Track Day Electronics GPD w/ ATRE (Picture Heavy)

SoCal Blur

Registered
I have a Gen1 Busa (2000) and have been considering purchasing a Gear Position Display w/ATRE. I thought about building one from scratch but after much consideration, purchasing a GPD was the way I decided to go.

I looked at GiPro w/Atre from healtech. I already have a Speedohealer from them so I know the quality of their products. However, the $162 price tag seemed a bit steep to me. I continued to research GPDs and stumbled upon Track Day Electronics (TDE). They offer a GPD w/ATRE for $93.00 plus shipping ($83.00 if you accept a blemished display). After reading the reviews and communicating with Darrin, the guy who builds them and owns the company, I decided to purchase the GPD w/ATRE from TDE. By the way, I did purchase a blemished display and, unless you're looking at it an inch from your face, you can't even see the blemish which is just a little clear epoxy.

Here is what you get for your $93.00:

• Manual control of 5 steps of brightness : Adjust the brightness to your liking
  • Upside Down Display : Allows for multiple mounting options
  • Street or Race Shift Speed : Allows for a greater delay to avoid any "False Neutrals" for those who shift slower than others
  • GT (GearTracker) Technology : Our software "tracks" the gear and does a double-check before changing the gear number for greater
    accuracy
  • "n" is for NEUTRAL : The ability to choose "n" as your NEUTRAL character instead of "0" (zero)
  • Circling Zero : A fading tracer, circling zero is another NEUTRAL option instead of "n" or the default static "0" (zero)
  • A custom programming application and the ability to switch between Stock and Custom Mapping Thresholds (Custom mapping should not
    be required unless the motorcycle has some small voltage issue)
  • Reset : This option will RESET the options to the Default setting. You will NOT lose your Custom Mapping Program data by doing a reset;
    however, the program will choose the "stock thresholds" when restarted. You can easily choose your "custom thresholds" by selecting
    Option "C" (NOTE: Reset Option is not available on some versions.)
  • Automatic "Smart" Timing Retard Eliminator (ATRE) that uses the bikes 5th gear ignition mapping on all gears to remove the timing retard
    on gears 1 - 4 and also raises RPM limiter to 4th/5th Gear Limiter depending on model. It does not remap Neutral so no issues with idle or
    cold starting.

About the only thing that you don't get is a way to easily bypass the ATRE which is something that the GiPro does offer. However, bypassing is as simple as raising the tank and unplugging the device from the Gear Position Sensor connector.

After agreeing to purchase one, Darrin sent me a paypal invoice and two shipping days later, I had the device in my hand. The package comes with everything you need to install it, including plastic ties and adhesive mounts for the plastic ties. It also comes with adhesive backed velcro to mount the display and the Smartbox which houses all of the electronics. By the way, the display plugs into the Smartbox using a cat5 cable. This allows for custom lengths. Just tell Darrin which Suzuki model you have so he knows how long your cable needs to be and what size fuse to use.

Fuse? Yes, there is a red cable that is connected to a fuse that replaces the signal fuse in your bike's fuse box. This way, the GDP is only on when the ignition switch is on - no current draw on the battery when the bike is off compared to the GiPro that is connected directly to the battery and draws a little over 3ma when the bike is off. You can chose to splice the GiPro's power wire into your tail light wiring to cause it to be powered only when the bike is on.

Installing the TDE's unit takes about a half hour. I spent more time deciding where I was going to mount the Display and the Smartbox than I did actually routing the wires and installing it.

Installation:

I began by disconnecting the battery:

batt.jpg

Next I raised the tank and began routing the wires under the tank from the Smartbox, that would end up being mounted under the driver's seat.

