Considering a Hayabusa

We are close to the same age and Im no mechanic. I bought my 06 busa brand new and still have it. I think the bike is pretty much bullet proof. About the only problems I have really heard about to any degree is the front fork seals going out sooner than they should. my first set didnt last a year. Never rode a 14 but ive read its more comfy for a sport type bike than the busa. New 14's have more power than the busa. Better updates I would think. Or so Im told. If you could wait to see if there is a new g3 busa for next year that might be a good idea depending on what you are looking for.

Hayabusa by far , and i am a Kawasaki guy noet the avatar Kaw engine . You could not give me a ZX14 , but I am jealous you can get a center stand for a ZX14 . Go research how many 100,000 mile ZX14's exist . Then do the same for the bird . Many over 100 thousand miles . SCAR has 200, 000 plus on one of his four birds .
I have miles on both bikes , and the ZX is a school bus in handling department . My ZX11D was a better corner carver with upgraded suspension . ZX12 handled better bone stock . Now if you have to have the bragging rights 1441R is more power stock by 20 plus hp , but a uncorked bird gen 2 lays down a good 185 average hp with pipe / ecu flash / Tune . Its still not 192 hp 1441R but its easy to work on .

We are close to the same age and Im no mechanic. I bought my 06 busa brand new and still have it. I think the bike is pretty much bullet proof. About the only problems I have really heard about to any degree is the front fork seals going out sooner than they should. my first set didnt last a year. Never rode a 14 but ive read its more comfy for a sport type bike than the busa. New 14's have more power than the busa. Better updates I would think. Or so Im told. If you could wait to see if there is a new g3 busa for next year that might be a good idea depending on what you are looking for.
May buy a new 2016 Hayabusa?

Hayabusa by far , and i am a Kawasaki guy noet the avatar Kaw engine . You could not give me a ZX14 , but I am jealous you can get a center stand for a ZX14 . Go research how many 100,000 mile ZX14's exist . Then do the same for the bird . Many over 100 thousand miles . SCAR has 200, 000 plus on one of his four birds .
I have miles on both bikes , and the ZX is a school bus in handling department . My ZX11D was a better corner carver with upgraded suspension . ZX12 handled better bone stock . Now if you have to have the bragging rights 1441R is more power stock by 20 plus hp , but a uncorked bird gen 2 lays down a good 185 average hp with pipe / ecu flash / Tune . Its still not 192 hp 1441R but its easy to work on .
Had no idea a center stand was available for the 14R.

Then maintenance-wise it's no contest. The Hayabusa is about as rock solid platform as you will find in any segment, this combined with the peerless support mechanism here at the ORG and you'll be fine for as long as you own it.

Does the Hayabusa run cool temperature?

Any opinions out there? Am considering buying a Hayabusa or ZX14R, and getting back to riding. What bike is easier to maintain overall? Am 55.
Welcome to the forum. Don’t take this in a bad way, but a hayabusa forum is not the best place to get unbiased opinion. That being said, I recently added a Kawasaki concours to the garage knowing that a valve adjustment is a BIG PITA on those(and they actually need it, so can’t really skip that maintenance). I’m in love with the concours, but my busa won’t be going anywhere.

Any opinions out there? Am considering buying a Hayabusa or ZX14R, and getting back to riding. What bike is easier to maintain overall? Am 55.
One question is when did you last ride a bike ? Over here we get the " born again " riders who come back after many years out of the saddle, often to bad endings . If you need to refresh your skills b4 jumping onto a bike like the "busa " of the zx14 then getting something smaller first might be a better long term plan . On the BIG question the busa is a better bike handling wise and value for money too. Ride Safe bro. Mike from New Zealand

I own both an 08 ZX-14 and an 08 busa and I love both so I think my view is pretty impartial.

What bike is easier to maintain overall?
The routine items you adress are much easier with either a Gen 1 or Gen2 ZX-14. Any year 06 to present. The oil change does not require fairing removal for filter or drain plug. It is very easy compared to a busa wich has more difficult fairings and they have to come off or be unfastened and pulled apart (if you can figure that out) to change oil.

The 14's air filter is changed just by removing the fuel tank cover. The busa requires fairing removal, fuel tank lift and the air box cover has to be removed.

For clean and lube, the 14 has a little better access to the drive chain if you remove the belly pan.

Spark plugs are easier to reach on the 14.

Brakes are far superior on any 14 unless you get a busa with the stock Brembo setup, those might be better.

The 14 is more upright in riding position but if you ask me it is not a very big dif between the two.

The buas is heavier but it feels lighter. There's differing opinions but I feel the stocj busa handles much better than the stoch 14 at all speeds. Never rode a Gen2 ZX-14 but I doubt it is much dif than the gen1 in handling--although owners of the gen2 say it handles better than the gen1.

When it comes to sport riding, the busa feels more like a race machine in every aspect except brakes.

Better torque, better wheelies. Powerband increases to redline where the 14 flattens off early.

More refined exhaust note.

Stock steering damper.

Better swing arm to accept many sizes of sprockets and tires.

GOOD stock suspension--the 14 has forks that are a bit floaty.

