*Crap* Rear'd' nailed

RedFalco

Donating Member
Registered
Hello all.
After two tickets at the beginning of this season totaling in at 520.00, I've come to learn a nail is embedded in my "somewhat" new Avon Storm rear. (less than 1k miles) Reading up on this topic I've come to learn that the tire will need to be dismounted and patched from the inside professionally. The nail is directly in the center of the tire.
Is it really true that after the dealer / motorcycle shop repairs the tire (if they choose to do so), one cannot exceed speeds of 75mph? I read this and just about fell out. 75mph on a Busa???<<Get real. Am I gonna have to eat another 2hun-ski for a new tire if I wanna ride her again aggressively? I'm thinking this is a sign to keep my @zz under 75mph for the next 6k miles. :laugh:
Yeah right... and thats like asking my dog not to crap on the lawn and to keep my nitrous bottle dry for the next year.
Opinions?...
Preciate ya'll.

Keeping it under 75, you might save 520 clams to pay for the 200 buck tire. :whistle:
I'm just saying.

I know what you mean bro, if I do 75 in LA, I better be towing a ramp!

lol... I hear ya. So this is true then.

crap.JPG

??due??? Ya think? Man... Gotta lay off the bottle; just got these tires last year. Ran about 9 or so bottles on em.

I'm uncertain of the cost to patch. I'll be checking that out tomarrow. That is if I can find a shop to patch it. From what I've been reading, most shops won't do a patch type repair. (liabilities and such) So I may just have to eat the cost of a new rear. Wanna stay with the Avons to be matched with front.

Last edited:
dude...slow down ....tickets add up trust me...and yes...grab a new tire...dont trust patch...they say plug and patch but trim the plug on inner so patch is flush

??due??? Ya think? Man... Gotta lay off the bottle; just got these tires last year. Ran about 9 or so bottles on em.

I'm uncertain of the cost to patch. I'll be checking that out tomarrow. That is if I can find a shop to patch it. From what I've been reading, most shops won't do a patch type repair. (liabilities and such) So I may just have to eat the cost of a new rear. Wanna stay with the Avons to be matched with front.

There are "Mushroom" patches that can be placed from the inside.
But the caveat is that it needs to be directly connected to the "Right Wrist"!:laugh:

There is really no substitute for the feeling of new shoes though.

I used to patch and plug tires when I had my 600 Bandit, but would not do it now with this much bike. Just a little beyond my risk pucker factor.

I can't imagine what it would feel like to be running bottles too!

Take care and be safe,:thumbsup:
Bubba

Same happen to me and I was 75 miles away from home and my AAA just expired a few days earlier. Had to renew AAA, get the PLUS addition and recreational addition to get towed home. :cussing: After all that. I wasn't going to pay another $200 for another rear tire that only had about 2,500 miles on it. I plugged my tire.:please: It only lasted for about 500-750 miles before I noticed it loosing air pressure. It gave me enough time between paychecks to buy another.

Then ended up going to dealer to find out my front fork seals were leaking and I also needed a front tire. so I ended up spend around $750 for that trip to the dealer.

Plug won't last long. Go ahead and get the new tire. :lol:

Same happen to me and I was 75 miles away from home and my AAA just expired a few days earlier. Had to renew AAA, get the PLUS addition and recreational addition to get towed home. :cussing: After all that. I wasn't going to pay another $200 for another rear tire that only had about 2,500 miles on it. I plugged my tire.:please: It only lasted for about 500-750 miles before I noticed it loosing air pressure. It gave me enough time between paychecks to buy another.

Then ended up going to dealer to find out my front fork seals were leaking and I also needed a front tire. so I ended up spend around $750 for that trip to the dealer.

Plug won't last long. Go ahead and get the new tire. :lol:

Good advice and I suggest all who have AAA get the Plus, I paid 500 bucks to get mine 80 miles when it would have free to 100 with plus. I upgraded immediately!

Bubba

i always carry a can of fix a flat w/hose, and a plug kit. got this flat over 2500mi from home. i tell ya what, it doesn't leave a good feeling the pit of my stomach, zipping down the highway at 80+ on a plugged tire. you have a $10,000.00 bike, buy your self a couple hundred dollar tire to help that machine stick to the road. you only have the 2, might as well be 2 good tires.
:poke:plug the spare, and save it for a burnout tire.

ncom almost to orlando 067.jpg

ncom almost to orlando 068.jpg

Thanks all for the guidance... New tire it is.
Got a line on one for 151 delivered. Trying to figure out the catch...lol
Anyone deal with these guys? LINKY

Only other option is just put the nail back in and go as fast as you want till you wear out
the tire. The nail didn't come out in the first place, so I'm sure it'll stay in very nicely.
Just add a little air now and then and you are all set.!! :laugh:

I know someone who plugged a tire. Then eventually it started leaking air slowly and he was filliing it up every Sat morning. Then going 45 he wrecked with my girlfriends aunt on the back she had a little rash. He had broken ribs collar bone bad rash and was in the hospital for 3 days.. JMO, but I wouldn't rely on a patch on my motorcycle other than to just make it home or somewhere else safe.

I know someone who plugged a tire. Then eventually it started leaking air slowly and he was filliing it up every Sat morning. Then going 45 he wrecked with my girlfriends aunt on the back she had a little rash. He had broken ribs collar bone bad rash and was in the hospital for 3 days.. JMO, but I wouldn't rely on a patch on my motorcycle other than to just make it home or somewhere else safe.

+1 on that

I had just finished the redo on my Gs650L about 25 years ago. Went to replace a rivet in the front fender and drilled right into my brand new tire. I plugged it, and I never had any peace of mind knowing it was plugged. I finally bought another new one, so I would recommend that you get the new tire ordered and video tape yourself melting your old tire. The .orgsters love burnout vids. :laugh:

I don't know about anyone else, but for my aggressive style of riding....a nail like that in either tire, means a whole new piece of rubber for me. :rulez:

Used tires make wonderful tree swings! As for the vendor nothing personal in dealings, however, I usually have found my Storms at that price for the last couple of years.

Back