do you dangle your legs

see? I KNEW all that Algebra would have a place in normal life someday!

(BA BUSA @ May 10 2007,08:32) I doubt that you have ever been to the "Rock Store"
rock.gif
it's hard to tell from the vid, but there isn't any level ground up there and some loose gravel in that parking lot.
would love to go! too far for me to ride this year.

good point about the gravel, though. maybe that is the norm for that location and parking lot. as much as I try to avoid gravel, I will admit I would drop my legs down - when needed - while maneuvering around in that.

still, I see a lot of weekend posers doin the dangle where they needn't

I can't do that, I live in NY someone will take my legs clean off if I tried!

I ride and balance the bike until a complete stop and put my left foot down, as soon as I am ready to to go i put my fott on the peg, let off the clutch and away i go. Sometimes in heavy traffic I will rest the front of my left shin on the back side of the peg and move forward a couple feet and then slide my foot back down. But no dangling feet here.

Funny how I was thinking about this the other day. You have a bike and you ride it a lot - almost everyday. You have a bike that you ride only on weekends, or special times.
I think you can safely say that the guy who rides everyday for one year will have more general experience than a guy who rides on weekends for 10 or 15 years. And I don't think days spent in the saddle are one to one either. You will develope stronger skills by sitting in the seat everyday than you will by going once a week. Repition, constant exposure; these are the things that best develope skill.
That's just my opinion and I'm not knocking anyone who doesn't put 15k/yr on their bike. For sure not attempting to claim myself as a better rider than anyone else either.
I'm just saying, that's all.  
beerchug.gif

Pull up to a stop sign and stop,then go.Feet never leave the pegs,busa or my cruiser.As long as it's clear.

I also don't put any feet down for most stop signs.
Stop lights I never dangle on approach.
When a light changes, I often slide my right foot for 10 feet or
so on acceleration. (Because its fun, not to balance)
(Insert additional disclaimers here)

I only dangle a leg when I'm racing Rossi and approaching a tight left-hander- that's just because I want to look like him.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

(Spike @ May 10 2007,09:27)
(Revvv @ May 10 2007,08:47) If I launch at the strip my legs dangle  
firedevil.gif
There is a big difference there.  

If it takes 1 second to put your feet on the pegs in casual riding that is only a foot or so.  

1 second on the track?  If you run a 10 second quarter mile (har-har) and takes you 1 second to put your feet up then you have already gone roughly 132 feet.

(5280/10) / 4) = 132 feet

This is not accurate, it will be a little less as your speed increases down the length of the track but you get the point.

Sorry, saw a chance to interject a math equation and had to jump on it.  
ices_rofl.gif
Actually, you can cut out the 5280 and just divide 1320 by 10

S= D/T
Speed = Distance Over Time

(Kweave @ May 10 2007,16:38)
(Spike @ May 10 2007,09:27)
(Revvv @ May 10 2007,08:47) If I launch at the strip my legs dangle
firedevil.gif
There is a big difference there.

If it takes 1 second to put your feet on the pegs in casual riding that is only a foot or so.

1 second on the track? If you run a 10 second quarter mile (har-har) and takes you 1 second to put your feet up then you have already gone roughly 132 feet.

(5280/10) / 4) = 132 feet

This is not accurate, it will be a little less as your speed increases down the length of the track but you get the point.

Sorry, saw a chance to interject a math equation and had to jump on it.
ices_rofl.gif

S= D/T
Speed = Distance Over Time
ices_rofl.gif

Yes I always dangle

ices_rofl.gif

ices_rofl.gif

ices_rofl.gif

I only dangle mine when I'm in a parking lot with a crowd of people that are all around me..

Just my perception, but living down here in South Florida the traffic can be extremely heavy, especially around the beaches. So to save me and my hamstrings alot of torture from constant leg curls from ground to peg,ground to peg, etc. I will leave my feet down until I can go more than 5 feet , or sometimes if I just plain feel lazy from stop light to stop light. So it is not always experience or lack there of, just personal comfort.

(BA BUSA @ May 10 2007,08:32)
(WWJD @ May 10 2007,06:37) just watched a video on Nick Slick's site about the ROCK STORE in cali.  tons of bikes.  I noticed almost all the cruiser/harley riders dangle their legs just above the ground while pulling out of the lot.

Do you guys do that?

I feel it looks very inexperienced by maybe it's something I misssed at MSF class.  Me, I usually balance my ride until it's completly stopped.  Any moving and feet are on pegs.  Even 5mph tight crusie through local bike night, feet on peg.

Even Jay Leno was doing it

http://nickslick.com/FREE_Movies/HDTV/hdtv.html
JD

I doubt that you have ever been to the "Rock Store"
rock.gif
it's hard to tell from the vid, but there isn't any level ground up there and some loose gravel in that parking lot.
BA, thanks for your observation. I watched the video and I saw sport bike riders doing the 'duck walk' as often as the HD/Cruiser riders. I have been to the Rock Store many times (worked right in Calabasas on Malibu Hills Rd.) and at slow speeds with the uneven and unimproved surfaces you have to be prepared to prevent a tip over. Doesn't matter what you ride.

Dude, I see people draggin their feet, and I'm like wtf?
"Pick your crap up man!"

See, my feet go up like dat. You can hear my boots cutting wind. 'woosh - woosh"

Oh yes and my favorite places to eat up there are Agoura's Famous Delicatessen on Kanan Road in Agoura and La Paz on Las Virgines in Calabasas. I must mention for the Sage Brush Cantina, now there is a place you may want to dangle your legs for balance when leaving!
all_coholic.gif

S= D/T
Speed = Distance Over Time[/Quote]

Ok, so how did you get 1320?

1 mile / 4 or 5280 / 4

A mile is a standard unit of measurement, a 1/4 mile is known by dividing a mile by 4 and is only derived by it's base, 1 mile.

;)

Gotta show yer work son.
beerchug.gif

on a similar note-- I made an observation of several women and thier cruisers-- going out of a pkg lot-- they will literally "walk" the bike to the streets edge. I guess I shouldn't laugh-- I was an inexperienced rider once(but I never walked the bike)-- it just CRACKS me UP!!!!

If I'm stopping at a stop sign and then going, I keep my feet up. If I'm going to need them again soon (heavy traffic moving slower than 5 mph, lots of pedestrians around, etc...) than I let them hang out.

Back