Condensation in oil sight glass, new turbo problem?

Dr. M

Registered
I've finished putting on a Velocity Stage 1 turbo on my 2008 Gen II. Here is what I have done:

Put in as much coolant as possible before taking it off the lift.
Fired the bike and ran it for about 15 minutes total to check fuel pressure, etc. Temp never above normal.
Then took it off the stand and finished filling the coolant.

Now when I start the bike and let it get warm the oil sight glass shows vapor. I thought maybe this was condensation from the bike sitting so long; it took me weeks to find time to finish this install. I drained the oil (there went $60 of new synthetic) and refilled it with new synthetic and another new filter. Started it up again and the vapor returned.

The engine is no longer vented through the PAIR or any other factory system. I put on a set of block plates and totally removed the PAIR system. I also took out the reed valve in the crankcase vent, added a tubing fitting and have the crankcase vented through a small K&N filter.

So, is it condensation or did I lose the head gasket before the first ride? If I want an analysis of my old oil, where does one take it when they live in the sticks???

To say the least, my stomach is in knots!
Steve

re: Condensation in oil sight glass, new turbo problem?

Well, thanks for all the help!:whistle: Hopefully people just weren't around or reading or something and I haven't offended anyone here...

I confirmed my problem is just condensation. The oil is clear and there is just a hint of vapor on the sight glass this morning. Ken at Velocity Racing tells me this can be normal and that I would be pushing water out the radiator overflow if the head gasket was leaking and my oil would be creamy in color and consistency.

Steve

Sorry bro, I read your post but I dont know enough to comment on the issue. If you did have water in your oil it would look milky. But I have never seen condensation in the sight glass. I am going to modify your thread title to get more interest. PM sent Dr. M.

Last edited:
Back