A huge selection of aftermarket parts.

With suspension upgrades, a higher rear tire and removing a lot of unnecessary parts, a Gen 1 ZX-14 can be made to handle a little better than a stock busa. But I'm sure you could do that all to the busa if you're going to to do it and still come out on top.

The busa's resale value is a lot better.

If you want the best of both world's, power, performance, comfort and easy maintenance, a Gen2 ZX-14 is probably the best choice, currently. The new engine in the 2012-present ZX-14 give an edge in hp over the busa but it is now at least as heavy as the busa, too. I've been told the feel of the Gen2 ZX-14 is only a subtle improvement over the Gen1. I think the extra power will only be valuable for bragging rights or racing. These are all big heavy bikes and even 20 hp is not a world of difference. I'd sure take it though!

Really, you can't loose with either bike. They both are awesome. Pick the one you like the best and you can work with improving what you want.

Last edited:
if there is a new g3 busa for next year that might be a good idea depending on what you are looking for.
That's the thing to do if you are really concerned about performance. It's been talked about for so many years that I will give up after 2019. The Gen2 ZX-14 will reign unless some other company starts making hyperbikes. ..and I have this little hunch that's how it will play out.

I own both an 08 ZX-14 and an 08 busa and I love both so I think my view is pretty impartial.

The routine items you adress are much easier with either a Gen 1 or Gen2 ZX-14. Any year 06 to present. The oil change does not require fairing removal for filter or drain plug. It is very easy compared to a busa wich has more difficult fairings and they have to come off or be unfastened and pulled apart (if you can figure that out) to change oil.

The 14's air filter is changed just by removing the fuel tank cover. The busa requires fairing removal, fuel tank lift and the air box cover has to be removed.

For clean and lube, the 14 has a little better access to the drive chain if you remove the belly pan.

Spark plugs are easier to reach on the 14.

Brakes are far superior on any 14 unless you get a busa with the stock Brembo setup, those might be better.

The 14 is more upright in riding position but if you ask me it is not a very big dif between the two.

The buas is heavier but it feels lighter. There's differing opinions but I feel the stocj busa handles much better than the stoch 14 at all speeds. Never rode a Gen2 ZX-14 but I doubt it is much dif than the gen1 in handling--although owners of the gen2 say it handles better than the gen1.

When it comes to sport riding, the busa feels more like a race machine in every aspect except brakes.

Better torque, better wheelies. Powerband increases to redline where the 14 flattens off early.

More refined exhaust note.

Stock steering damper.

Better swing arm to accept many sizes of sprockets and tires.

GOOD stock suspension--the 14 has forks that are a bit floaty.

A huge selection of aftermarket parts.

With suspension upgrades, a higher rear tire and removing a lot of unnecessary parts, a Gen 1 ZX-14 can be made to handle a little better than a stock busa. But I'm sure you could do that all to the busa if you're going to to do it and still come out on top.

The busa's resale value is a lot better.

If you want the best of both world's, power, performance, comfort and easy maintenance, a Gen2 ZX-14 is probably the best choice, currently. The new engine in the 2012-present ZX-14 give an edge in hp over the busa but it is now at least as heavy as the busa, too. I've been told the feel of the Gen2 ZX-14 is only a subtle improvement over the Gen1. I think the extra power will only be valuable for bragging rights or racing. These are all big heavy bikes and even 20 hp is not a world of difference. I'd sure take it though!

Really, you can't loose with either bike. They both are awesome. Pick the one you like the best and you can work with improving what you want.
Thanks, I have test rode a ZX14R but hoping to ride the Hayabusa at bike week in Daytona, if Suzuki offers test rides this year. Also any tips of what may be good insurance company to cover bike.? I like the design of both bikes, planning to keep bike mostly in stock form.

200000 miles on a few documented busas... good god man.. what a robust motor... the biggest difference between the busa motor and the 1441 zx14 is that the zx comes with a ported head from the factory... with lots of compression... a 1397 busa(big bore kit) yields very similar power with a ported head.. if you are into these things. Very few dispute the fact that the busa motor is the sturdier design and many mods are available and common.

200000 miles on a few documented busas... good god man.. what a robust motor... the biggest difference between the busa motor and the 1441 zx14 is that the zx comes with a ported head from the factory... with lots of compression... a 1397 busa(big bore kit) yields very similar power with a ported head.. if you are into these things. Very few dispute the fact that the busa motor is the sturdier design and many mods are available and common.
and don't misunderstand me... with enough compression and crazy cams.. 230 rear wheel is possible... but probably beats the valvetrain to death

One question is when did you last ride a bike ? Over here we get the " born again " riders who come back after many years out of the saddle, often to bad endings . If you need to refresh your skills b4 jumping onto a bike like the "busa " of the zx14 then getting something smaller first might be a better long term plan . On the BIG question the busa is a better bike handling wise and value for money too. Ride Safe bro. Mike from New Zealand
Have owned nine new bikes over the years, have ridden the 14R - its been a few years since having a new motorcycle, but feel A OK to get back to riding, for fun, I ride within my comfort zone. Thanks., Mike

Back