Couple of minor q's

Purple1300

Registered
It's getting hard to shift. I feel like I practically have to force the shifting with my foot. I don't have stock rearsets (if that makes a difference) though they've been on the bike for a few years now and it's definitely not the tranny or the clutch: clutch was replaced almost 2 years ago and tranny has 4 new gears same time frame as clutch. What do you suggest I do? Replace my rearsets, grease up/ replace some bolts...

Also, does anyone have the frame dress up kit and how does it look? I don't want to buy any if they're going to look cheap...

Do you Drag race your bike?? How many miles are on it?? Are you engaging the clutch fully before you shift??
Do you blip the throttle on upshift and downshifts to match the revs??

I found it easier to shift when I switched to synthetic and adjusted my clutch and clutch lever to where it should be. You should also make sure you are wearing appropriate boots and try a different clutch fluid.

I hate to tell you, but it's probably as a result of somehthing you are a previous owner did.

When ws the last time you replaced the clutch fluid? Also, if ou remove the left side fairing and the sproket cover, you will probably find lots of gook... I recommend you flush the clutch fluid completely and then try it before you start messing with the other stuff...

Mit-y-Vac is your friend... harbor frieght carries them for round $20 makes bleeding/replacing fluid a breeze...

I'm far from an expert,but have you tried adjusting the rod yet? Fluid ages,parts wear,things need readjusted.... Good luck hope you get it worked out!

Check your oil level.

Do the other stuff above.

You'll get it figured out!

--Wag--

Check the bolt too. A few(including me)have had the shift lever bolt back out. It may be on it's way out and binding up.

Make sure you actually have the foot lever at the right angle. When I first put on my Rizoma's, I was having a lot of mis shifts. I changed the angle of attack and never had a problem again.

The push rod sometimes starts to bind a little...

Before trying all these, make sure you chain is adjusted correctly and make sure it's not beyond its stretch limit. Gear changes can be more difficult with a badly adjusted chain.

Tony

I had my oil changed before Christmas but I don't remember doing anything with my clutch fluid recently. I just got some new boots so maybe it has something to do with that as well and I should adjust the angle. I haven't done any kind of cleaning to it but the guy who owned it before was very hard on it. That's why I had to replace some gears in the tranny!

I don't drag race "How many miles are on it?? Are you engaging the clutch fully before you shift??
Do you blip the throttle on upshift and downshifts to match the revs??"

I just hit 19K and I do fully engage the clutch but I don't know what you mean by that last question. Could you elaborate?

Best way I found my Sweet spot for adjusting the lever was to carry around a 10mm wrench and make minor adjustments as I seen fit till I got it where I wanted it. Loosened the bolts adjusted the lever some and then Snugged then up good. Rode a bit then repeated till I felt was best spot. Then Fully tightened them back up.

I had my oil changed before Christmas but I don't remember doing anything with my clutch fluid recently. I just got some new boots so maybe it has something to do with that as well and I should adjust the angle. I haven't done any kind of cleaning to it but the guy who owned it before was very hard on it. That's why I had to replace some gears in the tranny!

I don't drag race "How many miles are on it??  Are you engaging the clutch fully before you shift??
Do you blip the throttle on upshift and downshifts to match the revs??"

I just hit 19K and I do fully engage the clutch but I don't know what you mean by that last question. Could you elaborate?
I'm referring to when you downshift into a lower gear to slow the bike down. You can shift down, and release the clutch quickly (very bad for clutch and tranny) or you can blip the throttle as you release the clutch so that the engine speed is closer to the speed the tranny input shaft is spinning at (better for your tranny and engine).

Back