long time. With lots of pain. Sweating you every chance they got. Making you also work off any debt. Did I mention pain? Yeah lots of it.

I don't know, it just seems wrong to charge her with anything too serious and multiple charges is just flat not the right way to handle it, given there was no malicious intent.

Next thing you'll see with this story is that the 'guardian' sued the maker of the vehicle stolen by the 10-yr old because they didn't make it "10-yr old proof"
laugh.gif
Ahhhh, the American way...

I agree with you HT...I watch my kids like hawks even though they are great kids...curiosity will get 'em in trouble no matter what I do to stave it, so it's best for me to WATCH what they do, make their environment safe...no point in having 'em find out knives are really sharp by cutting themselves on 'em...I fully expect that the first time they figure out how to start one of our cars, they'll try it...it's MY job to keep the keys from 'em and know where they are/what they're doing...

Kidnapping charge on a 10-yr old?! Unreal...

Back