Comparo, anyone know

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone come across an article or do you really know how the litre bikes stack up?  ( 800-1K cc )

AMA super bikes / World super bikes SBK / Moto GP ?

Speed, power, lap times on the same track ... ?

- K

Here are some lap times from Laguna.

Fastest Lap ever by a motorcycle at Laguna Seca;
Nicky Hayden 122.670 Qualifying Lap 2005

MotoGP Laguna 2006
Fastest Qualifying---Chris Vermeulen  123.168
Fastest Race Lap----Danny Pedrosa    123.333

WSBK Laguna
Fastest 2002 Qualifying----Troy Bayliss     124.833
Fastest 2004 Race Lap-----Haga Noriyuki  125.475

AMA Superbike 2006 Laguna
Fastest Qualifying----Ben Spies          124.946
Fastest Race Lap-----Tommy Hayden  126.100

The 800s haven't raced in Laguna, but Laguna is a tight track and the 800s will definately make faster lap times than the 998 MotoGP bikes.

MotoGP; the fastest riders on the fastest bikes on the best tracks
wink.gif

They're prototype bikes that production bikes will never beat. They are those most expensive bikes that have the best parts. Money no object. Mulitmillion dollar machines.

AMA and WSBK are both a production bike series and its possible for an AMA Superbike bike to be faster than a WSBK bike. But you'd need to check the rules in each series to see how many modifications each series allows. Plus I think, think, that the manufacturers put more money into WSBK than AMA.

Thanx Chaz, I kinda thought so. Now I know in racing a full second is huge but for the $$$$ spent on a GP bike you would think the spread would be bigger.
argue.gif

(Kento-Moto @ Jul. 05 2007,22:17) Thanx Chaz,  I kinda thought so. Now I know in racing a full second is huge but for the $$$$ spent on a GP bike you would think the spread would be bigger.    
argue.gif
The difference is much greater on the BIG wide open tracks like Qatar and China. The MotoGP bikes have much greater power/weight ratios and can quickly exceed 200 mph.
The high cost of the MotoGP bikes has more to do with the economy of scale and development cycle. When you only build two bikes and fabricate individual parts by hand, many of which don't quite work out like you wanted.....it costs a lot more than calling the factory and ask them to send over a dozen motors out of the stockpile. Oh and forks...send 2 dozen of those too.
tounge.gif

Laguna is the smallest tighest track and it stands to reason that motogp bikes will increase the spread on bigger longer tracks.

Laguna was the easiest one to compare though because its the only US track WSBK and MotoGP have been to.
wink.gif

Plus my math says the motogp bikes are 2 seconds quicker
tounge.gif

After 40 laps, that's almost a 1.5 minutes
wow.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Jul. 05 2007,22:54) Laguna is the smallest tighest track and it stands to reason that motogp bikes will increase the spread on bigger longer tracks.

Laguna was the easiest one to compare though because its the only US track WSBK and MotoGP have been to.  
wink.gif

tounge.gif

wow.gif
If the math is good....Mladin/Spies would get lapped  
AAAssjani.gif

(cosmo @ Jul. 05 2007,22:59)
(Charlesbusa @ Jul. 05 2007,22:54) Laguna is the smallest tighest track and it stands to reason that motogp bikes will increase the spread on bigger longer tracks.

wink.gif

tounge.gif

wow.gif
If the math is good....Mladin/Spies would get lapped  
AAAssjani.gif
wow.gif

Yup, looking at race lap times and I think the race is around 40 laps, that means Mlandin and Spies do get lapped
beerchug.gif

wow.gif

My bad, the Laguna motogp race is 32 laps.

So the results go like this  
tounge.gif

WSBK is 1 minute and 8.544 seconds behind the motogp bike

and

AMA is 1 minute and 28.544 seconds behind the motogp bike, which means AMA Superbike does get lapped by a motogp bike in a race  
wow.gif

Cool!
cool.gif

I didnt think so much in lap times but tis true what u say.

I was wondering if cyleworld or another source did a side x side of HP and acceleration, top speed ...

oh and math ... whats that?
crazy.gif

You won't find any HP numbers from the GP bikes.  Its all super secret hush hush.

The best info is the 998ccGP bikes put out 250+HP and the 800ccGP bikes put out 230+HP.

How big is the plus...  
rock.gif
   they won't say    
argue.gif

And for Top Speed, those bikes never go off the track so we'll never know what the Top Speed could be for a MotoGP bike, its just not important.
But at China, a track with a very long straight;
990ccGP bike did 343.7km/h or 213.6mph
800ccGP bike did 337.2km/h or 209.5mph
the straight is 1202m or 3/4 of a mile.

Back