Maxton Top Speed Challenge in Sept. Anyone going?

rotts4u

Registered
I just wanted to remind everyone once again about the upcoming event in Sept. I just got the custom patches made for the winners and they look good. We also have a new jacket sponsor as well. More details on that later when we have the exact style picked out. So who is going to be able to wear one of these on their back in 08?

View attachment 1592750

This is the third annual Top Speed Shootout at Maxton during the ECTA September 2008 event. As before there will be 6 classes plus the closest to 150.000mph.

The rules are basically unchanged for 2008 except that we are raising the displacement of the lowest class from 600cc to 650cc to allow the Kawasaki ZX-636 bikes to compete.

Of course all bikes need to comply to the standard ECTA safety rules then just as before SSB has our own rule set to keep this a "street based" event. Here are the classes and extra rules we are using. There are just 4 simple rules. Then below that are the classes we are going to run. Last year we had some really fast bikes and we gave away some cool jackets to the winners too.

Check it out

1. All bikes must have a 2008 tag in your state and the tag must be on the bike for the entire meet. We will require you to present your registration paperwork. If you are a licensed dealer and the dealership owns the bike, you must present your dealership license, dealer tag, and be prepared to show that the owner of the dealership is the rider.
2. The bike must have a working headlight and tail light.
3. The bike must be ridden by the registered owner from Rule #1. This means NO JOCKEYS.
4. All bikes must comply with MPS, APS, P/P or P/PS classes from the ECTA rule book. This basically means everything is allowed except streamliners.

If an item is not specifically covered above, we will defer to the ECTA rule book other than the differences in engine displacements which are below:

650cc Any engine displacement that can be obtained from a production set of engine cases and made for a bike that originally had under 650cc. For example a GSXR600 can be bored and or stroked as far as you are mechanically able and it will still be allowed to compete in the 650cc class. This also means that 750cc engines or 1000cc engines can not be installed into 650cc frames. The bikes frame must be from an original 650cc bike.

650cc-Power Adder - Same as above but ONE power adder will be allowed. Nitrous, turbo or supercharger. Only ONE.

1000cc Any engine displacement that can be obtained from a production set of engine cases and made for a bike that originally had under 1000cc. For example a ZX-10R can be bored and or stroked as far as you are mechanically able and it will still be allowed to compete in the 1000cc class. This also means that 1200cc engines or larger can not be installed into 1000cc frames. The bike's frame must be from an original 1000cc bike.

1000cc Power Adder - Same as above, but ONE power adder will be allowed. Nitrous, turbo or supercharger. Only ONE.

Unlimited cc - Any production based motorcycle can be used with no limits on engine displacement.

Unlimited cc Power Adder - Same as above, but ONE power adder will be allowed. Nitrous, turbo or supercharger. Only ONE.

Classes:

SSB-650 Super Streetbike 650cc
SSB/P650 Super Streetbike 650cc with power adder
SSB-1000 Super Streetbike 1000cc
SSB/P1000 Super Streetbike 1000cc with power adder
SSB/U Super Streetbike Unlimited
SSB/PU Super Streetbike Unlimited with power adder
SSB/150 Super Streetbike 150MPH index class (closest to 150.0000 wins)

I'm going to make an honest attepmt to wheel the ol'lady and the kid down.

Since the top (5) fastest bikes at Maxton all have turbo chargers. I will be there taking some pictures. Should be fun.
thumb_up.gif

It seems that nitrous bikes just dont hang compared to Turbos these days and it didnt always used to be that way. Same is true on the AMA Dragbike series too. They have to give a lot of technical breaks to the nitrous bikes to even come close to the turbos in the 1/4 mile. I wonder if it is truly physics? Or have turbos just developed farther down the road these last 5-6 years?

If we can ever get enough nitrous bikes to compete we would of course be willing to break the top class into all motor, nitrous, and then turbos. But lately there have only been 1-3 bikes at Maxton running in the nitrous classes. You and Tiger racing mostly. Jim Owen used to come and went over 218 on his old ZX-12. But I have not seen him in a while.

