Competition Accessories

NMBusa

Registered
If you have given this company your business in the past like I have you may want to re-think any future purchases. I have worn Arai helmets for 15+ years I started looking for a new dirt / dual sport helmet. I noticed the Arai XD was not my shell type, so the sales person at Competition Accessories suggested I try the new Shoei Hornet DS. I asked what if I don’t like it, what if it does not fit? He stated no problem we accept returned helmets for exchange as long as it is in the same shape it was shipped in. So I received this Shoei when I get it out of the box I find the upper shield laying in the helmet bag with three of the very cheap plastic screws broken also there were some very light scratches on the side of the lid (prolly from the shield rubbing). Ok so I call Comp Acc for a new set of screws while I have them on the phone I tell them of the scratches the sales guy says no big deal things like that happen during shipping. So after 2 weeks I receive my plastic screws meanwhile I have been wearing this Shoei around the house it does not fit me very well and is just not an Arai. So I put on the visor with the new screws try and learn to like this helmet but just can’t do it. So I call Comp Acc up get my returned lined out and send it on its way. 4 days after I send it I receive a email stating they will not accept the helmet for exchange due to damage now get this the damage they wrote about in the email is exactly what I told the sales guy about. So today I call and speak with the manager I give him dates, times, sales person spoken with, etc. All to no avail he has decided my helmet can’t be exchanged WTF and get this he has never even seen the helmet. So to make this long story shorter I won’t be giving them any more of my business.

That's a tough situation to be in. If it was me though I would have returned the helmet as soon as I saw it was broke instead of spending the time trying to fix a brand new helmet. Hind sight is always 20/20 though so like I said it's a tough situation to be in.

Why did you not ship it right back as is, if it had scratches on it you weren't going to keep it anyway. You could have just tried it on to see if it fits right an box it back up an send it back. Sorry for the bad experience you had with them an being stuck with the bad lid :down:

The thing is without the visor the shield does not stay on so I wanted to experiance the whole helmet before sending it back. And the scratches hell first its a all black helmet, next they are so light you can barley see them. Now had this been a new street bike helmet yeah I would not want any scratches but a dirt bike lid is a different story they get used and dirty, scratched whatever.

I hate to say it but there is no way I would have taken a product that was damaged out of the box. New product that comes in damage = immediate return. As soon as you starting trying to "fix" that helmet you accepted it as yours.

Tell him that your 6' 6" tall 250 lb. friend that lives in Eaton, Ohio will be visiting the day after Thanksgiving to help him change his mind and that I will be walking out with the correct helmet.

Tell him that your 6' 6" tall 250 lb. friend that lives in Eaton, Ohio will be visiting the day after Thanksgiving to help him change his mind and that I will be walking out with the correct helmet.

Haha your the man, us big guys need to stick together.

I hate to say it but there is no way I would have taken a product that was damaged out of the box. New product that comes in damage = immediate return. As soon as you starting trying to "fix" that helmet you accepted it as yours.

That will be my SOP next time I recieve anything by mail.

Did you use a Credit Card to pay ? If you did, let the credit card company know you are disputing the purchase. Then, follow their dispute proceedures. That prevents him from getting $$$$$ from the Credit Card Company :laugh:

Did you use a Credit Card to pay ? If you did, let the credit card company know you are disputing the purchase. Then, follow their dispute proceedures. That prevents him from getting $$$$$ from the Credit Card Company :laugh:

Good ideal, ill look into that.

I'm sorry for your aggravation but it's a real reminder how important it is to use OUR SPONSORS!
If I find a $600 helmet for $400 locally, I'll buy it, otherwise just sponsors. Also, I got burned years ago, just like you, with a "mail order helmet" and never again. Most of those companies are purely quantity, not personal service.
Raydog

I would never keep damaged goods...should have tried it on for fit. If it did fit, tell them to send you a new one. If it did not fit...send me back my $$$ :rulez:

NM Busa do what the poster said about contesting the purchase. Your CC company will go back and withhold the dollars in escrow until the dispute is resolved. You will need to follow the procedures which include writing a detailed letter. Believe me once the dollars are pulled from their account you will get satisfaction. Your CC company has the money, you have the helmet and what do they have? A problem they will have to fix.

Next time don't wait if the helmet is damaged in any way send it back or get them to adjust the purchase price. Wardie

Update

This afternoon I talked with one of the owners named Jamie. The helmet is on its way back to Comp Acc so will see how things shake out over the next week. Ill post up when I have more info.

They won't be getting any of my money either. If they can't stand by what they say, who need them...

If you have given this company your business in the past like I have you may want to re-think any future purchases. I have worn Arai helmets for 15+ years I started looking for a new dirt / dual sport helmet. I noticed the Arai XD was not my shell type, so the sales person at Competition Accessories suggested I try the new Shoei Hornet DS. I asked what if I don’t like it, what if it does not fit? He stated no problem we accept returned helmets for exchange as long as it is in the same shape it was shipped in. So I received this Shoei when I get it out of the box I find the upper shield laying in the helmet bag with three of the very cheap plastic screws broken also there were some very light scratches on the side of the lid (prolly from the shield rubbing). Ok so I call Comp Acc for a new set of screws while I have them on the phone I tell them of the scratches the sales guy says no big deal things like that happen during shipping. So after 2 weeks I receive my plastic screws meanwhile I have been wearing this Shoei around the house it does not fit me very well and is just not an Arai. So I put on the visor with the new screws try and learn to like this helmet but just can’t do it. So I call Comp Acc up get my returned lined out and send it on its way. 4 days after I send it I receive a email stating they will not accept the helmet for exchange due to damage now get this the damage they wrote about in the email is exactly what I told the sales guy about. So today I call and speak with the manager I give him dates, times, sales person spoken with, etc. All to no avail he has decided my helmet can’t be exchanged WTF and get this he has never even seen the helmet. So to make this long story shorter I won’t be giving them any more of my business.

Just curious. How many days total did you wait until you sent the helmet back from the day you received it? I've been dealing with them for the last 4 years and never had any problems with anything.

Just curious. How many days total did you wait until you sent the helmet back from the day you received it? I've been dealing with them for the last 4 years and never had any problems with anything.

Not sure, I work out of town & sometimes out of the country. I put in a call for the new screws, I was home for about 2 weeks after the call. Went back to work with no screws in hand. Maybe a few months total. But there policy states returns are excepted if in new condition. It does not say anything about time limits. Either way its in the mail as I write this so will see what happens comes mid next week.

Back