couple of turbo build ??

arthur39

Registered
in my expedition to build my stage one turbo, 8lbs boost was wondering a few things :whistle: help please, I;ll have the engine out for studs and spacer, so while it's out would you 1. Put a High Volume oil gear on? it is a 16g turbo 2. What kind of Clutch springs? EBC that offers 10 percent more, or Ape which might make it hard to pull in the lever? 3. IS it recommended to put in heavy duty longer shift shafts in as well? and anything else I may be missing for a basic stage one setup, thanks in advance. Happy Motoring

Why not backcut the trans gears while in there? Makes for much better shifting and many Busas get teh dreaded 2nd gear slip so you may be pulling the engine to deal with that someday.

So at 8psi on stage-1:
No need to split the cases yet.
spacer and studs...space should let you up to 10 psi ok.
could do 65lb valve springs?
THe clutch springs..I have all 6 Brocks springs in..and yes you need a MANs grip for the lever. I dont notice it anymore thought. When doing HD springs you also need a slave support bracket to ...other wise you will just push everything out the other side.

I have stage-2 on 8 psi no motor work ( not even the spacer )..made 252 HP. Im in the process of promod studs now. Still not doing the spacer yet. When you space it..you drop comp and loose 10+? HP and need to up boost to be back where you where without the spacer.
252HP is plenty for the street. Ill be hungary for more Boost soon enought though for at the track.

thanks, i'm setup for the spacer already so going to do that for sure, just was interested in the high volume oil pump, any one feel these are recommended, or is that just for big boost bikes?

THe oiler....check with who the turbo is from. Richard at RCC told me the turbo need to be set up for the higher oil psi?

yeah, thats what i though, a restrictor might be needed, it's a 16g mitsu, ill leave it alone for now unless I hear diferently, Anything on undercutting just second gear for a stage one street bike, anyone just done that with no problems? thanks

thanks, i'm setup for the spacer already so going to do that for sure, just was interested in the high volume oil pump, any one feel these are recommended, or is that just for big boost bikes?

I run a high volume gear on my bike. I'm not sure why more oil pressure would be a bad thing. I'm sure there are reasons for and against it. I do know the stock cam chain tensioner is run off of oil pressure. Some think excess pressure on the timing chain can be a bad thing. I've not had any problems with mine so far.

Since the water pump and oil pump are connected by shaft the water pump spins faster as well. Maybe increasing flow for water as well.

Turbobusa2000, that's the reason im so undecided, i do want the higher volume oil, I just don't want the little 16g turbo to smoke if I do, then try to figure out what size restrictor if any, I will need, thanks

If 2nd gear isn't undercut now, you will be pulling the motor later on for sure. Mine lasted 5 years stock. Then while rolling on the throttle hard in 2nd I felt a stutter and that was the start of my tranny problems. I have the nitrous cut now and it's so smooth , slick, and positive that it makes the old tranny feel as sloppy as a 1978 gs1000 that I use to ride in the 90s.

Here is an article I wrote about transmissions in the Hayabusa. Part 2 will be up in a couple of days. I strongly recommend installing aftermarket shift shafts. The reason is mentioned in part 2 of the article.
:: DRAGBIKE.COM :: DRAGBIKE MAGAZINE :: Repairing the Hayabusa Transmission - Part 1 ::

I run 6lbs boost and pulled 241 HP with 11.0:1 pistons and no spacer. I also run stock oil pressure and have had no issues except when I ran an ill fated oil experiment.
:: DRAGBIKE.COM :: DRAGBIKE MAGAZINE :: Hayabusa Engine Rebuild for the 2010 Race Season - Part 1 ::
:: DRAGBIKE.COM :: DRAGBIKE MAGAZINE :: Hayabusa Engine Rebuild for the 2010 race season Part 2 ::

Do everything right while you have it a part and you will not regret it.

Turbobusa2000, that's the reason im so undecided, i do want the higher volume oil, I just don't want the little 16g turbo to smoke if I do, then try to figure out what size restrictor if any, I will need, thanks

There is no restrictor required with the 16g turbo, run the high output oil pump gear, it does spin the water pump faster also . . .:rulez:

thanks, that's all i needed to hear for the oil pump gear and tranny, Powerhouse if you are reading this I'm in NJ and checked a map you're a couple of hours away so I'll probobly go to you for the tuning, I was gonna call, but maybe you can answer my question here, do you require a power commander for tuning or do you flash the ecu? Or what do you prefer it is Just a simple stage one with the new style BEGI and walbro 255 for fueling, thanks in advance Im well under way, having a hard time talking someone into welding the wastegate pipe /flange to the turbo, couple guys says they'll do it but say the housing will crack,, I see a bunch done that way and im in the same predicament, so Im gonna have to give it a go

here's a couple of pics of what i am trying to do, I steel migged the housing already, cool setting to tap a pipe into the ported wastegate hole, I now have a 1 and 1/8" hole coming out the side of the housing with an insert for a 1.5" elbow to the wastegate, I posted up a pic of someone else's finished product to give you an idea of what I am after, I only have access to mig and stick at work, so I've been trying to "farm out" tig welding a SS elbow to the cast steel? (that's what I believe it to be) it is a mitsu 20g housing, I might just try a 309 rod if I get too frustrated :laugh: anyway got pics, anyone ? opinions, feedback ?

PICT0011.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

33401_445858309413_565109413_602644.jpg

thanks, that's all i needed to hear for the oil pump gear and tranny, Powerhouse if you are reading this I'm in NJ and checked a map you're a couple of hours away so I'll probobly go to you for the tuning, I was gonna call, but maybe you can answer my question here, do you require a power commander for tuning or do you flash the ecu? Or what do you prefer it is Just a simple stage one with the new style BEGI and walbro 255 for fueling, thanks in advance Im well under way, having a hard time talking someone into welding the wastegate pipe /flange to the turbo, couple guys says they'll do it but say the housing will crack,, I see a bunch done that way and im in the same predicament, so Im gonna have to give it a go

I actually do both . . . why don't you call me directly, so we can discuss what is best for you . . .:beerchug:

The cast steel of the housing is good quality and welds easily
i have used a low hydrogen "multicraft " type stick and 316L stick previously on garrett housings and both are still holding fine many years on,
My preference would be stick before mig .

my preference is Tig above all else but yes i agree with oz if you cant get anyone to o it then id just go with the stick
but if you need i can weld at my shop if all else fails

thanks Pinky, I would prefer a tig on this one, I have a couple of things I'm hesitant to weld myself, I'd feel better having someone who has done this before tackle this weld. What's the best way to reach ya?

Tig weld while pumuping Argon back in the turbo. It will cause a clean weld on the inside of the turbo as well as the outside. If you do not pump Argon in the turbo while welding the inside will have a crusty clumpy looking weld that can come off in the turbo.

I just had this done on mine and got an education on welding from a very high end welder who does welding of stainless steel for the food industry.

Back