Defeated by the Fairing tonight..sad..

Shindo97

Registered
first off..im not gentle..im a strong guy and so i dont pay attention to how hard i push an pull on things...

Trying to put on my Yosh R77 Full sys so i can be a pic wh0re for you guys...hahah.

So i have all the accounted for bolts and push pins off..exactly as directed in the power point made by one of the guys on here..

the dang fairing is HANGING off the side of the bike but for some reason i cannot finess it off....the fairing seems to be LOCKED in place with the nose fairing...I cannot imagine having to go through this for oil changes...

im worried i will accidentally break pieces of the fairing and the way it snaps together...my main concern is putting it back together and not having gaps..it fit so perfectly together when i bought it, and i dont want to ruin that.

What is the technique to getting the side fairing off without messing things up? Does it come up and slide forward toward the nose fairing??

anyone??
sad.gif

Even after you have remove all of the bolts and plastic fasteners it is still attached by a couple of rubber frame gromets. I was scared I would break it as well but you just have to keep tugging until it comes free from the frame...good luck, be patient.

...its just stuck together magically...
I hate Magic.

Some one should make a video.
I have to take mine off this weekend to replace the front sprocket, and I'm going to change the oile filter at the same time.
May as well. install my HID too.
I'll see if I can get a camera operator, to document the whole event.
laugh.gif

How many grommets did you unplug? There are three. Two side mounted ones and a top mounted one. The most forward one gave me a problem until I found it.
Its in the top corner of the cowling near where the nose piece meets. The grommet is actually in the ram air snorkel if that helps. First times tough even with the help here. Patience here is vital. I took a pic of that most forward grommet if that's the culprit.

the dang fairing is HANGING off the side of the bike but for some reason i cannot finess it off....the fairing seems to be LOCKED in place with the nose fairing...
Breathe deep, my brutha... I got your back!

You are most likely hung up on the *top-most*, *forward-most* large rubber grommet (Grommet 'B' in photo below), as well as the multiple tabs/slots that affix the leading edge of the outer cowling to the triangular-shaped black inner cowling.

Until you see and understand how this last big rubber grommet retains its attending nylon pin on the side cowling, yes, it can be an infernal BIOTCH to remove. Until this is separated, your are hosed.

So lets go over the critical stuff:

1) Ensure the other large rubber grommets are free of their attending nylon pins. This is shown in the Owners Manual pretty lamely, I'll admit.

2) Remember, when freeing the *top-most*, *rear-most* rubber grommet (Grommet 'A' below, the one closest to the fuel tank), you gently reef the black trim piece STRAIGHT UPWARD, not "outward" as you do for the other grommets. The other three, those you pull straight *outboard* (perpendicular to the frame of the bike.)

3) Ensure the cowling halves at completely separated at the bottom chin area. This is critically important, because you can not "flex" the leading edge pieces properly to free the multiple tabs/slots up there unless the chin pieces are *completely* free of one another.

4) Now start at the bottom chin area, and separate the cowling from the smaller inner black triangular piece, working upwards toward the top.

5) Now for the last part: once everything is totally free, you slide the big cowling piece *rearward* and slightly *downward* to free it completely from the bike.

Work slow, work methodically.... don't force $hit, because that's in indicator something is still not un-made/un-hook/what-have-you.

And breathe while doing all this. Easier said than done... believe me, I know.

CowlGrommets.jpg

why in the world would suzuki make this procedure such a bear, dont they know that people do change there oil and filter.

Here is another pic of that most forward grommet that gave me trouble. Here I am pointing to it with a long screw driver.
IMG_1536.sized.jpg

Hope this helps

You guys freaking Rock...i will try again and pretend that i am holding a baby jesus..maybe that will help me with finess...

so ghay..i can bench 400lbs and yet...this stupid damn fairing...ok its not stupid..its beautiful..and i love it....

hahah

ok thanks guys..

LOL...

The fairings kicked my azz too man
banghead.gif
... I installed my own exhaust system, and the hardest two things were the R&R of the fairings, and removing the stock header... The aftermarket exhaust went in like it had eyes...
thumb_up.gif

...its just stuck together magically...
I hate Magic.

Some one should make a video.
I have to take mine off this weekend to replace the front sprocket, and I'm going to change the oile filter at the same time.
May as well. install my HID too.
I'll see if I can get a camera operator, to document the whole event.
laugh.gif
I just got an education on the front sprocket yesterday. I bought a new 17T sprocket from my dealer only to find the shaft is to large for the sprocket. Suzuki says they do not have a sprocket available for the 08 other than the 18T OEM. I could not find any aftermarket front sprockets available either. So, before you remove your OEM sprocket, be sure you have a replacment with a 27mm hole instead of the 25mm that fits the old generation.

However, you can change the rear sprocket. The rear sprocket is identical to the GSXR1000. I actually had a 45T sprocket for my Gixxer which is now on my busa. Lucked out!

im glad that all of u have had problems..now i dont feel like a tool...
guns.gif
first time took 2 hours.second time 30 minutes third time 25 minutes.ok i got this b#$%h down.so my friend buys him an orange/black wants some help to get fairings off.ok go help him and F%$# takes me a friggin hour to get his fairing off.talk about feeling like a tool.
sadnews.gif
gets easier the more you have them off.

im glad that all of u have had problems..now i dont feel like a tool...
guns.gif
first time took 2 hours.second time 30 minutes third time 25 minutes.ok i got this b#$%h down.so my friend buys him an orange/black wants some help to get fairings off.ok go help him and F%$# takes me a friggin hour to get his fairing off.talk about feeling like a tool.
sadnews.gif
 gets easier the more you have them off.
laugh.gif

Great story !!!
beerchug.gif
You probably told him it was cake to remove them before you got got started too huh
rock.gif
laugh.gif

It never fails. If I tell a friend it is no sweat, done it a hundred times, it will no doubt end up kicking my azz !!!

laugh.gif

Back