Custom SpeedoHealer installed

Juggler

Techie Answer Guy
Donating Member
Registered
OK, I finally got the custom V2 SpeedoHealer installed, and the following are some pics.

Here's the first pic.  It's mounted under the hump right next to the ATRE.  Sorry it's blurry, but you can see that the size of the unit is a little bigger than a box of matches.

The red part is the dip switches, not visible in the picture is the LED (left of dips), the config/max speed button (below the dips).  The blue/red wires are the power/speedo connector (it's the same as a hard drive power connector for you geeky types out there).

SH_install1.jpg

Pic 2:
Here are the switches in the upper inner plastic.
Red is the power switch (normally closed type switch). Black is the remote max speed switch (normally open type switch).

The cabling/switches are all mine, they don't come with the unit.

SH_switches1.jpg

Pic 3:
Installed on the bike. Somewhat hidden from casual view. This means that I can reset the unit and see max speed without having to open the hump.

SH_switches_mounted.jpg

Last one:
Here I have the ignition on, and kill switch on, but the bike is not running. That's my finger pressing the black button.

Pretty cool, huh? Two things I don't care for about the custom unit:

1. The cable used for the remote switch was a very thin gauge, and it had black sheath with very fine bare copper wire around a very thin red wire. The wire was so thin, that I had to use my finger nail to strip the wire. If you're going to do a custom, ask for a two wire setup with 16 gauge on both.
I worked around it, but it was definitely the kludgy part of the install (which bugs me).

2. The remote switch cable coming out of the unit did not have any type of strain relief. I used a zip tie.

Overall, the installation took me a long time just because I'm really really picky about exposed cables, connectors, etc.

My install was definitely non-standard. My unit is hard-wired to the battery so that I can turn the bike off without losing the max speed. If you go the custom unit route, I can probably give you some pointers.

SH_working1.jpg

Thanks guys. It's a cool kind of mod.

I was thinking that if there would probably be some pretty good deman for a device that just did max speed (no speedo calibration).

Great installation and ideas! Since the busa needs the calibration, I don't think it would sell as well as a combo unit like that but, it may on others.

yeah what was the cost and what does the reset button do? Does it store the top speed until you've hit the reset button to record the next highest speed?

ps the computer style plug is called a molex connector.
wink.gif

The custom unit was $99. The reset button acts like an on/off switch. Yes, you are correct, it will store the top speed until the reset button. If you install the unit per the instructions, the power to the unit is controlled by the ignition switch.

I haven't measured it, but amp draw is very very low.

Nice way to catch the service guy doing a little more than just repair work.

This is a very cool mod!
thumbs-up.gif

I am sure I could look it up, but which wire specifically did you tap into for the trip LCD?.. if you have a pic of that harness it'd be great!

My install was definitely non-standard.  My unit is hard-wired to the battery so that I can turn the bike off without losing the max speed.  If you go the custom unit route, I can probably give you some pointers.
#10 on the says that the values are stored in a FLASH memory.. so I guess you don't really need to attach it directly to the battery.

:edit: Oops, that's just for configuration.. not for top speed, sorry, it won't let me delete my own post.
sad.gif

<!--EDIT|InsertOriginalNameHere
Reason for Edit: None given...|1087309554 -->

This is a very cool mod!
thumbs-up.gif

I am sure I could look it up, but which wire specifically did you tap into for the trip LCD?.. if you have a pic of that harness it'd be great!
I didn't touch the trip LCD at all. All of the connections were made within a foot of the speedo sensor. The pics that I have wouldn't do you much good as I've got heat shrink tubing on all of the connections along with split loom. I'm pretty sure the odometer uses the speedometer "pulse" that the SH modifies to correct for speedo error, gearing, etc.

What I don't understand is why the odometer and the speedo are not off by the same amount. The device lets you correct for either one (not both). My preference is speed.

It's an easy install though. I tend to get bogged down in the wire routing and such since I'm anal about stuff like that.

Response to the max speed thing has been pretty cool. I haven't shown my wife. She'd get pretty pissed if she knew I was doing 140.

I highly recommend the product!

I just ordered one of these custom units because they came out with the plug and play version so no connections other than your switch set-up have to be made. I like the idea of not cutting whenever possible. Will definitely do a couple of buttons like you did, but probably not right in the plastics. Somewhere easily accessible but out of sight. I like the dealer checker idea.
thumbs-up.gif

I just ordered one of these custom units because they came out with the plug and play version so no connections other than your switch set-up have to be made. I like the idea of not cutting whenever possible. Will definitely do a couple of buttons like you did, but probably not right in the plastics. Somewhere easily accessible but out of sight. I like the dealer checker idea.
thumbs-up.gif
I just checked out their site again. So you're saying, that since it lists our bike under Suzuki, it'll be completely harness plug & play?

Hmm, I think it'd still require a splice to not lose the top speed all the time, what do you think about that?

thumbs-up.gif
I just checked out their site again.  So you're saying, that since it lists our bike under Suzuki, it'll be completely harness plug & play?

Hmm, I think it'd still require a splice to not lose the top speed all the time, what do you think about that?
I agree with justintime2. If it's truly plug and play, then the power will be provided by the ignition circuit. So if you turn off your ignition, you just lost your max speed.

That's easily corrected though by just wiring the power directly to the battery.

Good luck!

thumbs-up.gif
I just checked out their site again.  So you're saying, that since it lists our bike under Suzuki, it'll be completely harness plug & play?

I assume when you say "not lose the top speed all the time" you are refering to the 186mph restriction that the SH will fix on some models. The speedohealer has nothing to do with the top speed restrictor on the Busa. It will only correct the speedo pkg values. The speed limiter on the Busa is controled by the ECU and the gear position sensor. When it see's it in 6th gear it simply lowers the RPM redline to accomplish the speed restriction.

Even with the plug-n-play you can still wire it constant for the on demand reset. You can make the changes to the SH healers harness though instead of your bikes!
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091122565 -->

Back