It seems that nitrous bikes just dont hang compared to Turbos these days and it didnt always used to be that way. Same is true on the AMA Dragbike series too. They have to give a lot of technical breaks to the nitrous bikes to even come close to the turbos in the 1/4 mile. I wonder if it is truly physics? Or have turbos just developed farther down the road these last 5-6 years?

If we can ever get enough nitrous bikes to compete we would of course be willing to break the top class into all motor, nitrous, and then turbos. But lately there have only been 1-3 bikes at  Maxton running in the nitrous classes. You and Tiger racing mostly. Jim Owen used to come and went over 218 on his old ZX-12. But I have not seen him in a while.
Well its pretty simple. How can you make 600 HP safely on a NOS bike, most of the fast turbo bikes have 500-600HP or more. If you think its possible to put a 400 shot on a bike I would build it.......care to sponsor the project...
laugh.gif

Not knocking the turbo bikes but its like fighting the man in the mirror.
deadhorse.gif

If we can ever get enough nitrous bikes to compete we would of course be willing to break the top class into all motor, nitrous, and then turbos. But lately there have only been 1-3 bikes at  Maxton running in the nitrous classes. You and Tiger racing mostly. Jim Owen used to come and went over 218 on his old ZX-12. But I have not seen him in a while.
If I can get everything together in time I may juice mine during the second day and see where things go
woot.gif

Don, just to add there were atleast 10 bikes or more spraying NOS at the last event.  
thumb_up.gif

SCTA member here. Would I need to be an ECTA member and go through licensing first?
Are there any prereq's other than the one's I mentioned, or is it an "Arrive and ride?"

Don,
I'd love to see another break down of classes especially breaking out the nitrous class. I'll be running that meet but there's no point in me joining the challenge unless I try to do 150 on a shake out run. I pretty well can't even be competitive for a nitrous class but at least I might get within 10mph of it! With the ultra turbos running in the 235+ range there's really no point in any of the nitrous bikes participating. It's a shame since nitrous is common on a street set up. The NA bikes have their own little nitch and a few of them are faster then the nitrous bikes. I'm not sure what the answer is but I wouldn't be suprised to see low participation in the power adder unlimited class.

RidgeRunner you absolutely have to be an ECTA member and you should get a rulebook before you come since some of the safety rules are specific to ECTA. You have to go through rookey orientation. Your SCTA license is good at ECTA but if you've never been there before I think you have to do some licensing or a shake out run. I'm not 100% sure how that's being handled. The race director handles some of that on a case by case basis. I think making a pass in the 175/180 range is good if you've already got an A license with SCTA just for track acclimation but that's my opinion and not my call to make. If you do a little checking up front on rules & gear, for the most part you can show up & run.
Deb

I'll be headed down. As my Busa is mainly stock, I'll have a shot at the 150.000 only.

Looking forward to seeing some of the really fast bikes.

In January, I had never heard of ECTA.

I watched Worlds Fastest Indian in February, bought a Busa in April and was shooting for May or June, but former commitments kept me from coming.

I got the last of the safety stuff yesterday, so I should be good to go.

Good luck Bikeguy, I'll see you there in tech! You'll know me, I'll likely be the one fondling your new safety stuff! ;)

Debbie

so a stock class busa is say good only to compete in the 150 class?

Sure wish this was closer to home, would love to spectate

maxton is awesome-- if only didn't have to wait in line so long---

It didn't used to be that way. :cry:

BTW, for those of you that are newbies be sure to double check the following rules before you leave.

ECTA 2008 Motorcycle Rules
Riding Apparel - ECTA 2008 Motorcycle Rules

See y'all there in the tech line & if I don't recognize/remember you please remind me! The crowd is getting big and I have trouble remembering everybody! (I tend to stick out like a sore thumb there! :laugh: )

Debbie

Back