Crankcase Vent Issue

4g63rc

Registered
Turbo Guys,

Have a gen 2, that i just built, that is having an occasional crankcase venting issue. While the bike is on the Dyno, there is no problem, it is only when I make a hard run down the road, but even then, not every time I will puke some oil out of the crankcase vent. I have an RCC stage 2 setup, brand new cylinders, head, pistons, about 800 road miles, and, 3 or 4 hours of dyno time, on 2 fuels now. My crankcase vent is as per RCC instructions, which the hose isn't very long. I did remove the factory tower looking OEM crankcase vent, for a low profile, due to lack of room down in that area, because it is an ABS bike, So you have even less area to work with. I also installed an oil pan baffle. Just throwing that out there as a possibility. Looking for some suggestions
Thanks
RC

you know that the standard gearbox´s "dome"
has a kind of maze that slows down the air flow and separates by that oil,
which then runs back into the transmission ?

if the gearbox´s "exhaust gas" is very heavily laden with oil,
it could be that the blow-by is too strong.

my tip would be to do a pressure loss test on all 4 cylinders (not a compression test) to find out how much pressure flows past the piston into the gearbox.

you know that the standard geBerlin Germanyarbox´s "dome"
has a kind of maze that slows down the air flow and separates by that oil,
which then runs back into the transmission ?

if the gearbox´s "exhaust gas" is very heavily laden with oil,
it could be that the blow-by is too strong.

my tip would be to do a pressure loss test on all 4 cylinders (not a compression test) to find out how much pressure flows past the piston into the gearbox.
Hi. Very good idear Berlin Germany. In USA speak a leak down test.

@michael parris heuberger

yeah buddy

thats the biggest issue - i learned at school the british english
and thats in parts different to your american

whenever i said "my dear" to a british man he never thought i spoke gay to him

and google translator is hard to use,
if u have no knowledge at all of a foreign language.

so i have allways to think about the there translated words if they are sensefull or not.

but i try to do my very best. :)

@michael parris heuberger

yeah buddy

thats the biggest issue - i learned at school the british english
and thats in parts different to your american

whenever i said "my dear" to a british man he never thought i spoke gay to him

and google translator is hard to use,
if u have no knowledge at all of a foreign language.

so i have allways to think about the there translated words if they are sensefull or not.

but i try to do my very best. :)
you do awesome

coming from someone who is barely literate in one language

Put the OEM vent cover back on. The low profile covers do not have any baffling at all and will cause more oil issues. That said, you will likely have blowby and occasional oil issues when running higher boost.
If you must have an aftermarket cover, there are covers available that include baffles, however the OEM covers work pretty well.

Thanks Everyone!! I appreciate the feedback. I do like the stock tower, but when you run the stock fuel pump sending unit in the fuel tank, so you can have a gas gauge, the fuel hose coming out of the tank becomes a problem. And as i mentioned, I have ABS that takes up the whole left side of the area under the tank. So the area under the right side of the tank is all that's left, and the fuel pressure regulator lives there, just under the injectors. I may give the DME cover a try, and or do a catch can, ran one on my turbo talon. Thanks again all.
Rich C:

Ok...purchased an OTC brand leak down tester, tested engine. As a reminder, this is a new turbo build. New cylinders, pistons, and head. Leak down averaged out to 6% total. So the rings, valves, head gasket ETC... are all good, definitely a worthwhile test. I am an aircraft mechanic, so I am rather meticulous in my engine work, even though its not a jet engine. Had doubts that leak down was my problem, but worth the check, everyone makes mistakes, and now I have another new tool. I purchase the DME Double Decker breather cover, which is not small, but not as tall as the factory, still leaves me some room in a busy area. Has the same baffle system the OEM outside the reed valve. Problem solved!!!! The very low profile cover has NO baffle, and is just basically a plate. As I stated earlier in my post, bike would not puke oil on the dyno doing all the hard pulls, only on the street, when G forces were at work on the oil. I appreciate all the advice that was given. Like to share results, that way everyone learns, and keeps this a viable site for information. Special thanks to Berlin Germany, and Dustin02.
Thanks Everyone
Rich C:
ddb_bc_hayabusa_05-350x263.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

Ok...purchased an OTC brand leak down tester, tested engine. As a reminder, this is a new turbo build. New cylinders, pistons, and head. Leak down averaged out to 6% total. So the rings, valves, head gasket ETC... are all good, definitely a worthwhile test. I am an aircraft mechanic, so I am rather meticulous in my engine work, even though its not a jet engine. Had doubts that leak down was my problem, but worth the check, everyone makes mistakes, and now I have another new tool. I purchase the DME Double Decker breather cover, which is not small, but not as tall as the factory, still leaves me some room in a busy area. Has the same baffle system the OEM outside the reed valve. Problem solved!!!! The very low profile cover has NO baffle, and is just basically a plate. As I stated earlier in my post, bike would not puke oil on the dyno doing all the hard pulls, only on the street, when G forces were at work on the oil. I appreciate all the advice that was given. Like to share results, that way everyone learns, and keeps this a viable site for information. Special thanks to Berlin Germany, and Dustin02.
Thanks Everyone
Rich C:
View attachment 1665858

View attachment 1665857
Hi. I have just went out and bought the same one from DME. They are so very good to buy from.
Hell yeah man! Glad it all worked out for you!
Hi. This is a live one. Photos in side and out. Now to finish painting the DME logo and to order the 4 aluminum purple bolts.

20230428_194808.jpg

20230428_194740.jpg

20230428_194729.jpg

Thanks Everyone
Rich C:
View attachment 1665858

View attachment 1665857
I didn't catch the post soon enough. I could have saved you some money.

PXL_20230505_003407749.jpg

Back