While I was under the tank, I disconnected the Gear Position Connector and plugged connectors from the TDE device into those connectors. The connectors on the TDE device are OEM type connectors and use the same wire color code so that it's easy to identify the Gear Position Connector. The connector is located under the left side of the tank hear the rear hinge. Unfortunately, I neglected to take a picture of it, but you can get a good idea of what it looks like from the TDE instructions: • View topic - Gear Position Display :: Basic Installation (Photos)

After making the connection, I opened up the top left fairing and removed the panel to expose the Fuse box and also where I was going to route the display and power wire:

lfairing.jpg

Next, I opened the fusebox and removed the 15Amp Signal fuse. (This is the only fuse that is controlled by the ignition switch) and replaced it with the 15Amp fuse connected to the red power wire via a fuse tap:

fuse1.jpg

fuse2.jpg

fuse3.jpg

Once that was complete, I mounted the display on the gauge cluster with the provided adhesive velcro, routed that cable through the left side past the fuse box, closed the left fairing panel, and continued routing back under the tank and to the driver's seat compartment. I should mention that I used the provided plastic ties to route the wires safely.

dash3.jpg

Once back at the driver's seat I plugged the Cat5 cable from the display into the Smartbox and then used the provided adhesive velcro to mount the smartbox to the rear of the driver's seat compartment.

Sbox1.jpg

Sbox2.jpg

Finally I reconnected the battery, turned on the ignition switch, and used the remote button to program my preferences. The only thing I changed was the default "0" for neutral to the fading tracer, circling zero. Then, rather than mounting the remote button, I just coiled it up and stored it in the trunk.

remote.jpg

I have to tell you that the build quality on this device is excellent. The customer service and communication is also excellent. Having now experienced Track Day Electronics' GPD w/ATRE, I would find it difficult to justify spending $70+ more on the GiPro product.

If you're looking to add a GPD w/ATRE (or without ATRE - Darrin can make those too) give Track Day Electronics a look. You won't be disappointed.

Here's a quick video of the display doing the fading tracer, circling zero thing. The bike was up on a stand and I just stumbled through a couple of gears while holding in the clutch just to see it change. I promise my gear changing while riding is much smoother :laugh:

[video=youtube_share;qYh8caT5Cu4]http://youtu.be/qYh8caT5Cu4[/video]

Cheers!

UPDATE: I took the bike to work today and the GPD worked flawlessly. It is easily visible in bright sunlight and it accurately displayed the gear it was in with no false neutrals. Also, the addition of the ATRE was very noticeable in the first four gears. The throttle response was quick and smooth and there was clearly more bottom end torque.

I'm glad I found this thread while searching for an indicator. I was leaning toward the GI Pro but I will definitely go with the more cost effective option. I do have one question. My bike is a 2000 with a 1363 kit and a 1st gen power commander (was on the bike when I bought it and bike runs amazing so I don't want to mess with a good thing). Will adding this ATRE affect those electronics in any sort of way or is it truly plug and play and reap the benefits?

I'm glad I found this thread while searching for an indicator. I was leaning toward the GI Pro but I will definitely go with the more cost effective option. I do have one question. My bike is a 2000 with a 1363 kit and a 1st gen power commander (was on the bike when I bought it and bike runs amazing so I don't want to mess with a good thing). Will adding this ATRE affect those electronics in any sort of way or is it truly plug and play and reap the benefits?

Great post..thanks. I have the same concern as above...2001 1397 with PC3USB. Any idea if there is a potential conflict anywhere?

I'm thinking that the ATRE doesn't matter for my bike because I have the unrestricted model anyway so I wouldn't need the features that it offers. So, with the Track Day electronics kit I wouldn't even need to plug it in. I would just be using the gear indicator feature.

The ATRE doesn't just unrestrict the bike but it also removes the timing retard from the lower gears. TDE also sells a version without the ATRE and it costs even less. I currently have both. I used the one with the ATRE until I upgraded to a 32bit system and edited my ECU. At that point, the ATRE was no longer necessary so I swapped it out to the one without the ATRE.

Thanks for all of the info SoCal!!! Just purchased mine. Darrin is great to work with and responds very quickly. I should get my indicator at about the same time that my gauges get back this week from bluegauges.com.

Great! Darrin is very responsive and will help you if you have any issues with the install (and you shouldn't because it is very straight forward). Be sure to post up a pic once you've got it installed.

My gear indicator came in and it's better than advertised but I have one issue. All of the gear changes show accurately and immediately but neutral is showing as a 6. I contacted Darrin at Track Day Electronics and he suggested that I clean the contacts on the gear position switch. I have looked at the service manual and it doesn't mention anything about removal of this switch, just that it is linked to Malfunction Code C31. I'm sure this is the wire that is plugged into to get the indicator to work but I am not clear on how to remove it to so that I can wet sand the contacts. If anyone could tell me what would be the best way to remove this switch I'd greatly appreciate it.

Back